Gransnet forums

House and home

Estate agents.

(8 Posts)
driverann Wed 11-Sep-19 12:54:03

We had an estate agent come to value our house to put it up for sale. Having looked over the house he said “you will have no problem selling this house for £255,000” he went on “ you are in a very much sort after area, it will go within weeks”
We thought that’s good. The next day after his visit his assistant telephoned to tell us they had three people who wanted to view our home. We had already given the estate agent the door key so they would show potential buyers around. We agreed a day and time for us to be out of the house when they (agents) would be showing people around. We never heard anything so after two days I telephoned the agents to find out if there was any feedback. I was told “Oh sorry yes all three people cancelled the viewing”. When I said I wonder why the agent said “the price is too high”. It was THEY the agents who told us the price it would sell at. I asked what price did they now think it should be? The man said “let us reduce it to £215/20 and it will go in days. I said if we reduce
To £100 I expect it would go in second,s. We are now thinking of not bothering and take it off the market. The agent seems to have over priced the property to get the sale then made up lies about people wanting it. We have also had unsolicited phone calls from “we buy any house .com”Has anyone else has this happen to them buy estate agents.

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 12:56:28

I'd be checking out other EAs in the area. This one sounds very inefficient, to say the least.

newnanny Wed 11-Sep-19 13:00:53

Why don't you remove it from market now for a month and get three different estate agents in to value your home. That will give you a better idea of its true value. Another thing you can do is look on soldhouseprices for homes sold in your postcode. You may find some almost the same as your home have sold recently. Remember to advertise for about £5k more than you want to get for home as most home buyers expect to knock you down on price so they can think they have got a bargain.

Ellianne Wed 11-Sep-19 15:20:51

That's crazy. You can't reduce it that soon after marketing it, you need to wait until at least a couple if potential buyers have seen it and made an informed decision.
I also would change agents and find someone who puts it on at the price he would expect someone to pay.
We had half a dozen viewers on an open day, and 2 offers at the full asking price. The agent priced it just right and was confident it would sell. He was also worth his weight in gold later on keeping everyone in the chain calm, so if yours is a bit inefficient now he is likely to mess you about further down the line.

Septimia Wed 11-Sep-19 15:29:29

We had a similar experience selling my FiL's house after he died. To be honest, we thought the estate agent's suggested price was rather high but assumed that he knew what he was talking about.

We did get some viewings but the offers were much lower than he'd indicated we'd get. It was sold in the end for quite a bit less than he'd said.

Fortunately it didn't matter too much as anything we got for it was a bonus. Not helpful, though, when selling your own home and wanting a decent amount to buy another.

Beckett Wed 11-Sep-19 15:48:31

Having quite a lot of experience with agents I know this is a tactic many of them use. I now tell them at the outset I want a realistic valuation and if they come back after a few weeks suggesting a lower asking price "will generate interest" that I will give the property to a different agent.

I advise getting valuations from several agents, check how much other properties in the area have sold for and then make an informed decision yourself as to how much you think the property is worth.

Drive or walk around the area and look at any for sale boards, how long have they been up, which agents seem to be selling quickest.

M0nica Wed 11-Sep-19 15:51:47

Yes, we had that problem with an Estate Agent, we suggested a price, they suggested one higher, we queried it, but they assured us it would sell at the higher price.

Six weeks later with no viewings, they told us that we had overpriced the house and needed to reduce it. We went to another agent and within weeks they sold it for just under the price we had suggested in the first place.

I think nowadays when the housing market is so sluggish, agents will promise the earth just to get you on their books and not a competitors, hoping once you are with them, you will stay, even though you have to reduce the price. I think also some agents try to get buyers in by advertising that the price of a house has just been reduced, to give the impression that it is a real bargain.

GagaJo Wed 11-Sep-19 20:11:16

Ooooo yes. BUT not selling, letting. When I went to work overseas, SEVERAL agents swore they could rent out my house in an instant. I appointed two, two months before my departure. Nothing. No appointments/bookings. Those that I DID get, cancelled.

Finally, I advertised my house on Gumtree and found myself a tenant.

Same thing with my rental property. Keep the the rent low and it'll go overnight was the Estate Agent cry! Two months later, nothing. Advertised it myself on Facebook. Now have a lovely tenant.

Bonus of DIY letting was getting the whole rent with no fees.