Gransnet forums

House and home

shallow depth ovens

(10 Posts)
Plum111 Tue 15-Jan-19 17:42:25

Looking for help ! First time poster so hope I've got the correct forum.
Our built in oven packed in, so thought I'd nothing else to do but order another one...… wrong, the depth is not the average size and because of a gas pipe leading to the hob, the space available for oven is 500mm, I have searched the internet and can't find anything, I believe B & Q did a Cooke & Lewis one at 485mm, but this model seems very hard to find! Has anyone had this problem and how did you get round it, short of moving gas pipe (which would give a bit more space, probably up to 530mm) Would appreciate any help on this as I am losing the will to live!

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 18:02:47

Personally I wouldn't touch a " built-in " anything. I think that when these things pack in the only remedy is to either purchase another one or block the hole up and buy a proper oven with an eye-level grill.

Apologies for still living in the stone-age but the older ones were still the best. I don't do modern.

MiniMoon Tue 15-Jan-19 19:09:22

Do you know the name and model of your old oven? Does the manufacturer still make it?
Have you tried asking kitchen fitters where you might find one? That would be my first port of call. There must be an oven out there to fit a shallow hole!
Good luck with your search.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Jan-19 19:12:20

Hello plum & welcome to Gransnet.
Not a problem of mine, but a friend had just the same as you - a 500mm space to fit a new oven.
In the end, in desperation, she got her old one repaired.

Having said that, I’ve just replaced my 20 year-old standard size oven. I’m in love with my new one ?
It’s just so much better than the old one - technology is marvellous in my opinion.

In your position, if your old one can’t be repaired, what I would do is go to a kitchen company and see if they can help you.
Good luck. smile

janeainsworth Tue 15-Jan-19 19:13:38

Crossed posts minimoon

Plum111 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:31:15

Thank you all, make & model no longer available, and repair was not an option! Will get in touch with kitchen fitters and hope we will find one to fit! Thanks again

jeanie99 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:12:57

Have you considered the built in microwaves which have grill and oven facilities., these allow you to bake and roast as in a normal oven.

You would have to check the depth obviously but just a thought.

Plum111 Wed 16-Jan-19 17:19:09

Success! B & Q Cooke & Lewis CLSB 3663602842804 ( in case anyone else has the same problem ) .Mr P fitted it and we are ready to go tomorrow, had to get gas engineer in this morning to rearrange pipework, nightmare over! Thank you all

janeainsworth Wed 16-Jan-19 22:02:17

Glad you’re sorted plum smile

Plum111 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:17:40

So am I !!