Gransnet forums

House and home

dry cleaners

(6 Posts)
Fennel Sun 07-Apr-19 12:50:40

They seem to be very expensive now. I have some pure wool skirts and they charge £7-10 for cleaning.
I have an untailored woollen winter coat, bought it about 18 years ago, and have worn it a lot on cold winter days. It definitely looked grubby.
So today I risked washing it in our machine, woolwash, with a little washingup liquid, and it has come out well smile
I've put it on a hanger to dry.
The question is, do you use dry cleaners, and if so , what for?

Nannarose Sun 07-Apr-19 12:59:20

I am very careful with dry cleaners - the fabric gets damaged by the chemicals. I use them occasionally, and I always use a local one, who cleans on the premises so I can discuss the cleaning with them. I make my own clothes, and am very fussy!

Firstly - spot clean and 'air' clothes instead of dry cleaning or washing. I have a couple of bamboo'silk' T shirts that I wear under shirts, so thy don't get sweaty. That way you don't need to clean the shirts every time you wear them.

I do dry clean my very good clothes when needed, but they then get relegated to 'not worth it, try washing' and most of them come up beautifully - if they don't, no loss.

However, because of all of this, I don't mind paying for good dry cleaning when needed.

grannysue05 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:04:14

I used to dry-clean everything woollen/wintry.
When husband was working he had four good quality work suits which we rotated through the dry-cleaners monthly.
With what you pay now, you could buy a new suit after a few dry-clean sessions !
I make do with gentle machine wash where possible and find most things come out well.
Lucky we don't have to worry about smart work clothes any more.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:05:52

Whilst I try to avoid buying .dry clean only clothes, I did discover years ago that you can wash them safely by hand. I’ve never had one go wrong and think the labels are often there for the manufacturers own protection. My thinking always is that even if it goes wrong, it’s no loss as I wouldn’t wear it anyway if it needed dry cleaning - if that makes sense

Auntieflo Sun 07-Apr-19 14:26:18

Since DH has retired, we don’t use the dry cleaners. I had noticed how expensive it had become, as our local Waitrose takes in dry cleaning, at the Customer advice desk, and the price list is on display.
I seem to remember, quite a while ago, that you could buy sheets for ‘dry cleaning’ that you placed in a tumble dryer, but haven’t seen them recently.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Apr-19 15:04:35

The garments marked dry-clean only I've ignored for years and wash perfectly well, probably better/cleaner than the white spirit that's used in dry-cleaners. Jackets too wash fine.

Larger items such as thick/quilted bedspreads my D drops off at the launderette, once a year for the Winter weight and once during the summer for the white thick candlewick------neither fit in my machine. It would probably cost me £50 if I had both dry-cleaned.