Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower Trays

(12 Posts)
Countrylife Mon 02-Sep-19 09:09:42

Hi, to some this may seem obvious but I’m getting confusing advice. We bought, from a now going bust bathroom supplier, a 1200mm x 800mm shower cabinet 10 years ago to do a small extension on modern build but changed our minds. Now we are in the countryside and doing major extension to an old cottage. Although I’d like a walk in shower now, we can’t waste that money which, was over £1200 back then! We didn’t get the shower tray and now if you check all the bathroom sites for size of tray they just tell you sizes available or to “measure existing tray”. Well I don’t have an existing tray so my question is for this size cabinet/enclosure what size tray do I need. 1200x 800 or larger? It looks to me as though the enclosures stand n the tray so they should be slightly larger.

If anyone knows the answer I’d be enormously grateful! Ta.

annep1 Mon 02-Sep-19 09:16:03

Surely if you ring or go to a supplier with this information they will be able to help.
Or whoever is doing the job for you.
I'm sure they are standard sizes.

Countrylife Mon 02-Sep-19 09:25:05

I asked a large DIY online and they said measure existing tray! I mentioned it to the builder and he said ask the plumber, we don’t have one as yet still working on nitty gritty and after reading every flipping online bathroom website this morning only to constantly see no link whatsoever to size of tray needed, I thought I’d ask the wonderful Gransnet gang.

ninathenana Mon 02-Sep-19 09:44:48

Does the cubicle not sit on top the rim of the tray ? I don't have a walk in but I'm sure everywhere I've been that's how it is.

ninathenana Mon 02-Sep-19 09:47:30

Like this

Farmor15 Mon 02-Sep-19 22:10:12

Looking at standard shower tray sizes, 1200 x 800 seems to be one of the sizes, so it’s probably the right one for your cabinet. Next size was 1400 x 900 but I’d say that would be too big.

crystaltipps Tue 03-Sep-19 03:17:22

Sell the cabinet. They are impossible to clean and the doors break.
Get a walk in shower.

Countrylife Tue 03-Sep-19 07:12:51

Tempting!

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 07:48:05

You're right CrystalTipps. Too late for us.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Sep-19 07:59:41

I have a shower just that size. The surround sits on the outside top edge of the tray. Therefore 1200 x 800 is correct. There's never been a problem with cleaning or the sliding door on mine.

Farmor15 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:54:23

To me the advantage of an enclosed shower over a walk in type is that it's warmer! If you don't have a very warm house, the shower cubicle heats up quickly from the steam, nice and cosy!

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:39:00

Cleaning round the base and the fiddly supports with a spray and tiny brush takes a lot of energy and the seal edges get a hit grubby. All work. Walk in just has one glass panel.