Gransnet forums

House and home

How do you wash your raincoats?

(47 Posts)
notanan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:23:40

Got my raincoat out (hi Autumn) and it smells stale and leaves a stale smell on my clothes after I take it off.

Even if I cold/gentle wash raincoats they lose their waterproofing, and this coat is very waterproof even in heavy showers which is hard to find!

How can I de-pong it! I dont want ti spray it I dont like air freshners etc they give me headaches.

Thinking of giving it a gentle soak in the bath but scared to add detergent incase it washes off some of the waterproofing.

What do you all do when raincoats need a freshen up?

Thanks

cas58 Sat 14-Sep-19 02:42:46

How about Febreze for clothes?

notanan2 Fri 13-Sep-19 22:22:38

I'm curious as to why it smells, where have you been storing it? I'd get rid if it was me

Well it has been away in an dry cupboard over the summer and now it has that smell that non leather handbags develop when they get old. I dont want to smell like I've been camping if I havent

NotSpaghetti Fri 13-Sep-19 22:06:32

I think I've offended you - I'm sorry if that's the case notanan2, it was an honest question from someone whose family has always had genuinely rainproof outerwear. I don't consider showerproof jackets to be waterproof. I was simply wondering if was an unusual brand with an unusual technical fabric. In my experience even goretex is washable (haven't had a goretex3 so don't know about that).
Anyway. Wasn't trying to be provocative, so sorry.

Missiseff Thu 12-Sep-19 21:44:28

I'm curious as to why it smells, where have you been storing it? I'd get rid if it was me

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-Sep-19 19:21:12

I use something similar to wash and proof. I just put it in the washing machine, add the wash and proof stuff and away we go. I have done this a few times with great success. Any outdoor shop will sell it.

25Avalon Thu 12-Sep-19 18:34:15

Waitrose sell their own "waterproof clothing wash" which they say protects Gore-Tex and outdoor clothing.

notanan2 Thu 12-Sep-19 18:13:49

Umbrellas only keep your head dry! And don't work in wind.

My normal coat works fine in showers but this keeps me dry from going out in heavy rain. I like to walk a lot.

Its by Gilert. It says it can be washed at 30 but am nervous as so many coats end up soaking through for longer walks in heavier rain. I will look into the producta recommended.

It has been hanging on the line but still smells like a tent!

BlueBelle Thu 12-Sep-19 18:01:11

I ve never had a raincoat either paperback just use my ordinary coat and an umbrella Don’t think I ve ever had one once since school.when I had a gabardine navy blue one with a belt ???

HootyMcOwlface Thu 12-Sep-19 16:16:31

I have a Regatta jacket and it’s label says ‘do not wash’. It was getting really manky so I washed it in the washing machine and got a re waterproof spray (from Aldi I think) and sprayed it outside once it dried. No harm seems to have been done & it’s ok in the rain.

Paperbackwriter Thu 12-Sep-19 16:09:33

I don't have a raincoat either, BradfordLass72. If I really need to be out in the rain I use an umbrella. But as I don't have a dog to walk, I tend to stay in.

Cristianna Thu 12-Sep-19 14:59:31

Maybe just leave it out in the next rain and let Mother Nature do all the work?!

Rufus2 Thu 12-Sep-19 14:31:09

I don't own a raincoat, haven't for over 30 year
My 48 years beats your 30. grin

4allweknow Thu 12-Sep-19 14:30:13

Depends how old the coat is. The waterproof coating could be deterorating. Failing that waterproof with one of the recommended products.

moobox Thu 12-Sep-19 13:12:31

I do the nikwax web quiz from time to time. Each time they send a good sized product sample out www.nikwax.com/en-gb/webquiz/

Emelle Thu 12-Sep-19 12:48:19

I always used Nik Wax but then I saw Dri Pak Wash & Proof which works out a little cheaper and you only have to wash it once which I think is a bonus,

Notagranny44 Thu 12-Sep-19 12:29:30

Just use liquid soap to wash it. I got mine on Amazon but could be available locally in a less rural area. It's the DETERGENT that ruins the proofing

Shizam Thu 12-Sep-19 12:22:11

Nik Wax is excellent. Kept my jacket waterproof for 20 years. Washed it regularly as used it for riding and got dirty quickly. Never let me down even in heavy rain.

Shelagh6 Thu 12-Sep-19 11:41:24

Got a Four Seasons one and do wash it.

notanan2 Thu 12-Sep-19 11:25:27

Thanks all

What make is this coat? Surely plenty of us have *really waterproof coats and are washing them just fine.*
Well I must be unlucky then because I have had a lot of duds that are barely fit for purpose, and this one works well so I'm cautious with it.

I do go out rain or shine its not just from nipping to the car.

Its synthetic not waxed or sealed fabric.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Sep-19 11:20:37

Thanks for that cornergran didn’t realise this

SunnySusie Thu 12-Sep-19 11:12:10

Hi notanan, for Gortex raincoats I use Nikwax 'technical' cleaner first and then the Nikwax waterproof liquid, washing them first and then waterproofing as per instructions on the canisters. They are never quite as good, but good enough for normal rain. The only properly waterproof jacket I have is by Hunter (the people who make wellie boots). Its rubberised and I dont put it in the washing machine. Instead I sponge off any dirt straight away and hang it on the line to dry. I wear the coat with an inner thin jacket so it doesnt get sweaty and store it over the winter without any wrappers or coat bags and away from heat. I cycle regardless of the weather and nothing much except the Hunter rainmac will work if it is really pelting it down.

Janiepops Thu 12-Sep-19 11:03:19

Exactly what Merlotgran said! Done that often. Could also spray pillow spray onto tumble dryer sheets, whole house smells amazing too!!

NotSpaghetti Thu 12-Sep-19 10:51:45

What make is this coat? Surely plenty of us have *really* waterproof coats and are washing them just fine.

burnel Thu 12-Sep-19 10:49:22

You can buy waterproofing solution goes in washing machine look at any outdoor shops should find it. Nred dry in tumble dryer to set it. Or try hanging outside give it a nlow through might be enought to freshen it up

SpringyChicken Thu 12-Sep-19 08:09:44

Nik-wax is effective at reproofing coats. After washing the jacket clean, put the coat and nik-wax in the washing machine, following the instructions.