Gransnet forums

House and home

Scarcity of Soap

(117 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sat 04-May-19 01:23:16

Has anyone else noticed the diminishing options of bars of soap?

We used to have so many to choose from. Camay, Lux, Shield, Lifebouy, Knight's Castile, Palmolive, Wrights, Pears, etc.

When I look in supermarkets now, all there seems to be is Dove, Imperial Leather and Simple.

And my favourite, Yardley's Lavender, can only be got on the Internet. And even that doesn't smell the same!

Is it because everyone is now going for squirty 'Handwashes', instead of the traditional tablet of soap?

rascal Sat 04-May-19 18:36:42

I only use bar soap as liquid soap makes my skin very dry.

Sussexborn Sat 04-May-19 19:18:08

My OH has only ever used bar soap. I use a mix of bar soap and moisturising shower gel.

The soap dish I’ve photographed avoids the soggy soap scenario. It was only about a pound from Wilco or Poundstretcher.

I remember Camay. My newly married cousin had it in her bathroom and it seemed quite exotic when I was a child. I can remember that but not what soap my family used.

I bought some Yardley lavender soap from House of Fraser recently and they had a good selection of rather old fashioned products.

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 19:27:01

I'm not going to buy any more handwash in plastic bottles, even if visitors like to wash the soap before they use it.
I do regret that Pears soap doesn't smell as it used to. I wonder why.

Didn't Imperial Leather use to have a label that went right into the bar of soap to hold it together? Now its only a stick on label.

annodomini Sat 04-May-19 19:53:33

My son, who has gone 'green' in middle age, always has soap in his bathroom as well as solid shampoo which can be found on line. I like Lush solid shampoo which is quite expensive but lasts for ever.

MawBroonsback Sat 04-May-19 20:00:23

JackyB Lush shops exist in Germany I am sure, at least they used to.
I remember standing on a pavement in East Berlin several years ago and that instantly recognisable “scent” wafted over me.
Sure enough, there was a Lush shop about 50m away.

NfkDumpling Sat 04-May-19 22:15:47

We use Wrights Coal Tar soap. I don’t know if it actually contains coal tar which may be less environmentally friendly than liquid soap which contains palm oil but I love the smell!

Gonegirl Sat 04-May-19 22:29:53

whywhywhy Breeze!!! I had completely forgotten that one. I remember now, using it for quite a while. (Blast from the past that)

Marelli Sat 04-May-19 23:26:24

Always have used bar soap. In the kitchen we have an old enamel soap dish that seems to keep the soap dry and in the bathroom we have a wee magnetic holder above the basin.
We use Imperial Leather, but I think might have a rootle at TKMaxx next time I'm there, for something a bit more exotic.

David1968 Sun 05-May-19 10:58:56

Wasn't there a thread about this not long ago? Like other GNS, I no longer buy "bottled" soap, because of the plastic issue. Someone on that thread recommended olive oil soap (ordered online) so I ordered some and it's wonderful! Very "plain", with no palm oil or "nasties", and the one I bought (not costly) comes in a big bar (like the good old carbolic soap used to!) So you have to cut it up. (A knife heated in hot water did the trick.) Recommended.

Greciangirl Sun 05-May-19 11:04:57

I quite agree with ElaineI.

With bars of soap, it’s a hygiene issue.

Re-use and re-fillable bottles if you can find the products that offer this.

trendygran Sun 05-May-19 11:11:32

Haven’t used soap for several years .Much prefer liquid soap and there are so many to choose from now. Ordinary soap just gets slimy and dirty and makes a mess on the sink. The only one I would consider using is Pears. -love the smell.

rizlett Sun 05-May-19 11:16:47

The Body Shop.

And of course one of these.... wink

Charlieb Sun 05-May-19 11:17:46

You can buy Yardley Lavender soap from Boots.
£7.99 for three bars .
Hope this helps.

Gma29 Sun 05-May-19 11:27:49

I find L’occitane soap leaves very little mess on the basin, and doesn’t go soggy either. It also lasts well, and doesn’t disintegrate when you get near the end.

I do use their liquid soap for the downstairs loo basin though.

GrandmasueUK Sun 05-May-19 11:42:01

When my children were at Primary school I had very little money. My partner at the time took us to a well-known Emporium in Manchester. I could smell the most wonderful scented soaps and could see little baskets filled with small soaps in one of the shops. I ushered the children in so we could choose some but my OH was trying to get us out. I thought he was just being mean with his money. The small soaps were actually scented condoms!

PamelaJ1 Sun 05-May-19 11:59:06

I make my own liquid soap from a bar.
You tube, of course, will show you how to do it.
I am very cross, however, at how many bars have palm oil products in them. I was in Waitrose yesterday and not only did their lovely looking own brands have it in but so did a bar that cost about £8.

Lilyflower Sun 05-May-19 12:01:34

Try TK Maxx. They always have some heavenly high end soaps at knock down prices. You can get a giant bar of something like L'Occitane for a couple of quid.

Annaram1 Sun 05-May-19 12:15:12

Pamela, Thanks for the informative list of alternative names for palm oil. I am shocked. I suppose because palm oil is being avoided manufacturers are trying to con us.

LizaJane24 Sun 05-May-19 12:16:43

try the friendly soap company- hand made, natural ingredients, recyclable packaging, reasonably priced, good range. I don't use any other brand now. They even do shampoo bars.

Mcrc Sun 05-May-19 12:41:27

I am in the US and we have many brands of shower gel but I love bar soap. We have most of the brands I love and I wish more people used them because they are cheaper and no packaging!

Flossieturner Sun 05-May-19 12:43:37

We have been having a similar conversation in our family. Trying to cut down on plastic and not use palm oil products.

Are there any recommendations for really good soap for dry skin

Itsmyfirstrodeo Sun 05-May-19 13:09:05

We also use bar soaps. I find that they last longer, especially if you have little visitors who will press on any liquid soap plungers over and over!!
I would also love to hear any recommendations for soap that doesn't dry out skin. I'm currently using yardley Shea buttermilk for sensitive skin ?

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 13:11:01

David1968, I googled olive oil soap and found quite a few brands. Could you please tell me if olive oil soap brands are also vegetarian soaps, and would you mind telling which brand you recommend?

Sparklefairydust Sun 05-May-19 13:13:31

www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/blog/posts/are-bar-soaps-hygienic/

David1968 Sun 05-May-19 13:13:39

Flossieturner, the olive-oil soap I mentioned is lovely for my dry and sensitive skin. (I bought the one made by Olivia - but other olive-oil soaps are available!) And it's cheap at £3.53 for a huge 600g bar. I cut the bar into four smaller bars, using a knife which I dipped into in very hot water.