Gransnet forums

House and home

How did you decide where to retire?

(90 Posts)
birchermuesli Fri 09-Aug-19 12:51:09

Husband and I are racked with indecision. He is a non-driver and I'm nervous about motorways, so the idea of making lots of road trips to explore different areas is making me anxious. Currently in London, keen to get out. Thinking of a cottagey type house in a lively market town - maybe Yorkshire, maybe Norfolk, maybe Cotswolds, maybe Dorset, maybe Devon, the list goes on....wish a fairy godmother could wave a magic wand and we'd find ourselves installed! How did you decide?

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 15:34:29

Can't see that anyone has answered about CH, I think it is Switzerland although I haven't checked the post.

mumof I think it is your attitude which has made it all work for you. You appear to have decided to like it, join in and not look back. Seems to me that is the best approach once the decision has been made.

GrandmaMoira Mon 12-Aug-19 14:59:17

I have moved recently from inner to outer London so I still have facilities near - shops, GP, transport but the area is quieter and greener. I don't drive and wouldn't want to be in a village. For those who say the roads are bad in Kent, I don't feel they are but if you are used to other parts of the country, the trains are very slow - it takes about 1 hr 30 minutes from my nearby station to do the 50 miles to the Kent coast.

Witchypoo Mon 12-Aug-19 12:54:37

Hubby was able to retire at 65. So he did. I stayed at a job i really enjoyed until his dementia got that he couldnt be left alone. I retired then although had been getting my pension for quite a while. We stayed where we were as no family to worry about

mumofmadboys Sun 11-Aug-19 07:07:43

We retired to the Lake District 4 years ago and love it. In a town. Very active U3A. Lots going on -theatre, cinema, supermarkets, market all within walking distance. Fantastic walking. Down side - nearest hospital 30 miles away. We have no regrets and think it was one of our best life decisions( after marriage and kids that is!)

Jani31 Sun 11-Aug-19 06:50:37

My youngest DD went through Devon on her way to Cornwall. It was shut, nothing open till May, Tescos was open till 4pm, it was a Sunday and then they found a pizza place for their dinner. I know that in my old home village, buses are 1 an hour, less on Sunday. They are lucky, one village has a bus 3 times a week!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:18:57

Thanks @jillybird that looks like a very systematic process you had for deciding, with great results.

boho43 Sat 10-Aug-19 22:15:19

Interesting to hear the comments about Cornwall. Very true about the hospitals, although funnily enough it was announced this week that our hospital in Truro is going to be extended, but this of course won’t be for a couple of years I would imagine.

We are retired, but are moving from Cornwall after to Somerset to be nearer family & far better transport links . Many small villages & towns within easy reach & free car parking.

Plus less rain - what a bonus that will be!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:11:18

@evianers hmm, what is CH? Good luck with the packing cases!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:05:50

Hi jura2, glad my name made you laugh! It's just because I love bircher muesli! Thanks for the comments. I've just joined Gransnet and this was my first post, I'm not sure what I'm doing as regards replies, some people I've private messaged and others I'm posting comments but I'm not sure my comments are going in the right place to be seen by the intended recipients. I'll get the hang of it no doubt. I'm really appreciating all the words of wisdom, what a great community!

grannysyb Sat 10-Aug-19 22:05:41

Both retired, staying put in SW London. DH no longer able to drive, and if I couldn't we would be able to cope as the station is down the road and we have good bus services which we don't have to pay for.Doctor just round the corner, theatres and cinemas in Richmond and Kingston. I love visiting the country but prefer living in town.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:53:07

Good luck Elliane, hope Devon works out for you.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:50:25

Nfkdumpling I quite like the gypsy plan!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:46:43

thanks seacliff, I hadn't thought about Devon being green because of rain...glad you are happily settled in Suffolk.

grannybuy Sat 10-Aug-19 19:04:47

Also consider how each of you would cope on your own.

kittylester Sat 10-Aug-19 18:43:03

In answer to the OP- when dh retired we didn't think of going anywhere else. The children and grandchildren are all with in striking distance as are our friends!

Boring or what!

oodles Sat 10-Aug-19 18:33:42

I lived for a while in Norfolk, it is so cold in Winter. Going back on holiday I see that in some of the lovely little towns facilities are closing, banks, there are fewér buses, and the main hospitals are kings Lynn, norwich and Yarmouth. Well to do people are pushing up house prices too. If you're too near the coast in places there is a lot if erosion. I think you really need to be near a good railway line so Norwich or roundabout there would be good
My children don't want me to move far away, so if in the future I have problems they don't have to spend a lot of time travelling to help me, one lives about an hour and a half away, the other about 29 mins away, and I can get into London easily. V tempted to move back to York's, when my parents were Ill the medical and social care was so much better than it is here. I'd be a long way away from my children though. Someone suggested Skipton, it is surprisingly ac feasible, Ilkley too, or even Parts of Shipley, public transport is good and there is a lot going on and you are very near lovely countryside, and a v shirt trip to Leeds in the train.

hazel93 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:50:02

Well, we have recently bought our retirement home in Cornwall, it's a total refurb. project and some but in the area we know and love.
I think it a good idea each of you make a list of "must have" and "no way" as a start - you may surprise each other !
Then research, research and more research !!
It's an adventure - good luck !

Jillybird Sat 10-Aug-19 17:35:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 17:34:25

Good point @Lazigirl about the hospital - you're the second person this week who has mentioned this to me in relation to Cornwall.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 17:32:42

Good luck with your own search @Willow500, it's not easy is it! Think you're right, renting before buying may be the way to go.

Judy54 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:13:27

Lots of sound advice here birchermuesli. It is important to think about not only what you want now but what your future needs may be. Villages can seem idyllic but not if you live in one where the shop or pub closes down (which they do frequently) and public transport is limited. In or near a Market Town with facilities would be a good choice and you would still have the lovely villages and surrounding countryside to visit. Best of luck in finding what you want.

Gonegirl Sat 10-Aug-19 16:32:08

We built this house ourselves (with help from friends in building trades) fifty-odd years ago. Lived in caravan on site while building going on, moved in when our first baby was six months old. I just can't imagine moving now. The house seems to be part of me. A bit like a shell!

I feel we should move. But just can't imagine myself doing it. Or DH for that matter.

I've probably missed out a lot, staying in one place. Perhaps one day....

Tickledpink Sat 10-Aug-19 15:51:55

We chose a town in East Sussex to be close to the sea, with good transport links, good shopping facilities, restaurants and a seafront in walking distance. The family is 85 miles away and they visit regularly, as do we.

Bijou Sat 10-Aug-19 15:04:48

Consider the fact that some time you may not be able to drive so move somewhere there is good public transport. I am stuck in a Norfolk village where there is one bus a day. Nearest hospital twenty miles away. Have to wait weeks to see your GP. Etc.

Notsooldat75 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:56:25

Thei do say that once you’ve lived in Norwich you never move. I arrived there for a six month ‘trial’ - 35 years later, I’m still there!
Theatres, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, incredible coast and countryside, all the shops you could want, and a fantastic mixture of age groups, young families, singletons, elderly, all in the same street in my case.
Consider it!