Gransnet forums

House and home

what do I do?

(20 Posts)
craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 09:38:35

my house is on the market, had lots of viewings at the original recommended price. All loved it, some wanted to buy but needed to sell. I reduced by 7% and have had some serious viewers, two are actively trying hard to sell so they can buy mine. One had 2 houses to sell, one has sold and they are shortly putting their second house on the market in an area close to me, I know it will sell

So I just had another offer this morning, a single divorced woman and 2 adult daughters. 7% below my reduced price, an insulting offer, final (kirstie and phil speak) offer, sold her house. Trouble is that I sent a rambling e mail to the EA in the dark months of winter, saying that I would sell at this low offer. Never meant it and am not at all desperate

Strangely this offer comes from a person who lives in the same small area that the sales person lives in, sounds like an attempted stitch up

I have countered with a half way sum ie 3.5% down. I feel sick to my stomach and will not go lower. Am I doing the right thing? No-one to discuss with, am widowed

EllanVannin Thu 21-Feb-19 09:47:03

Be strong and stand your ground. Don't go any lower than you anticipate and explain that it's your final intention/decision. Develop a take-it or leave-it attitude.

kittylester Thu 21-Feb-19 09:49:29

Exactly what ellan said.

annsixty Thu 21-Feb-19 09:50:37

Surely if you haven't got to contract stage you can withdraw.
I have to say I haven't bought or sold for over 40 years so I may be wrong.
I am now on my own and dreading if I have to sell some time soon.

MawBroon Thu 21-Feb-19 09:54:26

Keep calm GN is here to support you!
1) houses are not selling easily at the moment so the people who loved your house when they viewed may yet get back to you, consequently reducing your asking price may not be crucial
2) do you need to sell now, or could you hold out until things pick up, post Brexit and in the Spring/Summer?
3) have you found the house you want to buy (really same as point 2) ? Or do you have to sell for financial reasons?
4) if you think you have a potential buyer “in the wings”, can you keep your nerve?
5) it is not unknown for an EA to negotiate a lower price - not legal or ethical, as you pay the fee, but that has not stopped them in the past
6) until you sign something you are not legally bound so your email in the middle of the winter can be disregarded

The bottom line and what I am hearing, is that you feel you are carrying the whole burden of this yourself, and you might be feeling vulnerable. I lost my DH 14 months ago and it is incredibly hard without someone fighting your corner.
Do you have grown up children with whom you could discuss this?
Even a good friend? Do not make yourself ill, buying and selling are stressful enough at the best of times.
When you feel ready, and depending on your circumstances, perhaps a calm letter to the EA saying that there is a figure below which you will not go (non- negotiable) and if you cannot achieve that you will be withdrawing the house from the market for the time being. He might not like the thought of losing his commission. Do not let him pressure you though!
Of course this can be risky if you have found the house of your dreams or are in financial straits, but selling is expensive so don’t go giving it away. flowers

Riverwalk Thu 21-Feb-19 09:55:12

If you were getting a lot of viewings and interest at the beginning why did you reduce the price by 7%? Or have I misunderstood.

No matter what price the property, most buyers have a property to sell and that's where the estate agent is meant to earn their hefty fee by advising who is likely to be able to sell and complete. Just lowering the price isn't going to speed things up - that's usually done if you've had little interest and no offers.

Unless you've exchanged contracts you don't have to go any further with the transaction.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 10:07:35

Oh craftygran and you were so super organised too! What a curve ball.
I hope it works out.

MacCavity2 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:15:32

Exactly what Maw said plus you can change EA and negotiate their fee, most will ask 3% but will be happy to accept 1%. Don’t tell everyone. Good luck.

Grammaretto Thu 21-Feb-19 10:46:34

I wonder about changing agents too! A relative who was downsizing did this last year. The new agent really worked for her. New photos helped but that probably isn't an issue for you. Her very large house was hardly attracting viewers for 6months. She is a widow and was also coping with it almost alone.
She sold at the right price for her, but more important was her restored faith in the process.
She is so much happier now in her smaller, better placed house.

craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 10:49:03

Thank you for the extremely sensible and calming posts and yes I do feel vulnerable. I am fortunate in that I am buying a new build with savings, selling this house will re-instate my savings. No real urgency ie do not have to sell yet but obviously better not to have two houses

Dd is on holiday but suggested I take the lower offer so I can move on in these uncertain political times. I rang an old friend, who was a neighbour where I used to live. They took a big drop to sell and never looked back. She said that my counter offer was good

So I have bitten the bullet and don`t have untold years ahead of me at 71. I rang the EA and spoke to the head man who is much better at negotiating. He mentioned that a past viewer is almost there with selling their house and is still also very keen. I have told him my bottom line and he said to wait, they would try and negotiate a better offer for me

So it looks as though I am almost sold. I think this bit now is even more stressful than finding my new home, downsizing and packing

I am paying 1% and a relative owns the agency, the office I am dealing with is newly opened. Only a small agency so far but already won awards. I think it was the sales person and her tone when she told me the offer, her barely hidden excitement at thinking she had it wrapped up at the lower price. So lower offer is s definite and I may get a few £k if all goes well

It has made me twitchy, wish I had hubby here to discuss it

sarahellenwhitney Thu 21-Feb-19 13:21:48

Craftyone No need to sell yet.? why sell . How old is your present property.? What is the attraction of a new build. I have seen these 'new builds' cropping up like mushrooms after a nights rain.???? You could have another twenty years ahead of you. You were informed of a present viewer almost there? how near is almost? My view,? hang on and if you still want to move , wait for the offer you can't refuse and put your belongings in storage.Will you need them all when you find your new home? so rent while you take your time looking around. Without a property to sell ? is a buyers market.

