Gransnet forums

House and home

Home

(27 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:09:13

Trying to find some where to live as I’m currently living with my daughter and need some where with people around as it’s lonely during the day, but finding it hard been looking at retirement places but cost a fortune, don’t need any special needs but have had 3 strokes and copd anxiety, any advice welcome.

Gonegirl Sun 15-Sep-19 10:37:19

I am so sorry! I maligned the Men's sheds website. I wasn't reading it properly.

There is actually one in our region that I can send my husband to that my husband might be interested in.

Sorry.

kittylester Sun 15-Sep-19 08:27:54

Mens Sheds are brilliant, as Monicasaid.

jocork Sun 15-Sep-19 08:09:33

My mother lived in an Abbeyfield home and it was very reasonable. We got more rent for her house than it cost for her to live there with most of her meals. She had good company and having a warden I could contact if she failed to answer her phone was a great weight off my mind as I lived 200 miles away. I wish she'd agreed to move there sooner - it would have saved a lot of worry and hospital admissions.

Dottynan Sun 15-Sep-19 08:09:08

Gonegirl. Just found a mens shed for my husband to visit. Baffled why you think the web site if useless

HettyMaud Sat 14-Sep-19 18:48:21

Davida1968 is right. Abbeyfield is brilliant.

Davida1968 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:09:46

I should perhaps have mentioned that at the Abbeyfield supported housing, my DM paid a monthly rent (which I mistakenly called a monthly fee in my previous post.) This included all bills (other than her own phone) and two good meals daily. I think that some of the newer Abbeyfield complexes may offer the choice of renting or buying flats.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Sep-19 16:59:56

You seem happy living with your daughter you just need daytime company so why move out.? You made it clear you wanted company and we know you don't want to'' join'' anything as one comment pointed out so I suggest D helps you to contact Age Concern, no strings attached ,who can advise you on what is available for your needs.

Tricia5 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:55:03

University of the 3rd Age is great! Ours has all sorts of activities to Join and groups go on holidays. You make lots of friends and keep the brain active!

Paperbackwriter Sat 14-Sep-19 16:15:21

Be careful when buying somewhere that's advertised as 'retirement'. My mother-in-law had a Beechcroft apartment for many years (she died 2 years ago) which she loved but the 'warden' aspect of it was very hit and miss. Also, there in the small print is the fact that when you sell it, you have to pay a percentage to Beechcroft in addition to what you pay a regular estate agent. Lord knows why, as they didn't do anything at all to assist the sale.

Hymnbook Sat 14-Sep-19 14:26:21

Something else important the social aspect of living alone. If you are living in a complex there are activities organized as well other people around for a chat and a cuppa.

Hymnbook Sat 14-Sep-19 14:22:28

Difficult decision. I am currently bidding for different council accommodation. Thinking about a brand new complex in the city nearer to my family. Rent £160 per week. Looked at flats ground floor; bungalows. These properties all smaller than the flat l'm in at the moment. I have a large kitchen and living room plenty of storage. Near amenities etc. The problem l have with my current home is that it is accessed by a flight of steep concrete steps not good after breaking my ankle last year. Also l have no one to help me move and a lot of these flats etc need a lot of work doing to them another added cost. Really not sure what to do.

Megs36 Sat 14-Sep-19 13:30:07

MOnica , the way I read this post is that the poster wants somewhere to live not somewhere to 'join'.

EmilyHarburn Sat 14-Sep-19 11:04:44

Mickyboy67 If your relationship with your daughter is good do not move. Once your go into a home you are subject to a routine of 3 meals a day and the tea trolly passing in between. Unless it is expensive there are no additional activities and you will soon go down hill. As you grow older, it gets more difficult to organise ourselves as the frontal lobes of our brains which are the executive get a diminished blood supply ans so start to falter.

I think you need to set up a good social routine for yourself taking up some of the activities that have been suggested. There might be a cricket club, a social conservative or labour club or a nice pub down your road. Go once a week for you lunch. These places generally have news papers and if you ask the staff they will know which day people you might like to meet come.

