Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving

(5 Posts)
Hamalasyno Thu 12-Sep-19 14:57:19

We have been married for 53 years, 3 married children, 5 grandchildren. We are in the process of selling our 10th home (we lived in 4 different apartments in our early years before buying). Our family and friends now know when we say «guess what?». The answer is , «you’re moving». We are approaching our mid-‘70’s, in fairly good health (except for my back problem). We have always had good reasons to move, e.g. upsizing, because we were adding grandkids to the family; downsizing because they were getting older; moving to a lake house because we always dreamed of that; moving to a condo because it seemed easier. Those are just a few reasons. So this condo we’re in is detached, definitely large enough, but this area is boring, there is no back yard, and besides, I want a pool for exercize. We are considering buying a larger house that will hold all our prized possessions, and has a pool. Hubby is fine with taking care of the property (has a tractor), and I have a cleaning lady, so that takes care of that. One big issue for me is I need tons of room for my sewing. Hubby says I need an Arena! And he has many, many tools that he’s not ready to let go of. So are we crazy? Would love to hear from anyone our age who still lives in a big house, and has no immediate plans to leave.

HettyMaud Thu 12-Sep-19 22:07:26

You're not crazy. I love moving. Waking up somewhere new is exciting. I have lived in small and large places and as soon as I am somewhere I start to think about the next move. I think moving can you make you feel alive. You're either a "mover" or you're not. Lots of people I know love their homes as they represent memories but I don't feel like that. I love fresh starts.

Franbern Fri 13-Sep-19 10:10:16

Obviously, whichever country you live in, the whole selling and buying process is far less stressful than it is in England. Good luck to you if that is what you both want.

Hamalasyno Tue 17-Sep-19 12:24:25

Thank you both for your replies. Your thoughts are more than appreciated. We found the perfect house, and how surprised were the kids and grandkids to find out that this new house is right next door to one of our previous houses, which was one of everyone’s favorites. All is good once again!

Grammaretto Tue 17-Sep-19 12:49:09

I think our country could learn something from yours. Moving house is a big deal here.
I live in a big house but have been here so long - 40 years - that I am afraid of moving.
I worry about getting less mobile, poorer and have thought of converting it into flats with mine on the level.
Its still just a dream though. I like the area very much.
We are very close to the town centre yet tucked away from noise and a 10 minute walk to counryside, fields, hills and walkways. I have many friends here too.
I can't begin to know where to look for something in such a good location. There are smaller houses but I think I would miss this one.
Good luck with your move. My inlaws downsized in their 80s and they intend to stay put now that they are 94. They have a downstairs loo and a stairlift.