Gransnet forums

House and home

Old Russian Samovar

(11 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:13:04

Help please!
Does anyone know how to fill this kind of samovar? I suspect the round lid, below the long narrow top with the handle, is supposed to come off, but now it doesn't. Not entirely surprising, as it is pre-Russian revolution.

The round top with a handle fits onto the chimney, as this model of samovar was heated either with charcoal or small pine cones which were dropped into the chimney then set alight.

I probably will never try to use it, but I would like to know how it was meant to work, so I hope someone with Russian or Polish relatives can help.

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:46:13

I can't help grandtante

Just wanted to say your samovar looks to be quite a splendid item.
Is it a family piece?

I hope a trusty GNer will be along shortly with some helpful advice.smile

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 20:34:49

I have one too, but never used it so no idea how to use it it has a ‘thing’ in the chimney bit which looks as if it should be something to heat up mine a different style to yours but very old

grandtanteJE65 Tue 18-Dec-18 15:24:13

Yes, Cherrytree, my mother's father worked in Russia before the revolution, and bought the samovar as a present for his sister in London. She passed it on to my aunt and now it has come to me, via my sister.

Blue bell, yours is probably about the same age as mine, ca. 1915 at the latest. I-m not sure when exactly my granddad bought mine, but I do know he left St. Petersburg in a heck of a rush in 1917.

Nata Thu 17-Jan-19 05:55:10

grandtante, hello, I can see that you asked a question quite a long time ago, but I came across the thread just now
I suppose that the round lid doesn't come off because the samovar is way too old and none tried to use it for almost a century, I advise that you force it, the upper red line shows where the lid is
then, to fill a cup with water, turn that cock 90 degrees to the right

BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 06:58:53

Rather than force it, oil the lid liberally, letting some gather round the rim. Lay a warm water bottle or cloth over it, then gently rotate or move the lid to allow the oil to seep in - otherwise you may damage it.

Repeat if necessary.

Nata Thu 17-Jan-19 08:15:04

You are not supposed to rotate samovars' lids, they fit really tight, you can open it by pulling it up. I'm not sure oil will be any help. Also, I doubt that a granny is strong enough to damage the samovar with her hands. If she could move the lid just a tiny bit, it would come off. I happened to deal with a couple of samovars, they were not that old though. smile

Telly Thu 17-Jan-19 11:43:33

I went to that old favourite, YouTube, and there are lots of demos on there. Sure you will get a good idea from one.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Jan-19 14:38:53

My only connection to Russia was that a past relative designed the ceiling of the Kremlin on the ceiling of Liverpool Town Hall.
I was never allowed to visit the country as my brother worked for the government at the time I wanted to go.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 19-Jan-19 13:22:37

Thanks everyone I shall try your suggestions. I suspect the lid is held in place by years of Brasso, myself, but hot water hasn't helped.

Nata, your photo is really helpful, as I thought the entire round lid was supposed to come off.

Maggiemaybe Sat 19-Jan-19 13:43:34

That’s a beautiful samovar, I hope you manage to sort it out. Back in 1973 I was lucky enough to spend a month in Leningrad on an educational visit and one of our party got a lovely old samovar in exchange for a pair of jeans. He carried it on his knee on the plane home - that wouldn’t have been tolerated now!

Why weren’t you allowed to go, EllanVannin? We were all interviewed individually as we arrived and I was heartily congratulated on the fact that my dad was a miner. smile My friend on the other hand was quizzed for ages about the role of her dad, who was a civil servant. He had a very routine office job in Middlesbrough and I doubt he was party to any state secrets!