Gransnet forums

House and home

Wool duvet

(20 Posts)
Pantglas1 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:09:33

Thinking of buying a wool duvet and wonder if anyone else has one?

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:25:29

I have a Merino wool patterned over-blanket I use in the winter. Quite expensive to purchase and to also dry-clean each year but I couldn't live without it in winter it's been a marvellous investment. It was a couple of hundred pound and I swear that it keeps aches and pains at bay.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:27:42

Ooooh, I've just looked online and the cover similar to mine is £310

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:29:42

Highly recommendable !

jaylucy Sat 13-Jul-19 11:35:38

Yes I have one and their great especially in the winter as not heavy, but still cosy - better than polyester filled ones!
Mine was from Dunelm and you just use the usual duvet covers

SueDonim Sat 13-Jul-19 14:28:20

I have one, from Baavet. I'm not totally in love with it. It's heavy and it doesn't drape well. It's also quite crackly to begin with, because the cover has to be tightly woven so that no wool strands escape, therefore the fabric is stiff.

I wouldn't buy another, which probably says it all.

crazyH Sat 13-Jul-19 14:31:27

I'd have an asthma attack with all that wool - no Thankyou !

Norah Sat 13-Jul-19 14:37:13

I have one. Use it all winter. Quite lovely and warm.

silverlining48 Sat 13-Jul-19 15:47:46

Wool woukd probably make me itch. I use a 4.5 tog manmade quilt all year, but feet get very cold so have an electric blanket in case of chill. Also bedsocks which do the job.

SueDonim Sat 13-Jul-19 16:25:43

Itching was a concern for me as I can't wear wool but I will say that it's not been a concern with my Baavet duvet.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:00:23

Merino wool doesn't itch. It's used for babies prams/pushchairs, warm in winter cool in summer.

Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:05:39

But it's not in a duvet

mosaicwarts Sat 13-Jul-19 17:41:28

I have a wool Devon Duvet and cannot fault it. Flat as a pancake so easy to change the duvet cover, warm in winter, cool in summer.

As I have psoriasis I wanted a natural fabric that breathes (it is enclosed in a cotton cover), plus seeing photos of the geese being live plucked put me off feather duvets forever. Expensive but worth every penny, should last forever.

I also bought a Baavet - don't like it as much as my Devon Duvet.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:50:20

I also have a feather quilt for the winter. Wrapped up for the South Pole 6 months of the year !

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:59:36

silverlining48 I would die from hypothermia even in winter with such a small tog. Mine is 15 tog summer and winter. In winter I have a hot water bottle and in summer I occasionally throw off the duvet but never for long. A good job we are not all the same.

craftyone Sat 13-Jul-19 19:06:39

I have a beautiful wool duvet, actually 2 duvets that can be fastened together from
www.thewoolroom.com/bedding/wool-duvets/

I bought an all season set. My husband who had asthma never suffered from this wool. They are beautifully made, not in togs but g of wool. The all seasons set is 200g and 300g. 300g i good in all but the coldest winters when I join the two together. I have had all sorts of duvets over a long time and wool is way better than eg down or silk

boho43 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:29:59

Mosaicwarts

May I ask where you bought your Devon Duvet please. It sounds just like what I am looking for?

mosaicwarts Sat 13-Jul-19 20:13:14

Hello boho43, you can get them in John Lewis, but I went direct to Devon Duvets - lovely people. I think they'd just been on Dragon's Den when I purchased from them, I've had it about ten years now smile and it's like new.

www.devonduvets.com/

boho43 Sat 13-Jul-19 21:21:39

mosaicwarts Thank you so much. I have had a quick look at their website - very interesting & so much choice. Decision, decision decision!

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 01:14:59

Some very informative posts here, thank you!