Gransnet forums

House and home

Vacuum cleaner can't cope with fitted deep pile carpet.

(17 Posts)
NanaMacGeek Sat 09-Mar-19 19:32:00

Our new, deep pile bedroom carpet brings my Dyson vacuum cleaner to a complete halt, it just glues itself to the pile and I can't push it at all. I've tried turning off the beater and setting it to maximum height (there is no way to reduce the vacuum strength). Has anyone else come across this problem? Any recommendations?

Alima Sat 09-Mar-19 20:09:14

No but have you tried taking a hover mower over the carpet then trying again with the Dyson? (Sorry NMcGeek, but that must be a very deep pile!)

FlexibleFriend Sat 09-Mar-19 20:18:45

My Dyson kinetic has the same problem in my Lounge but my Dyson v10 cordless manages just fine because I can adjust the suction. So I guess you need a second vacuum with either less suction or variable suction.

NanaMacGeek Sat 09-Mar-19 21:11:26

Alima grin - might just end up doing that! The pile doesn’t even look that deep, it's not a shag pile carpet. (It does feel luxurious under foot though.) The fitter couldn't suggest anything and nor could Curry's. We can't be the first people ever to install carpet like this. At least I now know one Dyson model that has adjustable vacuum! Thank you FlexibleFriend.

FlexibleFriend Sat 09-Mar-19 21:22:17

Mine isn't shag pile either just very dense thick pile.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Mar-19 22:16:14

NanaMacGeek I am sure you do not want to be forking out more money for another vacuum cleaner. Before you do, have you considered getting in touch with Dyson?

Bathsheba Sat 09-Mar-19 22:56:50

My GTech struggles with the thick, dense pile carpet in my bedroom, so I use the Dyson there. Well, at least, that's what I was doing until my daughter's vacuum conked out and she asked if she could borrow the Dyson. So for the time being I'm back to the GTech struggle ?.

I can't even remember which model Dyson it is, but it wouldn't help you if I could, NanaMacG, because we got it in a sale as that particular model was being discontinued!

Ailsa43 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:40:23

My Miele vacuum cleaner comes into it's own in situations like that because it has a range from just 900 watts to 1800 watts, so it can be set at a really low suction for deep pile carpets, or thin scatter rugs that would be sucked up on a more powerful setting..

RosieLeah Sun 10-Mar-19 06:54:52

I have a Miele too, but I recently bought a Vax upright for the main vacuuming. It has no problem with my shag pile but can't cope so well with hard floors. I recently bought an old-fashioned carpet sweeper...never had one before but it's a pleasure to use and surprisingly effective.

EllanVannin Sun 10-Mar-19 07:54:31

My Shark goes over the thick rug.

NanaMacGeek Mon 11-Mar-19 21:16:06

I thought I'd let posters know, following Charleygirl5's post, I had an online chat with a member of the Dyson support team. We have an engineer booked to visit us. I don't know what they think he can do but hope he can, at least, make some recommendations.

I have also complained to 'Which' that their vacuum cleaner tests were incomplete and that I could not trust their recommendations!

NanaMacGeek Thu 21-Mar-19 13:46:09

I thought I'd let posters know (especially Charleygirl5), that Dyson have exchanged my vacuum cleaner for a Dyson Ball Animal 2. It works a treat on my new carpets (and the rest of the flooring too). It cost me nothing. Dyson support told me that the new, deep pile, man-made fibre carpets are a fairly recent fashion and not many vacuums deal with them well.

It's not often I praise customer service but well done Dyson for listening. (I hope this post doesn't get pulled, I have no connection to Dyson.)

jeanie99 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:11:49

Speak to the Dyson about the problem.

Anja Sat 23-Mar-19 11:07:30

?

User77 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:46:05

I've had the same problem with my dyson. I had to give up in the end and I now got the Dyson stick V10 cordless. It has adjustable power which is much better.

User77 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:46:50

I've had the same problem with my dyson. I had to give up in the end and I now got the Dyson stick V10 cordless. It has adjustable power which is much better.

KatyK Sat 23-Mar-19 15:46:16

My G-Tech seems to cope with anything!