Gransnet forums

House and home

New furniture

(15 Posts)
tanith Wed 30-Jan-19 17:23:37

I’m having my bedroom decorated including removing two huge fitted wardrobes which because they were so spacious we had filled with ‘stuff’. Now it’s just me I don’t need all that space to store my clothes. The room seems twice the size already but I need new wardrobe and drawers/dressing table. I’ve searched lots online but I want to actually see how large they are and how deep drawers are. I’m happy to pay a reasonable price but not the thousands of pounds Debenhams bedroom furniture seems to cost.

Any suggestions of where I can actually go to see the furniture I’m struggling to find furniture shops here in NW London. Not keen on Ikea although I’m going there to just have a browse tomorrow I went to dfs today but they seem to only have living room furniture in the shop. I’m getting really fed up ?

DoraMarr Wed 30-Jan-19 17:31:29

I bought all mine from M&S. They usually have a 20% discount on 2 items, which makes them quite reasonable. They are very good quality. I didn’t want flatpack as I wanted to furnish my new apartment quickly so that it felt like home. The delivery was excellent- the delivery men wore overshoes, positioned the furniture where I wanted it, and took away all the rubbish. I bought a sofa bed from another store and the service was very poor in comparison- I had to drag the sofa from the door and saw up a huge cardboard box and dispose of it. I don’t think I’d buy furniture from anywhere else than M&S now. When you have to do everything all by yourself it’s worth paying for service!

MawBroon Wed 30-Jan-19 17:32:05

Treat youself and have a look at Neptune
- you’ll find it online but there are several stores in London, within theM25 and elsewhere.
Good quality solid furniture with a light, cool Scandinavian/New England twist.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Jan-19 17:33:00

Oak Furniture Land. They're good on prices and quality.

tanith Wed 30-Jan-19 18:22:45

Thanks I’ll take a look at those.

HildaW Wed 30-Jan-19 18:29:25

Ikea....you can see it all in room settings.

kittylester Wed 30-Jan-19 20:24:25

Next? Habitat, though I'm not sure where their very few stores are now. John Lewis.

jusnoneed Wed 30-Jan-19 21:42:14

Be wary of Oak Furniture Land, we have had awful service from them recently. And looking online we are not the only ones. Will never use them again.

HildaW Wed 30-Jan-19 21:51:26

To be honest people are always trying to get rid of perfectly good wardrobes...its the one modern piece of furniture no one wants to by second hand. Try Gumtree or similar. We are selling off a few larger bits of furniture that will not fit (in my mind!) the new house. People are very happy to take them away for a sensible price...much cheaper than buying new.

Nanabilly Wed 30-Jan-19 21:52:45

I've heard lots of bad things about oak furniture land too but also one good comment!
Quality upon delivery and after service were the issues.
My mum had new bedroom furniture from dreams and it was good quality solid furniture. I like NEXT !

Gonegirl Wed 30-Jan-19 22:25:07

Humph! We got our new bedroom furniture from Marks and Sparks. Wardrobe itself is very good but the fitters argued with us about where we wanted it put, didn't wear overshoes, and husband had to re-hang one of the doors because they hung it crooked and it didn't close probably.

Got a John Lewis wardrobe for another room and that is excellent all round.

Teetime Thu 31-Jan-19 09:31:55

I have had really excellent service from Oak Furniture Land and am very pleased with the furniture which is lasting well and looking good.
I have recently ordered some things from Cotswold co which has a disappointingly long lead in time having advertised these items in the sale they wont be here for another 12 weeks!

tanith Thu 31-Jan-19 09:56:22

Thanks everyone I’m off to check out some of them this morning

stevelouis Fri 20-Nov-20 06:08:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Fri 20-Nov-20 07:01:16

John Lewis, or Next fan here.