Gransnet forums

House and home

Bedroom curtains

(16 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Jun-19 11:26:54

I bought a new duvet cover, which I really like, it really brightens the room up, and so decided I’d like some matching curtains to replace a boring plain dark set, but they have disappeared from the shop! Would I be able to make some from another duvet cover (or 2) or would the material be too ‘flimsy’? (Can’t think of the word! - not heavy enough) what do you think?

FlexibleFriend Sun 30-Jun-19 11:28:19

It would be too lightweight for curtains.

mcem Sun 30-Jun-19 11:40:31

I did something similar in the early 70's before coordinated sets were freely available!
I bought flat sheets, sewing two together to make the duvet cover and adding curtain tape to turn the others into reasonably generous curtains. Then bought separate linings to hang from the curtain hooks.
Worked very well and when we moved house and the curtains didn't fit I handed the whole lot to my neighbour who used them for ages!

HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Jun-19 11:42:52

Thanks FF. That’s what I was concerned about.
(Lightweight - that was the word!)

HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Jun-19 11:45:59

Oh well mcem, I had been having another thought of keeping the cover as is, but then sandwiching a piece of lining inside then chopping bottom off to fit. You’ve egged me on now. I shall have another think!

MawBroonsback Sun 30-Jun-19 11:56:48

It might be too flimsy, but lined and interlinked might be worth a try if you like it enough.
Alternatively look online for coordinating curtains etc, sometimes matching can be too much anyway.
PS I sympathise with wanting a particular colour or pattern, my kitchen/dining room patio door curtains are easily 12 years old but I have yet to find something I like as much!
(Just visible in the background)

midgey Sun 30-Jun-19 12:39:42

Fiddle to the curtains! The boys are adorable!!

Jane10 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:08:09

They are!
Our bedroom curtains are lined but also have an inner fleece lining. This is because the walls are very poorly insulated so we do what we can to keep the heat in in winter.
Could you do something similar? It gives the fabric a good weight.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Jun-19 13:41:33

I shall think about that Jane, thank you.

The duvet is blue flowers so I think if I can’t get matching it would have to be plain curtains or they could bring on a migraine!! Haha!

PamGeo Sun 30-Jun-19 13:48:34

Some good ideas for the curtains already and you could also buy some plain curtains, cut a strip off the duvet and stitch a wide band of it across the top or bottom so that it co-ordinates any other pieces could go on cushions.

ninathenana Sun 30-Jun-19 16:48:24

PamGeo great idea.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Jun-19 22:37:33

Thank you everyone! I like the cushion idea too!

gransal Sun 30-Jun-19 22:46:00

When I used to buy patterned duvet covers I bought a single one of the same pattern. My DH made a pelmet for the window and I covered this with fabric from the single cover and hung plain curtains in a colour picked out from the duvet cover. It was very effective

Cherrytree59 Sun 30-Jun-19 22:58:59

Roman blind?
Use fabric stiff on the quilt material.
Youtube for the instructions

Choose a colour you like from quilt/blind and have plain curtains either side in that shade (iuswim)

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 09:23:46

Great idea Pamgeo.
Mawbroonsback - Too busy looking at the two little darlings to notice anything else!

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 08:33:52

You should be fine if you line them. Use a heavier blackout lining.

I made just such a pair of curtains this weekend for DGD. Although the fabric I bought was described as curtain fabric, it was more like dress fabric, it was so light, but with a blackout lining, it both excludes light and the weight of the lining makes sure that the curtains hang well.