Gransnet forums

House and home

Where do the holes in front of my tee shirts come from

(79 Posts)
robbo Sun 21-Jul-19 15:32:59

I just cant work it out, so many of my tee shirts tiny holes appear in the front, nowhere else just the front on my waist line. I dont wear a belt so it isnt that. I am mystified I have so many teeshirts that have very little wear and ruined after only a few wears. Any ideas ??

Patsy70 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:45:56

I've had lengthy discussions on this in other forums and there wasn't one reason for the holes, but a combination - pressing against kitchen worktops, trouser tops (the pointy bit!), car seat belts and inferior quality of material. I even approached Boden, as a number of their tops resulted in holes, but they didn't accept responsibility, just offered me a small voucher.

Swanny Tue 23-Jul-19 19:43:10

A long time ago I had contact with several people who smoked pot/marijuana/ganga and who all had small holes at the front of all their t-shirts ...
I'm not saying you're all a bunch of dopeheads but ... lol wink

Blinko Tue 23-Jul-19 19:10:59

I've been following this thread, thinking, 'little holes, wot little holes?' Then just today I found one at waist level in an oldish vest top! Whatever it is that's doing it, they've found me shock

Amagran Tue 23-Jul-19 11:54:28

Yes I get these little holes too. I wonder if the moths are attracted to the extra sweat deposited in that area generated by the waistband of our trousers/skirts? Personally I wouldn't want to chomp on anyone's sweaty clothes, but with moths there is no accounting for taste! grin

Speldnan Tue 23-Jul-19 11:18:49

Do you wear a belt? I got that a lot on fine cotton T shirts and concluded it was the buckle on my jean’s belt.

fluttERBY123 Mon 22-Jul-19 21:37:09

Feeling left out, never get holes, even with 2 cats.

glammagran Mon 22-Jul-19 18:49:13

I get loads of tiny holes in tops at waist level. It’s the belt buckle from my belted jeans.

silverscarlett Mon 22-Jul-19 17:13:28

I had the same issue, then realised it was caused by catching the material in my the zip of my jeans. Easily done, as no one pays much attention when getting dressed or after going to the loo!

Boolya Mon 22-Jul-19 16:29:52

It happens to me too and I now wear an apron when cooking as my fat little tummy is rubbing on the edge of the work surface

KnittyNannie Mon 22-Jul-19 15:42:11

I, too, have been mystified by tiny holes on the front of my t-shirt. My daughter says she gets them too. She reckons that they're caused by leaning against the kitchen sink when wearing jeans which have buttons. My husband never gets them in his t-shirts. I wonder why! Seriously, for a long time I thought I must have moths in my t-shirt drawer.

Llamedos13 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:18:26

Same here, I have a favourite brand of t shirt and after a few wears they all have the strange little holes exactly where you all have them. Just put one on this morning and sure enough, there they are. Can’t figure out what is causing them.

grammargran Mon 22-Jul-19 14:33:08

Hooray, it’s not just me - but it’s sooooo annoying! Ruined a brand new top recently and had only worn it once! Like Cherrytree54 mine often appear in a small triangle. I rarely use bleach so it’s not that. My working tops have rounded edges so it can’t be them. I think it’s jeans/trouser buttons plus seat belts. It only seems to happen to me in our family and has been going on for years. I feel amazingly better now I know I’m not alone!

HHBBNN54 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:51:00

I never get holes in t shirts, I noticed one round hole in a skirt and my underwear seems to go into holes.

Agranbytheendofthesummer Mon 22-Jul-19 13:25:53

Just ordered a pack of the Holé button covers ????

Tartlet Mon 22-Jul-19 12:42:10

I'm pretty sure that the main cause of those tiny holes is a small chip on the edge of our granite worktop. It's just where I stand to do anything at the sink and I now keep the chip covered with a piece of sellotape and the holes are much less frequent. The added factor of jeans metal buttons means that holes still happen but not as much.

I'm relieved that it's a common problem. I thought it was just me.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:41:14

I think it is probably just a weak spot in the fabric.

That said I have noticed fewer holes after the cat who cuddled with his claws out died.

annep1 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:07:49

I too am amazed at all these holes. Gillybob wears an apron so that is ruled out. I cant think why I haven't got any. Don't know what everyone does that I don't ?

CleoPanda Mon 22-Jul-19 12:05:08

@pollyolly - hilarious!

GreenGran78 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:01:03

Incidentally, there is a company called Rapanui who pay for you to return their t-shirts, when they are worn- out, and recycle them into new ones. They are a little expensive, but very good quality.

GreenGran78 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:54:16

Hi Poppy11 Welcome to Gransnet. Though you don't want sympathy, I can empathise with you as I had a hip replacement recently, and my mobility was severely limited - but only for a few weeks. I found it very frustrating, having to rely on other people for help in the house, and lifts to wherever I wanted to go. I really feel for anyone who is this situation permanently.

As for the 'holy t-shirts', I have never had this problem. I do have a use for old ones, though. I cut them up to make t-shirt yarn (instructions can be Googled, if interested) and knit/crochet shopping bags and other things with it. Good for charity sales, and the environment.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:52:21

I had this happen recently. I was staying in a house with gas hobs and wondered if it was tiny burns from the automatic ignition? Plus the fabrics are sometimes finer.

pollyolly Mon 22-Jul-19 11:29:08

My d.d. had holes appearing in her clothes when she was living in Lesotho. Turned out the local lady who did her laundry spread them out on a barbed wire fence ! Don't think that's the problem in the U.K.

inishowen Mon 22-Jul-19 11:26:15

My husband gets a tear in all his shirts. It's the same place, on the side at waist level. He scrambles in and out of small aircraft every day so there must be something sharp he catches on.

Poppy11 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:25:57

Mini moon
Hi
I am a wheelchair user and wear a apron.still never mind.its lovely having people to ‘talk to’ thank you. I am confined to the upstairs of my house at the moment.please don’t feel sorry for me.my body is not much cop but my brain is fully functional and raring to natter.god bless you all.

Tris68 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:12:49

I did brave the shave a few years ago & gave my hubby the t-shirt. He has worn it constantly (one of his faves) but it has started to get holes in it. I've banned him from wearing it out of the house & keep threatening to bin it but he refuses to part with it!