Gransnet forums

House and home

Steam cleaner

(11 Posts)
holidaynana Thu 24-Jan-19 20:14:12

I’m looking to buy a steam cleaner, predominantly for cleaning the wall tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. There’s so much choice so wondering if anyone has any recommendations? It needs to be lightweight with a good length cord and washable cloths.

annep Sun 27-Jan-19 12:56:06

I bought one a year ago that was supposed to be lightweight. It was so awkward and fiddly to use and heavy so I sent it back. So I would welcome some info too.

annsixty Sun 27-Jan-19 13:08:46

Mine has been hanging on a hook on the shed for about two years.
I think that says it all.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Jan-19 13:17:55

Mine went to the charity shop

merlotgran Sun 27-Jan-19 13:23:17

I use the hand held bit for cleaning the shower cubicle screen wheels and crevices so if I've got it out I clean around the taps in kitchen and bathroom but other than that it's hardly ever used.

I rarely use it for steam cleaning the laminate flooring because our Bona mop does a great job.

Nandalot Sun 27-Jan-19 13:40:52

Mune’s In the garage. I feel too guilty to throw it out.

Nandalot Sun 27-Jan-19 13:42:50

Poor Mune. But, of course, I meant my steam cleaner.
It was a large one. I had meant t to buy the smaller one but the assistant in Lakeland suggested this one. It has loads of attachments but too heavy for me.

mcem Sun 27-Jan-19 14:17:55

I'd consider buying one if it could be used for carpets too.

crystaltipps Sun 27-Jan-19 16:07:59

I’ve got a Karcher and it’s brilliant. It does floors really well and you can take off the long mophead and use the nozzle as a hand steamer, it has attchments for curtains, upholstery and walls. I put a drop of lavender oil in the tank and it leaves a lovely fresh smell. I probably use it about once a fortnight for some job or other.

MissAdventure Sun 27-Jan-19 16:10:54

I had a hand held one.
Used it once, then couldn't get the lid off, despite trying regularly over the course of several weeks.
Nobody else could get it off either, so I threw it in the bin.

Beammeupscottie Sun 27-Jan-19 16:24:46

We have a Karcher; It's wonderful. Sparkling clean bathrooms and floors. Mind you, I never touch ours as DH has taken it over and is in charge of all surfaces that require steaming. He thinks I over-yank the hose and I let him keep on believing this.