Gransnet forums

House and home

Larder pullout. How to use one efficiently

(25 Posts)
craftyone Fri 10-May-19 17:49:43

I have surprised myself by loving the pull out larder. It is wider than the one I hated. I first bunged everything in, I moved a few days ago and today did the tidying and sorting, digging out all my taller storage containers, including those that held scrumptious granola, which I bought in bulk for the containers. I have now labelled some kids but have about 6 months worth of jars left. They are perfect in the bottom tier

Hilltopgran Sun 28-Apr-19 17:19:11

I did not get on with the pull out section in my larder unit, so sent it back and put in shelves, they store much more. I put seldom used items at the back, frequently used items middle and front. My pull out corner unit became overloaded and I could not see what was hiding in the middle of the bottom shelf. So I have given up and bought a victorian pine cupboard on ebay, I keep only items in regular use in a couple of kitchen cupboards and have a wonderful stock/dry goods/tin victorian cupboard in my utility room. I can see what I have in store and making a shopping list is much easier! My ebay find cost considerably less than modern kitchen units and a couple of new willow baskets keeps small items and vegetables accessible. I would love to go back to an old fashioned larder with a cold marble self.

Day6 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:15:24

We inherited a kitchen with a pull out larder unit. I am glad to read that adding baskets is easy to do.

I keep tinned stuff in the bottom shelves and stock cubes, and gravy, sauce-making goods, like flour, cornflour etc at a decent height. I have a shelf for tinned fish like tuna and mackerel fillets and sardines - (we buy a lot to have on toast or with salads) Sauces, glass jars and honey and anything like that not needing refrigeration is on the top. We have a thin pull-out spice drawer too and I find some things are too big for the two narrow shelves - like tubs of black peppercorns etc. It's very frustrating.

I am used to my kitchen now, (still loathe the black granite worktops and black floor!) but oh for a custom-made kitchen!

craftyone Sun 28-Apr-19 14:48:14

I am liking the pullout larder because it is wider than the earlier one. I could not reach the top unit without a ladder, not good at my age. I have had to go from endless cupboard space and 10 drawers to a few cupboards and 3 drawers, like packing sardines into a can. I cannot downsize any more and will adapt but it is going to take time. The one small wall cupboard by the sink side is useless, I can only safely reach the bottom shelf. I have to live with this kitchen but am not loving it. On the brightside, I do love the underfloor heating

4allweknow Thu 21-Mar-19 20:41:00

All my worktop height cupboards have pull out shelves. I have two tall pull out cupboards. In one I have crockery I use daily with the odd buts on the bottom basket. In the other I have dry goods all in airtight containers. I love the, other ths3n a walk in larder, can't imagine anything better for storage in a kitchen.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:25:36

Is this a pull-out unit? I have used one and found it very heavy to use; when DH suggested one I said no, I'd rather have drawers.

My veg are all stored in the fridge, apart from potatoes and onions/garlic.

pce612 Thu 21-Mar-19 19:40:27

When you say that the drawers are far apart, do you mean that the vertical spacing leaves big unusable gaps?

If so, see if you can get extra drawers and put them into the spaces. Off the shelf kitchens are made in standard widths, so shouldn't be hard to source.
It is quite easy to re-arrange the spacing but a good handyman should be able to do it for you if you are not confident doing it yourself; just work out what the height of the items that you need to store and this should give you the number of extra drawers/shelves that you need.

I put extra shelves into overhead cupboards to make the space more usable if there are not enough provided.

Hope this helps.

craftyone Thu 21-Mar-19 11:10:59

yes I will do that google. Not for veg for me, underfloor heating

David1968 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:33:35

Pull-out baskets can be great for storing fresh veg. It can be helpful to line the bottom of the basket with newspaper or cardboard. (And change it regularly.) It depends on where in the kitchen the baskets are located, because ideally stored veg shouldn't get too warm.

