Gransnet forums

House and home

Water leak from apartment above

(3 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 18-Apr-19 07:53:47

Does anyone have experience of this and can offer advice.

My son who lives aboard rents his home out on a yearly contract which is shortly up for renewal.
The tennants have complained of water coming into the bedroom from the apartment above and are using a bucket to stop further damage.
Although the owner above as tried to stop the leak she as been unsuccessful and as now just left the problem and is not replying to my sons e-mails and phone calls.

I do not live local to the property but have advice on a legal approach by letter from a solicitor to get this problem solved.

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Apr-19 07:58:46

Is the flat leasehold? My daughter lets her flat in London and the lease is owned by a housing association who can obtain entry to the flat above. It also means that any damage caused is covered by insurance. If there is no lease he will indeed have to get his insurance and solicitors involved. My daughter also pays an estate agent to manage the property and they sort these problems out.

FlexibleFriend Thu 18-Apr-19 09:21:46

My son owns his flat in a block and part of the service charge is to cover buildings insurance. So I'd contact the managing agents and get them to make her sort the leak. She can't just ignore it and make it everyone else's problem.