Gransnet forums

House and home

To Open a High Window

(11 Posts)
Alexa Thu 27-Jun-19 20:45:13

Please does anyone know of a gadget, some sort of window pole thing (?) to open a top hung bathroom window without climbing on to a step stool? The handle is an ordinary lever like a door handle.

Riverwalk Thu 27-Jun-19 21:03:04

Something like this?

Second photo down on left side.

Window opener

Razzy Thu 27-Jun-19 23:49:19

I was going to say we used to use a broom handle with a hook on it!

kittylester Fri 28-Jun-19 06:53:41

images.app.goo.gl/Ebn8VEM9GdkFwiNf8

We have one of these for our high windows. We got the end from an old fashioned ironmonger and put it on the bed of a pole.

travelsafar Fri 28-Jun-19 07:35:36

Kittylester i remember those from the classroom and as a child it was my dearest wish to be chosen to use it and open the windows for the teacher. We had to take it in turns and when my turn did come i was scared incase i broke the glass as the pole was quite heavy for a little one, but i did it. smile

kittylester Fri 28-Jun-19 07:53:50

travelsafar, we live in a converted, Victorian school and I was so chuffed to be able to have one of those!! I have actually broken the pane below the opening one and not checking that it was in the rests. The noise was horrendous!blush

Franbern Fri 28-Jun-19 09:37:00

I have used one of those wíndow opening poles, as shown in photo, for many years. Must say, when I purchased it I paid less than £10. It is really great. Only one problem is that the window handle must be in fully locked position, as this pole will not work then.
So, during the summer months I never actually pull the handle down to fully locked position when closing the windows. Only lock then, when I feel that I will not be needing to open them for several months - and then do need to have one time needing to climb up (I use kitchen steps for this) to unlock them ready for use again.
Would not be without this window opening pole and would so recommend it for safety use.

Franbern Fri 28-Jun-19 09:38:02

left out word 'NOT' - window handle must NOT be in fully locked position......
(Please can an edit /amend button be included)

Alexa Fri 28-Jun-19 10:19:48

Riverwalk, thanks! I believe that is exactly what I need. I thought someone must have invented something. I will probably buy this quite soon, as the hot weather makes me want open windows.

I had actually thought of getting a double glazing man to put in another style of bathroom window so this will be so much better.

Alexa Fri 28-Jun-19 10:25:17

Actually Razzy, your boom handle with a hook on it might be just as good. a cup hook I suppose it would be.

kittylester Fri 28-Jun-19 10:38:54

Or you could preview franbern sunshine