Lazigirl Thu 21-Feb-19 13:31:25

It's great that your new house purchase doesn't depend on your sale, which puts you into a very advantageous position. You clearly have a very saleable property because you have had so much interest and many viewings. You can obviously afford to hang on for a better offer, but this depends on how much you will lose if you take this offer, and how importantly this cash is. Whilst your house is unsold you are still living with the stress and uncertainty and can't move on. Only you know whether it's worth it.

craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 14:32:37

I have sold my house at a little over her offer. My house is unusual and in a tiny village without shops and with minimal transport. My new house is built by an old school builder, I know about build quality and quality is A1, only a small development and walking to old style shops buses and groups, a market town with lots of crafting going on

She has no chain and I have no chain and she gets a genuinely good property at a great price, while I get to move on with my life

I did not like this morning but I calmed down and soon will be able to start moving boxes into my new home

Timing is pretty well perfect, I think fate has had a hand

craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 14:34:09

spot on lazigirl. My savings are doing what they were meant for, to ease my path as I get older

M0nica Thu 21-Feb-19 14:42:18

A house is worth what someone will pay for it and not a penny more. Its value is not what you, personally, think is what it ought to be worth. The housing market is currently in the doldrums and house prices in many areas are falling because there are so few buyers at present.

House selling is brutal and you need to be realistic. Obviously there are some limits and some offers are are ridiculous, But our rule has been to always drop to meet a good buyer able to proceed and then go house hunting with our house sold and ready to proceed ourselves. We too are then able to drive a hard bargain.

I see that that is exactly what you have done craftyone Good luck!

Marieeliz Thu 21-Feb-19 18:37:35

Just accepted an offer on my house. £2000 below asking price. Been on sale since August. Had on offer £11000below asking price earlier but I refused knew what I needed to move on. Waiting for the owner of property I hope to move to to get valuation and contact a Solicitor. It is a shared ownership property.

My buyers are presently renting, to it should be reasonably straightforward.

Lazigirl Thu 21-Feb-19 18:38:13

Well done craftyone I hope all goes smoothly now. Buying, selling and moving are so stressful, and as you say especially when decision making alone. Your new house sounds just right to grow old in and I hope you will settle down and be very happy there.

craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 21:44:05

I was 62 when we came to this small place with fresh clean air and lovely places for cycling. I honestly wish that we had bought somewhere more accessible to shops etc. It really is lovely here and everyone in the village is so supportive, a real community but I know that I never planned ahead for getting older, well no-one gets older and most don`t think about how they would cope alone

wd Marieeliz, I hope your transaction also goes smoothly. I wish it was like the Scottish system because so many things can go wrong up to exchange. I won`t be thinking about that situation, just staying positive

Monica, you are so right. It is very brutal out there right now. Another reason for me getting everything well wrapped up via a good solicitor for buying my new build. She is very diligent and has insisted on all the section 38 and 104 paperwork being produced before I proceed. I have experience of a developer going bust and the aftermath is not pretty, happened here and 2 properties were left without essential paperwork. I was one of the lucky ones

Anja Thu 21-Feb-19 22:46:09

This is what nearly always happens when selling houses. I was just totting up and this I must have sold 7 houses over the years.

There’s always a couple who really want yours but haven’t sold yet. Then there’s a buyer with cash ? who can afford to shop around and so makes you a reduced offer. Then there’s the one wh, when an offer has been made and accepted, drags their heels about completion.

Personally I’d go with any reasonable offer unless you’re prepared to be in the same position in 6 months time. Your choice,

craftyone Fri 22-Feb-19 05:50:19

I have sold 9 houses over my married lifetime. The first 7 were during relatively few years, it did not cost much to sell then so people moved when they wanted a change. Different today of course, costs a lot more. 10 years ago a neighbour where I used to live, in a house without privacy, young couple. They put their house up for sale and it was a bad time to sell but they asked too much. They rented it out for a while but today it is still up for sale, now empty. I think many of us have had to bite the bullet from time to time. Swings and roundabouts

A good night`s sleep last night, might do some more sorting today. My buyer was concerned about spending money after moving in. She won`t have to spend anything on the house, move in ready, all blinds and curtains and appliances included and because of the way the energy flow works, a house that has hardly any energy costs and provides an income

Some houses have good energy flow and I mean as in feng shui, that is this house, it is like an uplifting hug and glorious if there is any sun. Even the hot water costs nothing for 2/3 of the year but better than that is the lovely feel of the house

I believe that I had a lot of curious or nosey people and some of these loved it so much that they raced back and got their homes on the stagnant market. That is the trouble, falling in love with a property when you don`t have a buyer. I had to discount offers when the chains were not complete at their end

At least with my buyer, she will need all the extras, she is in rented and the chances are that completion will take place but as always I just go with the flow