Gransnet forums

House and home

Phone and broadband packAge

(13 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:40:18

I dread renewing my contract ever 18 months, customer is horrendous and I keep saying I will move to a alternative provider.Any advise you can give would be appreciated. I would not use TalkTalk..

stree Thu 29-Nov-18 19:10:11

Who is your provider? What package/deal do you have?

Franbern Fri 30-Nov-18 11:04:44

I had a horribly stressing experience when trying to move my BB and telephone provider a couple of months ago.
I had changed to Virgin last year, (having been with the same provider for BB since 1996). Went to Virgin for two reasons, those who used it said how helpful they were AND they send an engineer to the house to set it up.
Yes, I have had no problems at all with them and it is easy to get through to helpline if needed. BUT they are expensive.
So, thinking I could save over £10 per month I found a company called John Lewis Broadband. I assumed (I beleive now wrongly) that they were part of the JL group, who are re-knowned for their good customer service.
The original call to them (I thought just asking, found me actually signing up with them) this was simple and a charming young man at the end of the phone. From then onwards it was a downward cycle.
I will not list the endless problems I had over the next 48 hours, but enough for me, finally, to decide to cancel that agreement (well within the 14 days legally allowed).
Then I had a great battle to get returned to me the money I had paid with the original phone call of a stet-up fee plus one months rental.
Only by finally sending a letter to their Complaints Department and getting my own Bank to take up the matter did I get this money returned to me after several weeks.
Staying with Virgin now, decided the extra cost is worth while not to have the stress.

jusnoneed Fri 30-Nov-18 12:58:42

I have been with Plusnet for the last couple years, their customer service has been easy to use. I was with Virgin years ago and found them getting expensive then, switched to BT for a few years and then Plusnet as they were cheaper (even though BT own them) and recommended by a couple friends. No problems switching.

FlexibleFriend Fri 30-Nov-18 13:40:43

We're with virgin, previously with sky but left because their so called superfast broadband was anything but. With Virgin we go through the annual palaver of telling them we're leaving because they are too expensive, get put through to retention's and get offered a better deal which we graciously accept.

Liz46 Fri 30-Nov-18 13:53:04

Like jusnoneed, we use Plusnet for broadband and mobile phones. If you have broadband with them, you get a cheaper mobile contract. I pay £5 a month and it is perfectly adequate for me.

Jane10 Fri 30-Nov-18 14:38:10

I recently complained to BT about a big increase in their bill. Result a revamped much better package at a lower price. Long boring phone calls to organise it all but I ended up with all sorts of extras and updates. Only snag was that the new (free) router and TV box was too complicated for me to set up but luckily DDs friend did it for me. I'm very happy with it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Nov-18 14:41:41

I am also with Plusnet and have been for over 5 years. I rarely pay more than £15 a month with a separate fiver for my mobile connection. I like the "free" hour on my landline 24/7. They have always been very helpful.

Luckylegs9 Fri 30-Nov-18 15:55:16

Well I have set the wheels in motion, I want to deal with a company that is uk based, my problems dealing with talk talk was you never got the same person twice, they kept you hanging on, you could spend 1 1/2 hours on the phone trying to get a problem sorted, apart from that it was a good, but I used to dread contacting them, especially at renewal times.

stree Sat 01-Dec-18 11:54:37

Been with BT since 2007 and no complaints.
After rental paid in advance every year now costs £15 for 75Mbps unlimited, call blocker, anytime calls and roaming wifi
never had downtime, customer service great, chat box or phone get answered quickly.
Get a renewed discount every year, just ask for value team .

Luckylegs9 Sun 02-Dec-18 11:30:29

I don't know how you all get such good deal, I try but come up against a brick wall. Still anxious about this changeover as my current provider is difficult and already putting obstacles in place.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 11:40:37

I've been with Virgin Media for 10 years and earlier this year they hiked their prices again. I spent quite a while on the phone to their customer services and they looked at the average data I was using and decided that I was paying for far more than I ever actually used. Package was renegotiated and the costs reduced by £17.50 per month. It's worth asking.

jusnoneed Sun 02-Dec-18 11:55:53

I never had dealings with the provider I was leaving Luckylegs9 , everything taken care of by the new one once I'd opted to switch to them. They arranged the switch over, gave me the date it would happen and opened new account etc. I don't know how your old one can put up obstacles.