Gransnet forums

House and home

living room

(17 Posts)
forby13 Wed 19-Jun-19 14:25:19

could anyone give advice about colours as I have a mink sofa and light grey walls at the moment I have yellow ochre curtain rugs etc but would a change

glammanana Wed 19-Jun-19 14:55:42

Have you thought of different shades of lilac supple and deeper shades would blend nicely.

Daisymae Wed 19-Jun-19 15:08:09

Actually your the rooms sounds rather lovely! Have a look on the houzz website, just google. You can gets lots of inspiration from there.

dragonfly46 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:12:36

We have a grey living room with grey and cerise curtains.

ninathenana Wed 19-Jun-19 15:32:05

At the moment I have stone coloured walls with a teal feature wall light shades and cushions. Our suite is coffee brown.
I am looking to change to grey and ochre smile. I'll swap accessories with you. Have you thought of teal ?
Pintrest is another good site to look at.

Dinahmo Thu 27-Jun-19 11:52:50

One good way of choosing colours is to buy a plate that you like. If the colours work on the plate then they will work in your home.

TwiceAsNice Thu 27-Jun-19 12:50:14

Your sofa and walls are good neutrals. You could mix in any strong colour for contrast. Maybe Teal, deep pink, bright blue, orange. Something that makes a statement them use accessories in differing shades of the same colour

Nellie098 Thu 27-Jun-19 13:44:06

We have had numerous colour schemes and wallpapers in our front room but earlier this year had the whole of the bottom of the house painted white and so glad I did. It makes the rooms bigger, brighter and anything can be added in any colour so we have navy and gold in our front room with cream curtains and when I can find the right cushions will add a splash of magenta and greens. I usually start by looking online and in magazines of colours of room layouts. I then check on a colour wheel as to contrast and go from there. Sometimes it is good to have a complete change so think about perhaps having your sofa recovered, which we did, which can cost a bit but not as much as much as something new. No doubt you already like your mink sofa and want to keep it so a lot of colours will go with it.

paddyann Thu 27-Jun-19 16:43:34

we have grey carpets and furniture with green accessories and one green wall ,its very calming and there are so many shades of green to choose from

Peonyrose Wed 17-Jul-19 07:56:21

I used to paint whole house white years ago, I must agree it makes a lovely background to any colours. I now have cream walls, with an accent one, but trying to paint ceilings white,when walls a different shade is so time consuming I might consider white again. Certainly getting rid of the accent wall, I think it chops into the room too much. I like my colours from curtains, cushions, throws and a rug.

kittylester Wed 17-Jul-19 08:14:08

Why do you have to paint the ceiling white? Our dining room ceiling is red which echoes the lounge walls next door.

travelsafar Wed 17-Jul-19 08:17:57

We have cream and green in our living room. In the spring and summer it looks fresh and bright.
In the winter i add red cushions and throws to make it look festive and cosy.
Think of flowers when adding colour, many colours go with green and just look right.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:35:42

My living room is pale grey and it's easy to ring the changes with accessories as any colours suit. Changing cushion covers, rugs and perhaps, curtains is so much easier than redecorating. At the moment I have lime green and yellow accents as a change from teal and pastel pink. There's a fluffy, long-pile winter rug and a flat sisal summer one.

I'm a fan of coloured ceilings too. My favourite bedroom has sandy beige walls and a pale blue ceiling. It's very relaxing, like lying on the beach. Plants make a big difference as well. A group of houseplants bring a natural freshness to a room. A mirror, glass objects or a reflective surface bring in light and interest.

Peonyrose Thu 18-Jul-19 22:00:39

I live the idea of a red ceiling, but it would not suit my room as I have low ceilings.

annep1 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:30:51

Never thought of coloured ceiling. Hmm. Interesting.

cornergran Fri 19-Jul-19 06:22:25

I had a sunshine yellow ceiling in my bedroom as a child. Loved it fortunately as my Dad refused to paint it white again, he said it would take too many coats hmm.

Our furniture is similar in colour to yours, perhaps a little lighter, forby with a slightly paler, toning carpet and pale walls. Its a small room so we use light reflective emulsion. I like a change so accessories are pale pink and very pale blue in the summer with plain, light weight curtains toning with the furniture. From the end of October accessories are duck egg with heavier duck egg patterned curtains. . The rug and throws are also changed as is a largeish canvas. The family think I’m very odd for doing it but then they often mutter about my eccentricities smile.

Hetty58 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:55:56

Cornergran, how very dare they! It's not eccentric to change the character of a room according to the seasons. The daylight itself is different and we want a cool, refreshing, airy feel when the weather's warm and a cosy, enclosed, relaxing vibe when it's cold outside.