Gransnet forums

House and home

self cleaning ovens

(21 Posts)
Fennel Sun 02-Dec-18 11:57:25

We bought a new electric oven in July, and I'm pleased with it.
This morning husband decided to try the self-cleaning programme. It's not really dirty, and the only parts that need cleaning are the shelves, which you have to remove anyway. And you have to clean the glass door manually.
I never open-roast.
It's still on now and we've had to open the front and back doors for the fumes.
All in all I think it's not necessary.
What do others think?

cornergran Sun 02-Dec-18 13:28:04

Our oven self clean function doesn't work terribly well so we don't use it. We clean ours ourselves, rather Mr C does if I'm honest, with one of those proprietary cleaners with a big bag to put the shelves in. If it starts to look too mucky we will organise a professional oven clean. This one isn't old enough yet to need it, our last oven was professionally cleaned every three years with Mr C doing it in between. Hope the fumes clear quickly.

SueDonim Sun 02-Dec-18 13:28:58

I have a a self-cleaning oven. It doesn't really do the job properly because, as you note, shelves etc have to be done by hand. My particular oven doesn't clean very well around the door either, so that needs extra attention.

However, my oven is floor standing so it does save me having to get down on my hands and knees to clean at the back.

It is a bit smelly but it soon dissipates and in winter, it's very cosy!

M0nica Sun 02-Dec-18 14:16:05

My oven has a coating that stops things sticking. There is no separate self cleaning system.

It works well, I only need to clean the base, which I wipe over every time I use the oven and give the racks a scrub every few months.

midgey Sun 02-Dec-18 14:27:02

If you put the racks/shelves in the dishwasher on a fairly regular basis it keeps them pretty clean.

Fennel Mon 03-Dec-18 12:15:06

Thanks for the replies - we still haven't cleaned the shelves.
In our last house the sink was big enough to put shelves to soak, but not here.
Husband even took the door off to clean it, but I think (hope) he's realised it's not worth all the effort.

fiorentina51 Mon 03-Dec-18 13:55:34

I had a Miele self cleaning oven which reminded you when it needed the pyrolytic function to be used. Worked OK for a year or two but the started to play up, usually the door refused to lock or the oven didn't reach the required temperature.
Two years ago, on Christmas day, it decided it wouldn't cook the turkey.? Fortunately we had another,smaller oven we could use.
The cooker behaved itself for a few months afterwards but, eventually, the usual problems flared up again.
On being told that the required part plus labour would set us back over £1000, we decided to get rid of the fancy if temperamental oven and buy a cheaper one.
Not had any problems.....yet, but I do have to clean it myself now. ?

Auntieflo Mon 03-Dec-18 14:38:45

I’ve just taken the oven racks out of the dishwasher. Brings them up a treat. I wipe the door each time I use it, so it never gets too mucky. ?. Kitchen goddess ? Moi??

Franbern Mon 03-Dec-18 15:17:12

My sister in law swears by these self-cleaning ovens. For myself I prefer to get someone in every year to clean mine. Does a marvellous job, comes up like new and my oven is about 14 years of age.

MawBroon Mon 03-Dec-18 15:57:11

I have booked Ovenu as my Christmas pressie to myself smile

Fennel Mon 03-Dec-18 17:21:34

So once a year is average. We haven't got a dishwasher.

NanaMacGeek Mon 03-Dec-18 20:28:45

My pyrolitic oven is brilliant. It reminds me when it needs cleaning, I take out the non-stick shelves and set the cleaning cycle. The oven gets very hot but doesn't smell. Once cooled, there is a fine white dust which I just wipe away. Even the glass door is shiny. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Purpledaffodil Mon 03-Dec-18 20:28:55

I used to have a self cleaning pyrolytic AEG oven. It did a great job and I even put Pyrex dishes that needed cleaning. Now have a lovely Rangemaster whose ovens have a speckled coating which book says does not need cleaning. Too new to know how true this is, but I’m putting racks in the dishwasher as advised and wiping doors down too. frequently. So far after three months it still looks amazingly unused. ?

SpringyChicken Mon 03-Dec-18 22:18:52

I have catalytic oven liners on the walls and ceiling of my oven and as I regularly use the oven at 200C or higher, don't need to do anything else. I put the shelves and the glass light covers in the dishwasher , every week if poss and they are like new. The grill pan is placed on the lowest shelf with a liner so the floor is kept mostly clean. I wipe the glass door over with Astonish oven cleaner paste which is brilliant so keeping the oven clean is really easy.

glasstecwindows Wed 05-Dec-18 06:12:35

My oven has a coating that stops things sticking. There is no separate self cleaning system.

max21 Fri 11-Jan-19 05:45:52

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MawBroon Fri 11-Jan-19 07:11:10

<sigh>
They give themselves away.
Reported

BlueSapphire Sat 12-Jan-19 22:14:03

I manage ok with mine mostly, except with this new (2 years old) cooker, the splashes get between the two layers of glass in the oven door. But I am able to slide the inner glass out and clean it and also the reverse of the outer glass. It's a bit of a faff, but I only ever do it a couple of times a year. And I always have a heavy duty liner on the floor of the oven. The sides, back and roof are self cleaning.

jeanie99 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:31:58

I have self cleaning linings in my large oven, sides back and top.
To clean I need to keep the oven on at a very high temperature for the linings to clean.
Considering the cost of electricity I do not use this facility.
The metal floor of the large oven and all sides of my top oven I use Oven Pride to clean.
Gloves on before going to bed cover the areas to be cleaned (5 minute job)and leave overnight.
Wipe off the next morning, if you do this on a regular basis it's not a big job.
Glass door quick wipe after cooking.
Sometimes you may need to take the door off to clean between the glass, this is a bigger job but it's mainly getting the door off rather than the cleaning.

NanaMacGeek Wed 16-Jan-19 19:29:23

We have a smart meter and DH tells me it costs about £2.00 to use the pyrolytic cleaning cycle on my electric oven. Although the oven itself is expensive, in terms of cost to keep it clean and of course, my time and temper, it is probably still the cheapest cleaning option!

overthehill Mon 21-Jan-19 15:44:01

My Bosch eye level oven is supposed to clean itself and I suppose it must work to a degree as the only dirty bits are the bottom and the racks.

What I'd like is the oven and the small oven/grill to have side opening doors instead if drop down as it is very difficult, expecially in the small oven to reach the back for cleaning as the drop down door gets in the way.

You can remove the doors but I've had occasion to take them off and not be able to fit them back on again....DH had to do it, so reluctant to go down that route