Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving to Surrey front Essex

(17 Posts)
NanaPlenty Mon 09-Sep-19 16:50:23

So finally my hubby agrees that maybe we should downsize and move nearer to our daughter before we get too old to want to do it, thereby hopefully also freeing up a little money to do some travelling and also visit our kids that live abroad. Going slowly st this stage but as weve never changed counties before any guidance is appreciated. Our daughter lives in Ashtead, we are thinking to be Within 30 minutes of her - we’d like a nice area with green space near us, not too busy, some community feel but certainly looking local shops/things to do without going miles. Anyone out there is Surrey - please tell us where you live/what you know etc. Thank you in advance .

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:13:06

I live in Godalming Surrey which is 24 miles and a 33 minute drive from Ashstead.
It's a leafy green area and serves commuters well with very frequent trains to London Waterloo, the journey taking anything from 38 to 54 minutes depending on the time of day and stopping stations. Far fewer stops during commuter travel times.
This area has the highest concentration of 1st class season ticket holders as many work in the City's financial sector.

There are many independent shops as well as the usual High Street stores.
There are weekly and daily markets.
The river Wey, which offers horse-drawn narrowboat trips in season, runs right through the town and up to Guildford.
Catch the Gatwich Express from Guildford (about 4 miles away)
Plenty of doctor's surgeries, dentists and an award winning hospital, the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford, which was rated good or outstanding by the CCQ in 98% of the areas in it's latest inspection in mid 2018.
There are weekly and daily markets, excellent schools, a huge leisure centre at Stoke Park Guildford with an ice rink, Lido with Olympic size pool, Theatres galore and a multiplex cinema.
More restaurants, cafes and coffee shops than you can shake a stick at plus several garden centres, plenty of National Trust properties and cycle paths.

Guildford and nearby Farnham both have castles in the centre of town and many heritage sites.
Black Down is on the doorstep and the South Downs a very short drive away.
A vibrant social life is available and crime is low.
Winkworth Arboretum is in Godalming on the 46 bus route in town.
There are outdoor bowls and cricket played in whites on the greens in every village, Milford, Brook, Grayswood, Lurgashall ... and more .
WI, book and gardening clubs, U3A...I could go on...
If you'd like specific or indeed any further information about the wider area, just ask and I'll do my best to help.
Lurgashall winery is very local and many tastings are regularly offered in the villages.
Two photos are of the River Wey in town right by and running under Waitrose carpark behind me as I'm taking the picture. Sainsbury's and Homebase on the other side of the road.
Oh! There are also two large libraries and the council offices (and one library) are a 5 minute walk from the area where 2 photos were taken.
Cricket is being played on Lurgashall green in one photo and the inside of the White Horse pub is the other.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:21:20

Couldn't fit these photos on previous message.
The ones with expanses of scenery were taken on Blackdown.

Greenfinch Wed 11-Sep-19 20:27:41

If you want a bigger town then Camberley is quite pleasant and is about 28 miles from Ashtead. It is very near the boundary with Berkshire where I live.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:27:50

Godalming town centre and River Wey.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:36:08

Camberley has no heritage and no direct trains to London (2 trains and minimum 80 minutes)
Certainly not the views and community afforded by the Guildford/Waverley areas.

Greenfinch Wed 11-Sep-19 20:45:55

Why would you assume the OP needs direct trains to London?It was not one of her requirements.Do you really know so much about the community in Camberley Gabriella?

TerriBull Wed 11-Sep-19 21:03:38

Reigate is a very nice town close to Ashtead, and in the midst of Surrey Hills, attractive high street, lovely backdrop. Dorking is also close to Ashtead, similar Surrey Hills setting, but not as attractive as Reigate imo. You could also look at Banstead, close to Ashtead but more going for it shop wise than the former, it has a great Waitrose. The larger town of Epsom has gone downhill somewhat, I know I was brought up around that area and am not far from it now. Further down into Surrey, attractive towns are Godalming as described by Gabriella, also Haslemere and Farnham. Closer in to London and the M25. Cobham, Weybridge and Esher, fairly expensive though.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:56:29

Oh dear Greenfinch
Sorry if I upset you.
My remark about trains to London was because people often like to visit for the theatre, arts or to see family. It is, after all, our capital and was just another bit of info.
As for Camberley, my marital home is in Virginia Water, just straight down the road about 20 minute drive or less. I knew and know it well.

Grannyknot Wed 11-Sep-19 22:13:09

Dorking is lovely smile

Ailsa43 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:39:59

GabriellaG54, I envy you, living in beautiful Virginia water

Greenfinch Wed 11-Sep-19 22:40:23

I agree about Dorking Grannyknot.I am remembering those meetup lunches we used to enjoy there.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 00:52:00

Ailsa43
I don't actually live there ATM as it is a large family sized home, too big for one person since I'm now divorced, so it's let by me to a family of 4 and I rent a smaller property in Godalming. All good. smile

Grannyknot Thu 12-Sep-19 07:51:14

Hi, Greenfinch me too, that was when I first properly 'discovered' Dorking smile.

Greenfinch Thu 12-Sep-19 09:04:46

Me too Grannyknot and I enjoyed the train journey to Dorking West and the walk to Gerties through the shops.A pity Gertie's has closed as it was like an Aladdin's cave.

dragonfly46 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:11:46

I am guessing it is very expensive in Surrey. I would check prices and cut your cloth accordingly. Our DC live in Brighton and SE London so I envy you being able to move near your daughter.

NanaPlenty Sun 16-Feb-20 18:40:54

Wow thanks all you lovely people for your thoughts - isn’t Gransnet great for this sort of help and advice. Going to check out Reigate and Cobham as I haven’t been to either and have seen some good possibilities property wise. I’m both excited and nervous which I guess is normal as I’ve lived in Essex my entire life but I think it’s time for a change in this exciting stage of life?