Gransnet forums

House and home

Waste Disposal Units

(7 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 08-Apr-19 16:12:23

When we moved into this house, we discovered there is a waste disposal unit in the waste pipe from the kitchen sink. Our electrician checked it over and pronounced it safe to use - which left me wondering, for what?

Like most others, our local authority has perfectly adequate arrangements for composting, recycling and general rubbish removal so why do I need a waste disposal unit?
Not being sure of what it might be reasonable to use the unit for, I turned to Google and the first helpful site it led me to listed all the things which, for various reasons, I shouldn't use it for.

Tea leaves and coffee grounds will clog the drains with natural oils; potato peel or left over pasta will clag the device with starch; chop bones and chicken carcasses will damage the blades ...and so on! Add to that, the ongoing reminders from the water companies that the only things in addition to water which should go down the main drains are "pee, poo and paper" and you start to wonder what exactly is the point of these things?

I'd already decided that, when we refurbish the kitchen, it will be removed - I can utilise the space it occupies in the under-sink cupboard for other stuff. However, on my recent visits to DiY emporia and kitchen showrooms, I've noticed that almost every display kitchen features a waste disposal unit so, presumably, people must use them.

Am I missing something here? Does anybody have one? What do you use it for - and why?

Jessity Mon 08-Apr-19 16:58:56

I’ve put one in three kitchens in various house moves over the years and bitterly regret being unable to have one installed in our apartment because it’s a conversion of a 150 year old building and parts of the drainage system might not cope.

I first had one fitted during a warm summer when I discovered maggots in my dustbin. Yes you can compost raw vegetable waste, eggshells, etc., if you’ve enough outside space. The only items I never put down were large bones and corn cobs, never had any problems with coffee grounds, tea bags, chicken bones.

If I could, I’d have one but others may disagree.

craftyone Mon 08-Apr-19 17:20:53

I had one already fitted in a new build house, was 15 years ago. I lasted a year with it and had it taken out. It was a waste of space and used masses of water. My new build, the one I am buying has a waste disposal, they buy the whole pack of white goods etc. The builder is taking it out for me before exchange. I hate the things and would much rather compost my peelings and I very much hate wasting so much water

Scribbles Tue 09-Apr-19 15:37:50

Thanks for your replies.
I admit that I hadn't considered the possibility of space being short, or of a bin full of maggots, either. Ugh!

I have occasionally run the waste disposal with a few veggie trimmings because it smells like a stagnant pond if I don't and I'm aghast at the waste of water involved, especially in last summer's drought conditions.

On balance, I feel my decision to get rid of it is the right one.

craftyone Tue 09-Apr-19 16:07:27

scribbles, I forgot about that stagnant smell, yuk

kittylester Tue 09-Apr-19 17:23:55

I had one put in when we had the kitchen refitted but had it take out after a year or so.

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 17:29:42

the idea of throwing all the waste into the water system just goes totally against what I believe in. I wish there was one that would pour the stuff out into some sort of bin to put in composts.