Gransnet forums

House and home

How to clean this wretched thing!

(25 Posts)
Jalima1108 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:06:26

Our window cleaners have the means to clean the conservatory roof and the windows above it without ladders, so a window cleaner with long-reaching equipment should be able to do it.
However - ours does use that new-fangled water system which is rather drippy
hmm

misty100 Thu 22-Nov-18 16:19:07

Contact your local window cleaner. Much easier and more sensible than breaking your neck!!!!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 22-Nov-18 12:22:33

Thanks for the concern. Jalima, it is safe enough standing on the landing, but there is no way I am going to be stupid enough to try getting nearer.

Buffybee the water marks on the wallpaper were attributed by the estate agent to storm damage. Fortunately, there has been no further rain coming in there. We just haven't got round to redecorating the stairs since we moved in two years ago.

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Nov-18 23:56:35

I'm trying to figure.... Two ladders left and right, and a plank .... Hmmm .... A third ladder against the plank... Hmmm...
it is very high.
Looks like a scaffolding job.

allsortsofbags Wed 21-Nov-18 23:36:40

I'm with the leave it and stay safe gang.

I have a similar problem and about 3 years ago we had to have the chimney repointed so I asked the roofer to have a look at our skylight while he was o the roof.

Bless him he gave it a clean and said as it wasn't leaking best to leave well alone.

I wipe the inside with a cloth on a mop but we just have to accept that the outside goes through cleaner or muckier phases depending on the weather.

Don't risk an accident over it, your safety is far more important.

Buffybee Wed 21-Nov-18 23:34:30

I don't mean to worry you but from the photo it looks like there has been water running down the wall from the area of the window.
I could be from your attempts at cleaning the window with the mop.
If not, either the window is leaking or you have a broken/loose roof tile.

cornergran Wed 21-Nov-18 23:26:18

I’d just leave it - but then I’m fairly lazy really smile.

SpringyChicken Wed 21-Nov-18 23:21:55

If it bothers you enough, buy a replacement double glazed window fitted with self cleaning glass . That will take care of the outside dirt.

Luckygirl Wed 21-Nov-18 21:44:21

Here we have two choices: try and clean it and fall and break your neck; or let nature have its way and leave it. I know which I would choose!!

DoraMarr Wed 21-Nov-18 21:35:26

Get a proper man in.

Or woman.

Cherrytree59 Wed 21-Nov-18 17:44:18

I noticed that your window surround is nicely decorated.
I would leave the window until you next decorate and ask whoever is painting to clean the window.

Failing that I have a karcher window vac,
I believe it is possible to purchase a
window vac extension pole.

Please put your safety first grandtante

Synonymous Wed 21-Nov-18 17:33:38

Life is short enough without going in for suicidal activities! Dirt will always be around and even when we are not so just relax and decide not to ever even look in that direction again - please! shock

Blinko Wed 21-Nov-18 17:12:21

At first glance, I thought it was being held up by four wasps….

MiniMoon Wed 21-Nov-18 17:03:25

I think that I've managed to clean the insides of four very high (for me), velux windows twice in all the years that I've lived here. I ask DH but he never seems to get round to it. The outside have never been cleaned. Even the window cleaners, with all their equipment, won't attempt it. I've learnt not to worry about it.

Buffybee Wed 21-Nov-18 16:46:49

I have a couple of high windows. I mentioned to my window cleaner that they were cleaner outside than in as I couldn't reach them.
He offered to do them and now cleans them whenever I ask.
He charges me £2 but I do make them a mug of coffee every other week.

GrandmaMoira Wed 21-Nov-18 16:15:12

I wouldn't worry about cleaning it. I have a skylight which only someone tall and agile with a long ladder could reach to clean inside and cleaning outside would mean a roofer climbing across the roof to reach.

annodomini Wed 21-Nov-18 16:09:34

I suppose a power washer would blow the window inwards, in which case, you could get a new one on your household insurance policy...I think.

Izabella Wed 21-Nov-18 15:26:57

Hose pipe from outside perhaps?

DanniRae Wed 21-Nov-18 15:23:23

Crikey MOnica I have lived in my house with the unwashed windows for 48 years....I know, I know shocking!! blush

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 14:38:44

Looking again at your photo, grandtante, attempting to clean it looks like a recipe for disaster.
Are you standing at the top of the stairs with a chamois on a mop and leaning forwards to reach the window? shock

Don't do it!

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 14:35:02

I had lived in my current house for over 15 years before I found a window cleaner and at least 3 upstairs windows got their first clean since we moved in.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 14:21:36

Will anyone notice?
And, if they do and comment on it, hand them the wash leather on a mop and a ladder.

aggie Wed 21-Nov-18 14:11:39

Leave it , the rain today will either clean it or add to the dirt lol

DanniRae Wed 21-Nov-18 14:05:58

I am shamed to say that I have two really high windows upstairs in my house........I can't possibly reach them so they don't get cleaned! grin

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:53:56

Any bright ideas? The window in question is 8 ft above the step of the stairs directly underneath, it consists of an outer window with old fashioned double glazing held in place by four hasps.

Apart from the difficulty of reaching it, as the inner pane is not hinged, I suspect it will land on my head if the hasps are released!

I got some of the muck of the inner pane by putting a wash leather on the head of a mop, but most of the dirt is on the other side of the double glazing and on the outer window.

The treads of the stair are not either broad or deep enough to accommodate a ladder and there is no access from the roof either.

Admittedly the window lights the stairs, but who dreamed up a window you neither can reach nor clean? Some man totally unaware of housework, I suppose.