Yorkshiregirl Thu 21-Mar-19 10:31:39

Google how to organise your larder cupboard

Nanny27 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:23:31

I've had a lovely walk in pantry built in my kitchen. Best investment I've made in years.

marpau Thu 21-Mar-19 09:57:35

I had a pull out ladder installed and bought an extra basket so now have deep space for cereals and cooking oils and shallower space for tins and kilner jars for pasta etc

LadyGracie Wed 20-Mar-19 23:05:25

I’ve got a pull out unit, only since we moved in October, I find the drawers to far apart and it feels like a waste of space, but I’ll keep trying with it, I can’t afford to change it. I need someone to train me!

craftyone Wed 20-Mar-19 20:05:11

I had a kitchen like that allatsea, still have it for a short time, love it too. Oh heck I am going to have to work very hard not to dislike the new kitchen

AllatSea48 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:28:52

Had one in a previous house, already installed when I moved in. Hated it with a passion! Terrible idea! Never again. Kitchen was so grim it was cheaper to move house in the end. rather than re-do it!

Now have pull out swivel shelves in corner cupboards - fantastic, can see everything, nothing gets lost! Also pull out drawers in cupboards, so stuff at back gets used instead of forgotten. And drawers for pans under hob - wonderful! My first decent kitchen - ever! Love it!

kittylester Wed 20-Mar-19 16:12:38

I hated mine! I had pull out drawers fitted instead.

gillybob Wed 20-Mar-19 14:11:01

I have a walk in larder/pantry which is quite unusual in newbuilds. I love mine although a few of my neighbours have knocked theirs out. I find mine far too useful . My DH has shelved it from top to bottom/side to side and put lighting in attached to a sensor so it comes on when I open the door and goes off when I close it. I can keep all my tins, packets, cereal etc. in order. I also use another part of it for pots, pans and appliances that I don't use every day.

Willow500 Wed 20-Mar-19 12:21:43

We used to have a walk in pantry which was under the stairs so the back of it was pretty inaccessible - it also housed all the shoes and anything else we didn't know what to do with. We had two pull out larder units put in there when we redid the kitchen 2 years ago and although some of the stuff had to find new homes my food is now much more organised. I have dried foods in one and tinned/jars in the other. I also have a pull out narrow cupboard which houses chopping boards and sandwich bags and another wider one in which I keep my spices and packets of rice/stock cubes. I love them.

stella1949 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:09:34

I had drawers installed in all my cupboards - I love them. Nothing is out of reach and I can see everything at a glance. And no bending !

TerriBull Wed 20-Mar-19 10:38:14

I have one, I love it, pretty easy to use efficiently, I have my pasta on the top shelf, other dried ingredients like rice, flours, sultanas, ground almonds, demerara, castor and icing sugars, marmalade and quite a lot of dried herbs and spices. I have a couple of pull out swivel shelves in other cupboards with loads of baked beans, tinned tomatoes, porridge (well we do have Brexit to consider) The pull out larder is easy to organise because it's very accessible and everything is easy to see, having said that I need to do some culling as far as herbs and spices are concerned, some are, probably seriously out-of-date, although happily we are still both here in spite of that grin

Hope you learn to love yours craftyone.

aggie Wed 20-Mar-19 09:33:59

I get emails from Houzz.com with lots of hints and tips for stuff , try it

craftyone Wed 20-Mar-19 08:16:56

I would love pull out shelves, had drawers designed into my present kitchen and corner swivel shelves in the units. . I just have to wait and see, know that I will have to like everything there in order to feel settled

dragonfly46 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:05:26

All my cupboards have pull out shelves. It means I use the stuff at the back instead of the front.

J52 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:58:46

I love mine, I put rolls of foil etc on the bottom basket, although I realise this is probably a waste of space. ( I think I’ll change that!)
On the next basket I have cereal and some tins. Then I have packeted goods and on the top ingredients for baking.
Sugar and flour are kept in airtight boxes in a cupboard.

craftyone Tue 19-Mar-19 15:56:04

I used to have a larder cupboard and hated it. I have one in the new house, it is wide and obviously a space saver and will hold lots but the wire baskets are far apart. How best to use one of these cupboards? I don`t want to hate it,I need to like this new kitchen of mine