Gransnet forums

House and home

Buying a new mattress. Your opinions, please.

(27 Posts)
SueDonim Sat 13-Jul-19 14:48:48

I need to replace my mattress and am bewildered by the choice, so I was hoping to get people's thoughts and experiences.

I want a king-size mattress for a divan bed. I currently have a fairly expensive memory foam one, which is 8-10 years old. I love the memory foam in that I don't wake up aching or with sore spots. On the other hand, I find it's prone to making me too hot and over time the top has acquired an imprint of where we sleep, with a hump in the middle. The side has also sagged outwards and we find it so heavy that it's very hard to rotate it regularly, as recommended.

Therefore, what to replace it with? I see newer memory foam mattresses that claim to be 'Cool top' and similar phrases. Does this actually work? Is the foam supposed to acquire an imprint of one's body? My daughter says it is, but I don't know!

There are many other types of mattress also available, ones with pillow-tops, ones with wool or cotton or alpaca fillings. One review I read of a wool-filled mattress said it smelt as though you were living in a farmyard, which doesn't sound very appealing!

Then there's price. Obviously one can buy a mattress for occasional use quite cheaply, but is it the case that you get what you pay for? Is a £1000 mattress that much better than a £500 one? Is a £5000 one five times 'better' than a £1000 version? Don't worry, I won't be paying £5000! grin

Nellieamy Wed 16-Sep-20 17:20:35

Please have a look at - www.youngathearthealthcare.co.uk, we sell a range of mattresses, but our best seller is the latex hybrid mattress. It is 2000 sprung with an 8cm latex topper, unlike memory foam, latex is a natural product and lets the body breath, it is cool in the summer, warm in the winter and is hypoallergenic. We also sell latex pillows which are designed to support the neck. Review our testimonials, we offer free no obligation home demonstrations on our products anywhere in the UK.

Shandy57 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:00:15

My daughter chose an OTTY which has a cool gel layer on top to stop you overheating - because of this you cannot use an electric blanket with it. Luckily we still have hot water bottles.

steveengine Mon 14-Sep-20 17:28:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

craftyone Sun 26-Jan-20 07:37:15

Back aagain. I am managing my mattress fine by myself, remembering that it is a 3` single, it is still and needs to be turned or flipped. Cost a lot, is a hypnos regency and is supremely comfortable. No regrets about the make/type and the one I am sleeping on is now 5 years old, behaves like new

I found this site today, lots of information and the most mattresses on one site. I have to say that we tried memory foam in the past and it was far too hot
www.mynextmattress.co.uk/

nathan27 Sun 26-Jan-20 04:48:56

MOLIY Fri 23-Aug-19 09:41:36

craftyone Thu 18-Jul-19 12:17:42

I hated memory foam, far too hot for me. I love my hypnos mattress. It is very heavy to turn or flip, even as a single size but I have 2 singles side by side, buying these three months before my husband died. I have enough good hypnos to last me all my days and very glad with my choice

Happychops Mon 15-Jul-19 03:32:13

I would try before you buy. We bought a new bed and although we tried it in the shop it was so uncomfortable that we were not sleeping. We bought a new mattress as we thought the one we bought was too firm this didn’t work either as there was no give in the base.
Eventually we bought a pocket sprung bed and mattress which was expensive, but we now sleep comfortably every night waking refreshed. I would look in a shop try several beds until something suits you.
Order the one you like from an online company as the rules are different to buying from a shop, if it’s not right you can send it back and try something else until you are happy. We made an expensive mistake and would hate someone else to do the same. Good luck with your bed shopping.

Lazigirl Sun 14-Jul-19 15:22:23

Mattresses are such a personal preference. I have arthritis and wanted a comfy mattress so we bought a memory foam (well known and expensive). We tried it during the winter for about 8 weeks and hated it, was so hot, and was relegated to spare room. We then bought natural collection linen medium, from John Lewis and have been really happy with it. I also find Premier Inn beds super comfy when we stay there, but the idea of wool topper puts me off for long term use, as I would imagine wool topper will squash unevenly. May be wrong, they haven't felt lumpy.

