Gransnet forums

House and home

Any tips on cleaning glass vases?

(20 Posts)
Marilla Thu 27-Jun-19 08:48:45

My vases are always left with residue and water marks.
I would appreciate any tips on how to clean them properly.

Sarahmob Thu 27-Jun-19 09:12:17

I use a paste of bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice for a sparkling finish, works every time. If they’re a bit limescalely I swap lemon juice for white vinegar.

JackyB Thu 27-Jun-19 09:45:54

Fill them with water and drop a denture cleaner tablet in.

gillybob Thu 27-Jun-19 09:57:45

I use an old baby bottle brush to clean mine . A tiny drop of bleach keeps them germ free .

EllanVannin Thu 27-Jun-19 10:26:12

After washing the dishes, leave the vase to soak in the soapy water then use the abrasive side of one of those little sponges that are in packs of about a dozen for less than a pound.

POGS Thu 27-Jun-19 10:55:17

Marilla

I use denture tablets but I have 2 vases that refuse to look anything other than smokey.

I now put coloured glass pebbles or stones in the vase and they look very nice with a matching coloured flower arrangement and the smokey appearance is forgotten about. Doing that is not for everybody I know but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Jane10 Thu 27-Jun-19 11:08:03

If residue on inside of glass, try putting dry uncooked rice in and giving it all a good shake.
Otherwise Steradent!

Marilla Thu 27-Jun-19 11:45:41

You are all so kind in taking time to write with your tips!
My husband does have some denture tablets, so I will try that first as they are handy.
Thanks everyone!

Dinahmo Thu 27-Jun-19 11:45:59

If it's really bad hydrochloric acid aka spirits of salts will do the trick. Be careful, wear rubber gloves, use an old brush to brush it on to the stained area and leave for about 10 minutes, Then rinse.

Witzend Tue 30-Jul-19 19:20:42

I just fill with water and add a fair bit of limescale rmover, e.g. Viakal, swish it about. And after a good soak, maybe a softish brush. Seems to work fine.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jul-19 19:33:31

I put glass vases in the dishwasher, they come out sparkling.
Lakeland sell a tiny tub of metallic balls which you can swish around inside vases which is supposed to clean them.

kittylester Tue 30-Jul-19 19:37:05

Wash in soapy water, rinse clean, add a few drops of bleach and rinse again.

JoyBloggs Tue 30-Jul-19 20:20:30

Cold water and a little bleach seems to work well on mine, just let it stand for a few hours.

grannyactivist Tue 30-Jul-19 23:53:44

I've recently cleaned all my glass/crystal vases and they look as though they've just come from the shop again; I used a splash of descaler (the one I use for the kettle) and a good bottle brush (from Ikea).

gransal Wed 31-Jul-19 01:00:53

Another one for denture tabs. If you want to try the glass ball system go to a cheap , pound shop and buy some marbles, or as wee call them in Scotland, Bools.

BradfordLass72 Wed 31-Jul-19 02:46:27

So many amazing tips.

Mum used to do this with bicarb/vinegar and uncooked rice. First the vinegar/bicarb and warm water, then when the foam had died down, a tablespoonful of uncooked rice was swilled around a few times. Presumably that was the abbrasive which removed the 'muck'.

Old school remedies eh? {grin]

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Aug-19 11:39:07

I have always put vases to steep in vinegar for a few hours or even overnight, then washed them as usual.

hazel93 Thu 01-Aug-19 20:31:52

Magic Balls from Lakeland.
Work a treat.

BlueSapphire Tue 06-Aug-19 08:19:35

Dishwasher!

Bathsheba Tue 06-Aug-19 08:22:51

I second Lakeland's magic balls. I've had a set for years and wouldn't be without them.