Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving closer to family for independence

(9 Posts)
marialondon Mon 19-Aug-19 12:21:22

Hello! I am looking to speak with anyone who is planning (or has already) moved to London to be closer to family, in order to remain independent. I would love to hear any experiences you have about doing this, or if you are in the process - how it's going. I'd love to connect to have a chat further if anyone is interested as it will help a project I'm working on!

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 13:47:45

Oh Lord - just don't go to London: smelly, noisy, ugly, crowded, inhuman - people walk past fellow humans lying in the street. I can manage a few hours there before dashing back home to breathe some fresh air and soak up some green.

lemongrove Mon 19-Aug-19 13:56:15

That’s a generalisation Luckygirl on life in London ( or any major city.)
There are plenty of areas that have great community spirit there, as well as London being a hub of culture and wonderful parks.
If Maria wants to live near family ( and the family live there) it’s understandable to move there.
It’s donkeys years since I lived in London, but good friends of ours have done just that, moving from a leafy village to a busy London street ( family live nearby) and they love it there, a ten min drive to Primrose Hill and Regents Park.

HildaW Mon 19-Aug-19 14:25:33

'....help a project I'm working on' This smacks of research not mutual support.

M0nica Mon 19-Aug-19 14:41:14

No indication either what the project is, who for and for what purpose.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 15:34:41

My post had a hint of light-heartedness in it - I know many people love London and city life - but it is my idea of hell!!

Greenfinch Mon 19-Aug-19 15:37:39

I too was put off by the idea of a project rather than a genuine situation.

crystaltipps Mon 19-Aug-19 16:15:34

I live in London - where I live is leafy, lots of parks, lots of shops and restaurants and easy access to all the galleries and theatres. Its a bit of a sweeping generalisation to say its smelly crowded inhuman etc, I’m sure there’s parts of the sticks which are run down, impoverished, smelly, nosey, neighbours, non existent transport or services which aren’t the best places to move to. Not answering the OP, sorry.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 18:24:22

It's the non-existence of transport that makes it so wonderfully peaceful!