Gransnet forums

House and home

Vinyl kitchen cuboards

(3 Posts)
Katyj Thu 06-Jun-19 07:52:17

Moving house soon hopefully, I don't like the colour of the kitchen cuboards, there maple and a bit dark.I mentioned the other day, about spray painting, and had some good ideas, so thought I would ask if anybody has had their doors vinyl wrapped, I didn't know there was such a thing, so will be interesting to see if anyone has done this.

Chewbacca Thu 06-Jun-19 08:15:30

My hairdresser had all of her kitchen doors and her fridge/freezer vinyl wrapped a couple of years ago and, initially, it looked great. However, over time, the vinyl has become quite brittle and has split and ripped in places, especially around handles. She's talking about peeling it all off and starting again but I'm not sure how big a job that's going to be, or what the cupboard doors base will be like underneath. It has to be a perfectly smooth surface for the vinyl to adhere to and give a smooth finish.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 08:16:07

The cupboards we bought for a bathroom, which were certainly not cheap, are vinyl wrapped. I didn't realise that when we bought them, thought they were high gloss paint. one has cracked and the vinyl wrap has come away. Another is starting to crack.
Although they're not old, we cannot source a replacement or anyone who can re-do it.

The cheaper units we bought from B&Q are painted and seem fine so far.

If you know of a company which vinyl wraps older doors I'd love to know.
However, I wouldn't have chosen them if ii knew this would happen.