Gransnet forums

House and home

Chalk Paint

(11 Posts)
hillwalker70 Fri 25-Oct-19 09:20:02

I am painting a large pine dresser with Rustoleum chalk paint, it says no rubbing down required. However, after third coat the finish is dreadful, I think I should have sanded, under coated and then normal eggshell finish paint. I am now thinking of sanding whole thing back and putting on a coat with eggshell finish. I did base coat of shellac so no bleed through, just a rough finish. Any advice please.

tanith Fri 25-Oct-19 09:43:31

Aren’t you supposed to have a rough finish with chalk paints? Also use some wax after the paint to seal it?

FlexibleFriend Fri 25-Oct-19 09:51:02

I don't like the finish of chalk paint so wouldn't use it.

hillwalker70 Fri 25-Oct-19 09:55:33

I wish I handn’t now, I like the dull flat finish but not the roughness and paint brush marks. Yes, there is wax to protect it but loath to use this as would be impossible to paint over.

MissAdventure Fri 25-Oct-19 09:57:39

Do you think a really fine grade of sandpaper would take too much paint off?

It might be worth trying, if you really don't like the finish, to see if it would smooth down a bit.

SpringyChicken Fri 25-Oct-19 10:14:37

On advice from the stockist, we watered down our paint. It’s too gloopy otherwise. Looking at a randomly selected site online, it says to rub over with fine sandpaper after the final coat has dried, then wax.

hillwalker70 Fri 25-Oct-19 10:41:12

Thanks S.C. that sounds like a plan. I thought this was going to be a quick makeover, we live and learn.

annsixty Fri 25-Oct-19 11:15:59

I once asked a decorator what he knew about using chalk paint.
He said he knew enough not to use it.

Labaik Fri 25-Oct-19 11:29:15

If you sand it you probably need to wax it first to reduce the dust [not if you're planning to eggshell it, though]. Then I'd get some Annie Sloan chalk paint. I do use Rustoleum but Annie Sloan is still the best and easiest to use.

Labaik Fri 25-Oct-19 11:31:05

Can you paint each section flat?

craftyone Fri 25-Oct-19 19:05:59

Fine wire wool in the direction of the grain