You can get out to the University of the Third Age activities if they are near you. Age UK will sen you a volunteer to befriend you and help you sort out a social lief as I am sure your daughter will. What about making the most of your computer. Have you got all your family on Skype or some such communication platform. do you contact them regularly and keep up with their activities?

I think the first step is to make a social life based on what you have already got. All the very best.

Davida1968 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:43:39

Have you thought about the Abbeyfield? They are a registered charity and they offer a range of care homes and also supported housing homes.
www.abbeyfield.com/our-services/supported-housing/
My DM lived in Abbeyfield "supported housing" for ten years: it was an excellent environment without being a "care" home. She had her own furniture in her own large "bed-sit" room, with small kitchenette and toilet/shower room. She paid a monthly fee, which included all utility bills, council tax, and most meals. (She just got her own breakfast, and paid for her own phone.). There was a warden and other people there, and she could mix as much or as little as she wanted to. There was a lovely dining room and a residents' lounge with little kitchen. Activities and outings were on offer. I think you have to be over 55 to live there. (On the web link, at the bottom of the page, is a "checker" for finding your nearest of these homes.) Because they are a charity, it's non-profit making and all monies are ploughed back into the homes. Worth considering?

rizlett Sat 14-Sep-19 10:25:22

Have a look at local supported housing micky as you may qualify for this though there may be a wait to find something.

Most housing associations have a group website where - once registered - you can bid on properties each week - your health conditions are likely to move you up the list.

lucky77 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:18:45

Try looking at almshouses usually run by charities, my friend has just moved to one and it is lovely. This website gives information on where they are in the country.
www.almshouses.org/

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 18:15:42

There are over 400 in all Gonegirl and more in the planning. I live in a rural area and there are two within 10 miles, one in the local town and the other in a very rural village on the downs. I think you are unfortunate to have none near you.

The OP said need some where with people around as it’s lonely during the day, but finding it hard been looking at retirement places but cost a fortune. I understood that he was looking at retirement places as a solution to day time loneliness (sub text: retirement housing comes with built in social systems), hence my suggestion of Men's Sheds.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 17:00:23

Well, we obviously haven't got one near us Monica. Because nothing came up. I wonder how many of them there actually are?

And yes, I do know what they are.

And Mickyboy did say "Trying to find some where to live"

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 15:48:43

Gonegirl I assume that is a joke - or you do not know what the Men's Shed organisation is. This Op is looking for ways of getting out during the day and meeting other people.

What is more I found the site worked very well. You can enter your post code and it will direct you to your nearest Men's shed and give contact details. What more could the OP want.

MiniMoon Fri 13-Sep-19 15:36:52

I was just about to say that gonegirl. Either the local council or a housing charity in your area. There's probably a waiting list for both of these options. I would look into it and put my name down if I were you MickeyBoy.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 15:27:48

Perhaps try your local council? They might have some sheltered housing flats available at a more reasonable rate than the private sector.

Jane10 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:17:00

Sounds like he's just lonely. Men's Sheds sound like a very friendly organisation. Practical too. Certainly worth a look.

Gonegirl Fri 13-Sep-19 15:13:58

He can't live in a shed Monica.

And that website is useless.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Sep-19 14:46:00

Is there any kind of supported living complex near you?

Your council will have details, and I'm sure you would be a candidate, given your health issues.

Then you can have as little or much company as you want to.

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 14:31:47

Is there a local Man's Shed menssheds.org.uk/? This site will tell you whether there is one near you. Also contact your local Age Concern, they almost always do everything from run coffee mornings or lunch clubs, to organise exercise sessions for those who have all kinds of health limits.

Look on the notice boards at you GP's surgery, they often have details of local organisations.

If you have a special interest - bowls for example, just google' bowls town name' and that will produce a list of local organisations where you can play bowls, or whatever your interest is.