Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint sprayers

(4 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:54:22

Can anybody recommend a paint sprayer? We have a garden shed and picket style fence surrounding our small vegetable patch to re-paint and as we are both now 76 we are finding the job daunting but it really needs to be done this Autumn. We have tried a pump action sprayer in the past to paint the garden fence but it was incredibly messy so we got rid of it and did the job by hand but that was a few years ago.

thisisnotme Tue 10-Sep-19 20:47:59

We bought a Work Expert one from Amazon. Got the smaller one (800ml container) which was a bit of a pain as we had to keep stopping to refill it. However it was only needed for a one off use and did the job really well - took a bit of practice to get the spray right.

The only thing I personally found difficult was the amount of vibration when holding it. I have arthritis and found it very uncomfortable to use.

Do you have somewhere locally that you could hire something to try and see how you get on with it?

Jane43 Sat 14-Sep-19 04:51:42

Thank you for the advice. Yes hiring one could be better than buying one.

Lukas Sun 22-Sep-19 16:06:08

I had some experience in the past with air sprayers and I found that the best sprayers are airless sprayers. They work without air and make the job less messy because less paint in the air. The problem is that they not cheap and if you only need it to do one job you better to buy cheap alternative air sprayer in B&Q. The cheapest airless sprayer cost around £200 from ebay. I ordered Graco from USA and payed £350 and very happy with it, painted whole house including the furniture.