Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving soon

(9 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Sat 12-Oct-19 11:27:52

Found a apartment to rent, now the fun starts, buying furniture bed kitchen stuff, towels etc, not one offer of help from family, so it’s gonna be fun as I’m recovering from 3 strokes can get about slowly, but they seem to think I’m coping, family who needs them be glad to get my own space, have entry phone with video so can see who’s coming and ignore them, when they need something mainly money or a favour f the lot of them, or a crash pad for the night as it’s 5 min walk to heart of city and pubs clubs.

Daisymae Sat 12-Oct-19 11:52:56

If you need some help, then ask. It will make your life a lot easier. They probably just haven't given it much thought.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:05:47

Why not write a list of what really needs doing, the urgent stuff. Then ask for assistance (don't wait for offers of help - they are not mind readers).

Often, people just move and settle in first, (quite exhausting enough) maybe taking some familiar old furniture. Later, they can upgrade to what they really want, at leisure Living for a time in a new place can really help you choose much more wisely.

It sounds like you are being too ambitious and impatient. Your health should always be your top priority. Please don't try to do it all at once.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:11:51

The trouble is Micky if people think that you're coping all right they don't offer to help. Being independent is great but in my experience you have to ask - "Could you just give me a hand with . . . ?" They will probably not mind lending a hand if you can time it right. Best of luck and I hope you settle in soon.

DoraMarr Sat 12-Oct-19 12:15:50

You sound very worried, and I wonder if that is what is making you think “family, who needs them.” Perhaps they would be pleased to help if you asked them, or perhaps there is a pattern of you feeling you are being taken for granted. You only need a bed, a kettle and some plates and mugs when you first move in. You can add all the rest gradually as you feel stronger. Most things can be bought online and delivered, but if you are buying furniture check that the company will deliver and place the furniture where you want it, and take away all packaging. Marks and Spencer do, for instance. I hope you are happy in your new home.

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Oct-19 12:23:06

I’m not familiar with your life or your financial situation but do you have nothing you can take with you?

Anyone with nothing and scant resources might try calling the YMCA in their area as in my area they provide all the basics, second hand for a fixed (very modest) fee.

As other posters have said, whatever your finances, please don’t feel so down about it, ask your family and friends for assistance - they probably will be happy to help if they know what to do. So prioritise needs and discuss them with them. Whatever else you do, don’t try to do everything at once.

Good luck - wishing you happiness in your new home.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:35:46

Not everyone has relatives living in the area. Try phoning your local council to find out what help is available. Here, there's a local handyman service.

They will move and assemble heavy furniture and clean the kitchen wall cupboards etc. - all the things I shouldn't do with my back injury. We do have to pay, but very reasonable rates.

glammanana Sat 12-Oct-19 12:52:19

Micky Are you moving into a Housing Association apartment or privatly rented ?
If HA property they will assist you if a Private rental AgeUK have a number of volunteers who will help you willingly,don't be affraid to ask its what they do.
If you have managed up to now on your own how are your family expected to know when you are having difficulties give them the benefit of the doubt and call them and ask for help.
Another good place to call is British Heart Foundation they furnish houses from top to bottom with excellent quality goods and so so reasonable,all electrical goods are tested by them.Good luck with your move I hope you will be happy.

Franbern Sat 26-Oct-19 19:20:14

I have coped with all the stress over the past months of selling my house and purchasing a smaller flat some 150 miles away. Nothing anyone could actually have done to assist during that. But, when I knew I was getting towards the actual moving date I just asked my son (who lives nearly 200 miles away) if he could take a couple of days of work to come to me to assist those final couple of days. As long as I was able to give him enough notice for him to arrange the leave from work, he was more than happy - but he would not have thought it himself or assumed it. I just needed to ask. Our families are not mind-readers, if you need their assistance do ask them.