Gransnet forums

House and home

I Think I Need a Mattress Topper

(15 Posts)
boho43 Sat 19-Oct-19 20:38:16

Can anyone tell me from experience what to look for & the pros & cons please.

I don't want one that makes me hot & sweaty!

Looking forward to your replies Grans, thank you.

kittylester Sat 19-Oct-19 20:47:25

We just bought a feather and down one recently. I love it but it is a bot alarm.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 19-Oct-19 20:49:29

?wakes you up from the bottom up, love one of those

kittylester Sat 19-Oct-19 20:55:32

Sorry- bit warm! Phone got above itself!

LondonGranny Sat 19-Oct-19 21:05:12

There are newer memory foam toppers that aren't too hot, apparently. I do think that you need a good mattress to begin with. I think it's worth spending the extra. I confess I have an Ikea mattress topper in the guest room but only because it's not a great mattress underneath and it's not used that often. Good thick cotton sheets are worth getting though. Polycotton aren't as cool and thank God for the demise of Brentford Nylons. Worst sheets in the history of the UK.

boho43 Sat 19-Oct-19 21:15:14

LondonGranny,

Thank you, our mattress is a bit old I suppose but still firm which we like, but we can feel a few ‘ lumpy ‘ bits! Thought a topper might be the answer.

I had forgotten Brentford Nylons - weren’t they awful!! I knew someone who literally ‘ slipped ‘ out of the bed due to the slippery nylon sheet!

Hetty58 Sat 19-Oct-19 21:16:54

I'm looking for a good one too. We seem to lose our own 'padding' as we age!

LondonGranny Sat 19-Oct-19 21:19:20

I can see why my mum loved Brentford Nylons though. Easy to wash and drip-dry in the days before tumble dryers. She had to wash so many sheets every week. Horrific to sleep on but to be fair to her, I never washed my own sheets until I left home.

Elegran Sat 19-Oct-19 21:24:04

Before spending money on a mattress topper, see whether using a spare duvet under your bottom sheet makes enough of a difference. I was considering buying a topper, but when I was sorting out some duvets that were not used any more, I had a lightbulb moment. I usually put a blanket between mattress and undersheet, but the next time I changed the sheets I used a single duvet instead - it was big enough to go edge to edge on my 4ft 6ins bed. Result - very cosy and comfortable, and it evens out some slightly lumpy bits. Best of all, it cost nothing.

LondonGranny Sat 19-Oct-19 22:00:31

Elegran
Genius!

boho43 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:20:30

Elegant

What a brilliant idea, l will give it a go.

Willow500 Sun 20-Oct-19 07:48:12

I just bought 2 online for bunk beds as our grandsons are coming for Christmas. The mattresses are ok for kids but as I know my son will end up in one of the beds at some point grin I thought he should at least be comfortable. They do seem to have made a difference. The spare duvets is a good idea but I didn't have any single ones.

Elegran Sun 20-Oct-19 08:28:33

When we had the touring caravan, I got fed-up trying to make up the double bed every night without being able to walk round the other side to tuck in the undersheet, and I hate sleeping bags. So I used to use one duvet under us, and one over - the bed was made in seconds. The van was long gone, but that triggered the light-bulb moment.

Liz46 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:30:45

I agree the duvet is a good idea but we bought a wool filled mattress topper because I didn't want anything that could encourage hot flushes.

shysal Sun 20-Oct-19 11:23:02

I suffer from night sweats so needed a topper which is cool. I love my Octaspring. It is made from memory foam formed into spring shapes. They are not cheap but I can thoroughly recommend one. I have the zoned version. The free pillow was even more welcome, I would never use any other type now, no more sore ears or stiff neck!
Octaspring toppers