Gransnet forums

House and home

Carpet pong blues!

(12 Posts)
Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 19:43:52

This happened in a house we bought years ago.
After shampooing, the carpets smelt of damp dog or urine.

We had to rip them out and replace, sorry.

Missfoodlove Wed 13-Nov-19 19:12:04

I had a similar problem years ago.
The cat spray had impregnated the underlay and floorboards.
It took an industrial cleaner and new carpets.

jeanie99 Wed 13-Nov-19 17:43:47

Years ago when we moved there was a urine smell in the downstairs toilet.
I took up the lino and found the floor boards were wet and very smelly.
Gave the floor a good scrub with bleach let it dry for some days and the smell went.
No problem after that.

crazyH Thu 07-Nov-19 23:12:44

You don't have to spend a fortune for a new carpet. They are reasonable to buy. However,I've just changed from carpet to laminate in 2 rooms..Easy to clean and no stale smell .

Greenfinch Thu 07-Nov-19 23:00:07

If it is cat wee it will be almost impossible to get rid of and new carpets are the only solutions.

cornergran Thu 07-Nov-19 22:48:23

Could the underlay have got wet supernannyjane? If so it does smell and could just take time to dry out. I agree, bicarb is helpful. Sprinkle it on and/or leave some in shallow containers around the room. I also understand dilute white vinegar used in the carpet washer can help. If you’ve access to a dehumidifier I think I’d put that in the room and see how much water it removes, the smell may go with it. Don’t despair, it may just need time,

FlexibleFriend Thu 07-Nov-19 22:40:42

Use some odour eliminator in with the shampoo. You can buy a 5 ltr bottle for about 15 quid on amazon.

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-19 22:25:21

Do the Shake and Vac?

Mapleleaf Thu 07-Nov-19 22:16:29

I'm inclined to agree with aggie. A new carpet might be the answer. I think that's what I'd save up for.

phoenix Thu 07-Nov-19 22:14:11

Oh, bit of a tough one!

Possibly get a professional firm in? Realise it might not be cheap, but perhaps get them to come and take a look (and a sniff) before actually commissioning the work?

aggie Thu 07-Nov-19 22:13:02

Have you let it dry completely ? You could try bicab sprinkled on and left as long as possible then vacuumed , but it sounds as if it is beyond help

supernannyjane Thu 07-Nov-19 21:57:36

Help - I think I've unleashed a monster! My daughter has recently moved house and the previous owners (with two young children and two cats) left the carpets. My daughter asked me to clean the grubby front room carpet so I appeared with my Vax machine and set to work. Now the room has a horrible cloying pong and it would appear that I have inadvertently released what I can only describe as a stale (cat/human?) urine smell. Even shampooing the carpet a second time has failed to get rid of the pong. Any idea how to tackle this?