Gransnet forums

House and home

That paneling stuff for bathrooms.........

(22 Posts)
phoenix Sun 15-Sep-19 19:04:01

Hello all, and good wishes.

As you may have seen on previous threads, we are planning a bit of a bathroom refurb, budget allowing. (Trying to get a quote out of a plumber is like trying to deliver a breech positioned lamb, actually , cancel that, at least the ewe is sort of prepared to meet you half way)

Any way, my neighbour, who is also looking into the bathroom revamp thing, has said that she had looked into paneling, and it doesn't age well, and to quote her "looks naff after a couple of years"

This should be our last (actually first!) refurb of the bathroom, and would appreciate input!

We are looking at "Multipanel" boards, in the Classic range.

Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:08:19

Be interested to read this as we are doing ours out next year, and have been eyeing panels. Maybe it depends how much you pay?

Tweedle24 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:11:08

I have panels in the main bathroom and they have been there about five years. They are easier to keep clean than tiles and do not seem to be ageing. They are used a lot in hotels where they work a lot harder than in a normal domestic environment so, I think they are probably OK.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Sep-19 19:13:11

Do you mean panelling as in wooden tongue and groove panelling around the walls Phoenix? Or do you mean the panels that are in the shower area instead of tiles?

I've had the wooden tongue and groove panelling on the lower part of the walls, and bath side panel, and it worked brilliantly for the 12 years I lived in the house.
My friend has had the panelling in the shower area, instead of tiles, and she said that she not very impressed with it. But I think that's because the chap who fitted it made a dog's breakfast of it!

phoenix Sun 15-Sep-19 19:15:40

Thank you Tweedle24 much appreciated!

I think my neighbour may be wrong. In my previous life I spent quite a few nights in hotels, the majority of which had paneling, and must say I never saw a naff one.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Sep-19 19:27:29

We had our shower revamped about two years ago and panelling was used on the walls. It looks terrific, is much easier to clean than tiles (and best of all, no grout!) I agree it is important to get someone who knows what they're doing to install it. Ours is in a neutral colour, it won't be looking naff any time soon.

Harris27 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:37:53

We’ve got it and also done sons bathroom with it it’s been on a while now and still looks good would recommend it.

Ohmother Sun 15-Sep-19 19:47:48

We’re about to begin our bathroom refurb tomorrow and will be using the panels all round. A different colour for the shower area. They seem quite thick and sturdy and may help to soundproof the bathroom from the bedroom next door.

Pantglas1 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:55:10

Panelling is usually plastic which is not as durable as ceramic tiles but if you’re happy to change in ten years time not a problem. I deliberately chose neutral tiles with multicoloured trim so that I could change towels etc every few years when I got bored.

NanaandGrampy Sun 15-Sep-19 20:00:30

We had our bathroom totally refitted under a year ago and we talked to our bathroom fitter about panels but he said that unless your walls were perfectly flush and square they are a nightmare to fit ( and if we wanted to go that route he wouldn’t be prepared to fit them) .

So we went for tiles as usual and were thrilled with the outcome , they’ll certainly outlast us ?

Davidhs Sun 15-Sep-19 20:20:48

We had panels in our shower room and I can confirm they are a pig to fit and seal properly in most rooms, they look good after 5 yrs, but it will be tiles next time.
Hotels are different they have several identical bathrooms and the panels can be pre cut precisely which makes it easier.

grannylyn65 Sun 15-Sep-19 20:27:22

You’re supposed to clean them ? ?

merlotgran Sun 15-Sep-19 20:42:30

We have panels in our shower cubicle. Much quicker to fit than tiles and easy to clean. I just spray the shower clean stuff on it and sluice it off using the shower. No streaks or marks.

No more grouting to clean.....ever!

Ohmother Mon 16-Sep-19 22:33:29

Phew! Scary moments of reading there but thanks to all who are positive about them.

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 22:36:44

Yes, we have panelling on one of the showers and it looks good, is easy to wipe down and clean.

SueDonim Tue 17-Sep-19 02:22:59

We have panelling in our ensuite. It looks as fresh as the day it was installed, two and a half years ago. I think that tiles can look dated quite quickly depending in whether the latest trend is for small/large/patterned/plain/contoured etc.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Sep-19 02:37:55

Well I think I can give the lie to panels not having longevity as we fitted our en-suite and bathroom with Norwegian panels 20 years ago and they still look brand new. We have also never had a problem with leaks, nor with fitting the panels into our wonky Edwardian house. Our tiled en-suite however, now needs re-grouting for possibly the 3rd or 4th time!

Persistentdonor Tue 17-Sep-19 09:40:03

In general I am pleased with our panels after 2 years, though there is a little bit of a "blowing" problem at the bottom, outside on one side. Obviously not watertight somehow, and extra mastic hasn't solved the problem.

The men took off the old tiles and then put up the panels, which don't go all the way round the room, so there is a gap at one edge and I feel the steam has to be creating mould behind there.

Willow500 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:23:20

After years of the en-suite shower leaking down the wall into the light switch in the downstairs toilet shock we finally had the shower tray replaced a few years ago and the whole area done with panelling. It's brilliant and still looks great. We were so impressed we did the two bathrooms in our holiday home with it. Easy to clean - I wipe it down with a squeegee after each use as well as the screen.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:32:49

I thought, from the title, that you meant the tongued and grove cancelling for the none wet walls. I wonder if that is what you neighbour thought you meant. I'm I interested to learn about both - and anything else to do with bathrooms so thank you for the thread.

Royalwilson Tue 24-Sep-19 17:24:52

Bath Panels such as the Premier York white ash wood grain showers bath front panel, MDF is an exciting model from the collection of bath panels from premier. This bath panel will co-ordinate with bath within the collection creating a modern look in your bathroom. Guaranteed for 5 year by manufacturer for total peace of mind, you can be assured that you are receiving an item of the highest quality. Do not hesitate to invest in the bath side panel!

therexjohn Fri 01-Nov-19 13:29:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.