Gransnet forums

House and home

Replacing beds

(21 Posts)
Peonyrose Tue 13-Aug-19 20:04:39

How often do you change your bed? Just realised mine is 10 years old.

fizzers Tue 13-Aug-19 20:51:40

Haven't changed the bed in years, there's nothing wrong with it, but have changed the mattress

RosieLeah Tue 13-Aug-19 20:58:14

Same here. I bought a new mattress last year, but there was no need to buy a new bed.

Bathsheba Tue 13-Aug-19 21:00:23

Mine is about 12 years old and, to be perfectly honest, it's still absolutely fine, so I've no plans to replace the mattress yet.

BradfordLass72 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:07:44

My present bed has a 10 year guarantee, so obviously it doesn't want me to change it before then!

Seriously though, you really only change a bed if you feel you are not sleeping right and then, as fizzers says, you can simply buy a new mattress.

The bed shops will advise against putting a new mattress on an old base but that's only because they want to whip another $800 from your pocket.

I did once ask the bed manufacturer (my son at 6ft 7 needs to have his beds specially made) if there was any posture or health reason for changing the base as well and he admitted that there wasn't if you have a good quality base to begin with.

Years ago, I changed from a medium to firm mattress when I felt the bed was too soft for my old bones.

Previous to that, I downsized from a Queen to a King Single but only because I wanted more room in my bedroom.

So I suppose it all depends on your reasons - and the quality of your bed Peonyrose - what a pretty name
smile

phoenix Tue 13-Aug-19 21:16:07

Our bed base is metal, so should be ok for ever? But the mattress was bought in 2005, so perhaps overdue for replacement!

However, feels ok, and we we're hoping to make some changes in the bathroom, so a new mattress isn't in the current budget. sad

Peonyrose Tue 13-Aug-19 21:17:33

I think it was seeing those pictures of dust mites on tv that started me thinking about the bed.?

Charleygirl5 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:20:45

Why spend/waste money if your bed is comfortable?

MiniMoon Tue 13-Aug-19 21:36:22

My bed is about 17 years old, and needs replaced. We went to look at beds today, but there are a dizzying amount of different types, and different types of mattress too. This is going to take some thinking about!

annodomini Tue 13-Aug-19 22:57:45

After 18 years, my bed base was still good, but the mattress was definitely sagging, I replaced the mattress and the difference was immense. At this moment it is calling to me! moon

BradfordLass72 Wed 14-Aug-19 03:57:52

Peonyrose

In that case, don't ever look up information about the mites which live in your eyelashes!! grin

fiorentina51 Wed 14-Aug-19 07:15:09

Or the spiders on your face.....?
www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150508-these-mites-live-on-your-face

travelsafar Wed 14-Aug-19 07:49:49

How do you decide on the matress that is right for you. I was looking on line at matressess the other day and thinking should i get a new one. Reason for online is that they deliver and remove old one for you, plus they had some in the sale . How did you decide what was right for you???

rubysong Wed 14-Aug-19 08:06:04

We once made a big mistake Travelsafar by buying a mattress online. It was harder than expected and we had to get a memory foam topper to make it better. Last year we bought a new bed and spent quite a long time in a shop trying beds before we decided. We are very pleased this time with what we choose.

Jane10 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:29:45

Just spent ages deciding on a new mattress. Lying on the display ones in full public view was most awkward! Eventually I did find one I quite liked but even then I had to buy a memory foam topper to put on top of the stingy memory foam layer on the new one. The delivery company took away the old one. Not a problem.

MiniMoon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:31:44

The salesman in the bed shop yesterday advised us to lie on the mattresses to see what they were like. He advised lying down on them for 15 minutes!!
I thought I would take a day, go and lie on the beds, take note of the type and make of mattress, and then see if they were cheaper anywhere online.
I'd better choose a day after a good night's sleep though. ?

Jane10 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:33:48

Oooh Minimoon 'showrooming,' as its called. The reason for all those big shop failures.

EllanVannin Wed 14-Aug-19 10:40:20

Part with my 3/4 iron-framed solid-oak head-boarded bed ?

No way !

Ellianne Wed 14-Aug-19 10:45:35

We've just changed ours after 12 years but we were moving house so it made sense. The mattress looked like it had seen better days and the puppy had chewed the base a few years ago, so all in all the right time to discard it.

Itsnotme Fri 30-Aug-19 22:54:58

I had a benson bed and mattress. Damn uncomfortable. It felt like I was being thrown out.

jeanie99 Mon 02-Sep-19 07:36:02

You'll go round and round in circles trying to decide about a new mattress. Today there are so many different types to choose from and so many manufacturers telling you why you should purchase their mattress.