Gransnet forums

House and home

moving house

(7 Posts)
CassieJ Wed 17-Jul-19 16:14:16

Not sure if this is the right place, but just need to discuss with others to see if anyone knows of any help I can get.

I am 60 years and live with my 18 yr old son in a private rental. We have lived here for 8 years and been good tenants. I am on very low income, have no savings and according to tax credits and DWP website I am entitled to no help. My son has recently left college after doing his A levels, and he is desperately looking for work, but so far nothing has come up. He has a small part time job, but that is zero hour as and when required.

My landlord has now decided to sell up and want the sale to go through ASAP. I know all my tenancy rights, but want to be as fair to him as can be as he has been a good landlord. I can't see how we can find anywhere to live in the two month time frame which is allowed by law [ section 21 allows tenants two months to move out ]

The problem I have is I don't earn enough to rent anywhere else, and it seems as two single adults we can't get on any housing list. I just don't have the upfront fees of 6 weeks rent in advance plus a hefty deposit. I need to be near this area due to work as any extra travel will just put my costs up, and not earning a lot every penny counts, so we can't really move too far even if we could afford to [ which we can't] . Feel like we are completely stuck and I am stressed out and worried as to where we can go when we have no money.

I know I am clutching at straws, but does anyone know of any help we could get? Thank you if you have got this far smile

Nonnie Wed 17-Jul-19 16:30:49

I don't really know but would suggest you go to the CAB asap as they will have someone who can advise you. Don't put it off, do it right away. Good luck

petra Wed 17-Jul-19 16:47:22

CassieJ
On the CA website it states that 'some' councils offer help with borrowing the rental deposit.
Give them a ring.

GrandmaMoira Wed 17-Jul-19 16:49:48

You could try Shelter. I believe they have a helpline.

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 16:59:00

A housing association nearby ?

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 17:01:24

The association near me don't charge a deposit nor a month in advance. It's independent living whether you work or not.

Grammaretto Thu 18-Jul-19 06:39:42

Have you tried your local council?
I know they get a bad press but there will be a housing officer who should know it would be cheaper to help house you and your son than it would be to pay for you in emergency housing. Eg B&B.
I hope you find help soon.