Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving to a rented retirement home

(13 Posts)
Yorkshiregirl Sat 10-Aug-19 14:23:25

Advice needed please.
I am considering selling my home to hopefully move into a rented retirement home maybe in a few years time to free up some money. I don't want the Equity release option.

So the problem is that I would need to sell my home to afford the rent, but how do I coincide the sale of my existing property with the availability/offer of a retirement rental?

Has anyone done this ?

M0nica Sat 10-Aug-19 14:41:51

Why not take the time to save up to six months rent ahead of starting the move. So you can secure the flat while you sell the house.

Alternatively, sell the house, move into temporary accommodation (an unsheltered flat) while you find a sutiable rental accommodation.

In the meanwhile scout out all the available rental retirement flats in your area, find the one you want and put your name down for one, but if it comes too soon, let the next person(s) on the list take it.

My aunt did that with a care home. She found one she liked, put her name on the list and then sat at the top of it until the moment she needed it.

Panache Sat 10-Aug-19 15:34:04

Actually Yorkshiregirl this is just what we did some 5 weeks ago......................but I have to be honest and stress........it did prove extremely difficult to oversee the whole business.

Ours was even more complicated because a terminal diagnoses meant we had no time to truly think the whole situation through,furthermore I am extremly unwell,80 years of age and I have absolutely no one .......family,friends or neighbours ......to assist in any way.

The whole business was horrendous but we did it and now 5 weeks into the move, with the Apartment beginning to look more like home daily, we consider ourselves very fortunate,and yes,it was the right thing to do.

Our home was already on the market though viewings were suspended for 6 months due to illness,we were on a list for advanced care in a sheltered housing complex,we were offered 2 apartments as it happened, co inciding with the diagnoses............ and we simply jumped in feet first!!!

House back on the market fully,all furniture were sent to a nearby Auction House after a visit from the Auctioneer.
I ordered the choice furniture we needed,and started packing!!
Taking only our personal belongings,things of personal value,and enough household stuff to see us through the next whatever years.
Booked a removal van and just hoped everything would fall into place.
From the day of diagnoses to the day of arrival it took just over 6 frantic weeks.
We actually had 5 viewers that week,one offer and another seriously interested party
Sadly we have since lost the buyer,his chain broke down.

However I certainly recommend it, but whichever way you do it,it must be up to you..............but yes,it is doable for sure.

Yorkshiregirl Sat 10-Aug-19 15:34:24

Thanks MOnica this is what I was thinking

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 16:07:59

Best thing I ever did when I was in my mid 60's at the start of a few health problems. Have been here for over 13 years now and at nearly 79 certainly wouldn't want to be uprooted .

Although not a retirement flat as such as there are mixed ages it's supported housing in case you wish to pay for support ( which I do ) should you have any problems of any sort. I also have an emergency link ( payable ) which goes through to staff who help make arrangements for either a GP or A&E as well as for any other emergency service.

It's independent living with your own front door and there are no charges to pay for internal property repair problems and only a contents insurance needed.

Panache it's so good to hear from you and I'm pleased that you've found what you wanted/needed. It'll be such less worry which will be a good thing to aid recovery slightly. No more rattling around in a place which doesn't benefit you so now you can sit back and enjoy your new surrounds.

ninathenana Sat 10-Aug-19 18:54:11

It must be different if you want to rent sheltered housing or similar. Or is it that you have been a home owner I wonder. Just curious.
DD and husband have rented before and never had arrears. Due to circumstances they have not rented for 2 yrs. Even though they have funds to pay 6mths up front no landlord will take them as they have no rental references. We as retirees can not be guarantors as although we own our home we don't have sufficient monthly income.
They are stuck between a rock n a hard place.

Hetty58 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:49:58

Renting in retirement seems like a sensible choice to me. There's no worries about major maintenance problems or loads of extra unused rooms with accompanying high bills. My friend put most of his furniture in storage and just stayed with his son in between selling his house and finding a flat to rent.

Yorkshiregirl Sun 11-Aug-19 16:09:50

Panache thank you for your reply. I'm so pleased you are settling in, but so very sorry about your health problems.

Sending love and best wishes x

Yorkshiregirl Sun 11-Aug-19 16:12:48

Thank you all for redponding. I'm still undecided at the moment, which perhaps says it all. ?

glammanana Sun 11-Aug-19 16:22:07

Yorkshiregirl I worked for a very well known retirement living company before I retired and even though some of their properties bought a few on each development where rented to over 55s at a reasonable rent they used to rent them through Girlings which you can find on line and they will tell you where in the Country they have availability.
All their properties are self contained but most also have a house manager on site for yours and your families peace of mind.

Nannarose Sun 11-Aug-19 17:14:56

Renting is sensible as long as you know you an afford the rent, plus likely increases and maintenance charges. I think EllenVannin's and Panache's posts show why you are sensible to be thinking now.

In your shoes I would start to look around at likely places, get a sense of costs and waiting lists. I would see an Independent Financial Adviser to discuss those aspects, and I would discuss their advice with a trusted friends or family member ( I have had poor experience of an IFA and always want to run a 'common sense' check!)
Of course, if you can tie in the new rent and the house sale that would be very good, but if you can't I would prioritise the house sale (depending rather on where you live and what your finances are). If you have sold but can't move in to your new place, you could put stuff in to storage, then:
do a grand tour of the friends & relatives for some weeks
go on an extended cruise
rent a pleasant short-term property nearby, or even abroad, inviting select friends to stay

Some friends of mine, finding a 6 month hiatus between selling and moving in did most of these!

Yorkshiregirl Mon 12-Aug-19 11:33:49

Thanks everyone

quizqueen Mon 12-Aug-19 11:44:51

I would never give up the security of owning to replace this with renting unless I had no family that I wished to leave any inheritance to. If not, it makes sense, I suppose.