Yorksherlass Sun 14-Jul-19 15:15:27

Cool mattresses don’t work for me and wasn’t cheap

gransal Sun 14-Jul-19 14:44:26

sorry, ellan.

gransal Sun 14-Jul-19 14:43:19

ellen thank you. will have a good look at the dunlopillow.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 13:16:56

These are all really helpful, so thank you for posting your thoughts! smile

SpringyChicken Sat 13-Jul-19 22:47:26

We always sleep well on the Premier Inn beds and am tempted to buy one of those mattresses next time. The kingsize costs £525. www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

Calendargirl Sat 13-Jul-19 22:04:32

Have often wondered about these try before you buy mattresses. What happens to the returned ones that someone has slept on for 90 days? Are they re-sold as seconds or what?

seacliff Sat 13-Jul-19 21:54:08

I'm looking at mattresses too. I will go for a pocket sprung double, as I don't like foam, I get too hot. I am heavy so understand I need a medium firm with at least 1500 springs, for long lasting support.

It is a bit of a minefield knowing what make/model is best. This company sell beds but also have a lot of information about beds on their site. johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/pocket-springs/

I have found two fairly local factories that make beds, (one makes good beds for the hotel industry.) They can be bought direct, so apparently the are good value for a quality bed. I will go and try next week.

midgey Sat 13-Jul-19 21:36:24

The man in the shop told me the memory bit is to go back to its original shape, I thought it was supposed to remember your shape! He also said that you shouldn’t sit on themshock

Greyduster Sat 13-Jul-19 20:46:12

We have a Dunlopillo mattress which we bought after having slept on one for a week in a cottage we rented. It was bliss - so good, we took a photo of the label and went out and bought one almost as soon as we got home. I slept on it for three days and absolutely hated it as, after a few hours every night, I cooked! We were in protracted correspondence with Dunlopillo until they sent a rep to have a look at it. They declared that there was nothing wrong with it - it was down to me and recommended cotton bed linen, (which I used) and cotton nightwear (which I used). We stuck it out until we moved and then relegated it to the guest room. People who stay here do say it is rather warm to sleep on. Possibly the biggest white elephant we have ever bought. We now have a Myers king sized pocket sprung mattress which is the best we have ever had and cost a fraction of the Dunlopillo. Pocket springs (the more the better) are the way to go.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:06:14

Gransal, yes the Dunlopillo's do keep their shape and like the mattresses are brilliant, not too soft that your head sinks and not hard either. It sort of moulds to the contours of your head and neck.

Honestly, I don't have any aches and pains between the Dunlopillo mattress and Pillow and the Merino overblanket.

Katyj Sat 13-Jul-19 16:24:01

We've just bought a new hypnos mattress cost about 800.We had a memory foam before and it went just like you said.This one is very comfy I'm sleeping through the whole night now for 7 hours and staying a lot cooler. Hope that helps.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:06:17

There are lots of mattresses in a box which you can buy online. You are given 90 days to try them out. My daughter recently bought one and tried out about 5 before they found one they liked.

shysal Sat 13-Jul-19 16:01:19

Here are some expensive ones! I have an Octaspring topper and pillow and they are fantastic. No more sore hips or ears. They contain memory foam formed into spring shapes, and are not hot. Good luck with your search.
www.dormeo.co.uk/

tanith Sat 13-Jul-19 15:52:28

I have a pocket sprung mattress it’s very comfy no lumps or bumps or sagging. I have multiple joint Osteo-Arthritis and a bad back and hip-replacements and I am really comfortable on this mattress.

gransal Sat 13-Jul-19 15:48:13

Ellen do you find the dunlopillo pillows keep their shape well? I am looking at pillows at the moment and am fed up with pillows that do not keep their shape. I bought dorma last time but they have not lasted very long.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 15:41:40

I have a Dunlopillo mattress----perfect. No lumps, bumps or springs.
You might get a double for around £1,500 but it's money well spent.
They don't need turning either ( that's if you could because they're heavy )
Also a Dunlopillo pillow too.