Gransnet forums

House and home

Ring/Camera Door bells anyone.?

(15 Posts)
bikergran Thu 05-Sep-19 20:27:15

The way my house and front door is situated I am not able to see who is at my front door unless I open it (I do have frosted glass and can sometimes tell who it is but not always, and by that time they have seen me open the middle door.

Just been having a read about the Ring or similar door bells that a have a little camera attached.

App when someone rings the door bell it sends an alert to your mobile.

Not sure about the spec as there are different models.

Just wondering if anyone has one or thinking of one.

I could put ctv up but that's more costly just to see whos at my front door, plus they are rather bulky and intrusive.

Seems to be pros n cons (poor signal/wifi) etc.

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-Sep-19 20:32:53

A close relative has installed one.
Has app on phone, can view anyone on drive and at door even when not at home.
The Mobile pings when the camera is activated.

Grannybags Thu 05-Sep-19 20:59:58

We have an intercom phone so we can can speak to, but not see, whoever is at the door. It's easy then to just say "sorry I can't come to the door at the moment" if it's not someone you know.

We know someone with a camera which alerts his phone and he says there is quite a delay between the doorbell ringing and getting the picture on his phone.

Charleygirl5 Thu 05-Sep-19 21:17:12

My system is not Ring but if anybody rings my doorbell I can see who is at the door, have a conversation with them and also take a snapshot. This is not worked via my phone because that would be beyond me. I have the same system upstairs because I cannot get downstairs quickly any more.

This was installed many years ago when I needed a better system.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Sep-19 21:21:33

I've worked with staff recently who all have an app on their phones.

They can see what's going on and who is coming and going at their homes whilst they're at work!

Anja Thu 05-Sep-19 21:57:30

It’s OK but with mine there is a bit of a delay. Probably I need a better mobile.

jusnoneed Thu 05-Sep-19 22:41:20

My cousin, who lives in Michigan, saw by using her system and phone someone suspicious at her house while she was over here in the UK on holiday. Got pictures and times of when a woman was mooching around, notified local police who checked and kept an eye on the house until they returned home a week later. She also warned her neighbour about what was happening.

bikergran Fri 06-Sep-19 09:35:32

Thanks for replies, yes I have noticed that some reviews say there is a delay between doorbell and notification on the phone. hmm my internet isnt brilliant, I shall investigate further.

Just for instance I had knock on door yesterday and ended up going door. It was Virgin media man (again)!!!!

I said " i DO NOT WANT VIRGIN MEDIA" he muttered something then walked off. tut hmm

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:49:52

I'm wishing we'd gone for this instead of the camera system we installed a few weeks ago! The cameras keep losing video and the app on our phones is next to useless - I should have taken notice of the reviews hmm

jusnoneed Sat 07-Sep-19 08:39:33

Do you have a police notice saying no cold callers? We put one up last year (only a small yellow sticker on door frame, by the bell) and it has stopped the window/driveway etc salesmen we were plagued with. I have heard them at neighbours, getting short shrift, then walking up our drive as far as the door and leaving without ringing or knocking on the door. It was free from our local police.

annsixty Sat 07-Sep-19 09:31:16

I do have a sticker, I have had it for a couple of years now and it is very effective.

quizqueen Sat 07-Sep-19 09:34:08

I have nothing in my house worth stealing!

bikergran Sat 07-Sep-19 21:46:28

I will have a look at the stickers, trouble is my glass in my door is frosted so would have to go on the outside of the door.

Still weighing up the Ring doorbell as it lets you speak to people.Will do some more research concerning the slow response from the bell.

If I buy one from Argos and it doesn't comply then I will be able to take it back.

Treebee Sat 07-Sep-19 22:14:53

We have the ring doorbell. Was handy when having a pub lunch while away we could speak to a deliverer of a parcel. We asked him to put it through the door when he doubted it would go through but it did. He didn’t seem at all put out by a doorbell speaking to him.

SirChenjin Sat 07-Sep-19 22:55:44

We have one - it’s great for directing deliveries to neighbours (they’ve agreed!) and for security purposes. Our area was recently targeted by thieves and the Ring doorbells allowed the police to track them. I love it - we’re very glad we’ve got one