Gransnet forums

House and home

Gas Oven

(16 Posts)
lindiann Tue 19-Nov-19 15:18:38

Can anyone recommend a Gas Cooker? need to buy a new one as Hotpoint can't get the part. Thry only told me today after a month without cooker GRR!!!

FlexibleFriend Tue 19-Nov-19 15:36:52

I have a built in Stoves double oven it's my second one and would always be my first choice.

lindiann Tue 19-Nov-19 15:58:02

FlexibleFriend Yes Stoves is on my list they look lovely
smile

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 16:05:56

lindiann as gas is being phased out over the next decade because of its environmental affects and from 2025 no new house will have gas, would this be the time to move over to an electric cooker?

I bought a new gas cooker about three years ago but I am seriously considering when we have the kitchen extended and refitted in about a year's time whether to replace it with an electric cooker.

welbeck Tue 19-Nov-19 16:15:00

what about gas boilers, surely they will take longer to phase out.
anyone know?
who remembers when he smokeless zone came in to outer London/Middlesex, no more coal fires, so we froze, then somehow survived being given sick headaches by dodgy gas fires... I preferred to freeze, if I could get out before I dropped off.
I also demolished a shed roof by falling through it aged 12, should have known better, I knew asbestos wouldn't bear weight...
I do wonder about pleural plaques now occasionally, but what's done is done.
wish I had those people back now

lindiann Tue 19-Nov-19 16:56:49

Well Monica being I am not considering buying a New House that's no problem. Will they suddenly cut off the Gas supply from my old house?

Farmor15 Tue 19-Nov-19 17:09:34

I've just ordered a new one, as hob on old one (had it over 15 years) has always been useless and I couldn't face another Christmas with a crowd with it. New one is to be installed on Saturday, so I'll be able to give some feedback after that!

I know gas will be phased out and had considered electric, but we live in a rural area, use bottled gas and are subject to power cuts - one was at Christmas some years ago but we were able to cook. We also don't have the special cooker connection which would need some major rewiring, and despite repeated attempts to get an electrician to do it, he didn't come!

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 17:37:19

Depends on how often you keep a cooker. You could find in 15-20 years you have gas pipes but no gas. I had my last cooker for 20 years and if I could have got new parts I would have kept it longer I liked it so much

It was just a suggestion. I have been wedded to gas all my life, but do feel now that with climate change and all the plans to go carbon neutral that perhaps I should be considering learning to cook on an electric cooker and making the transfer.

As I said, it was just a suggestion.

lindiann Tue 19-Nov-19 17:49:33

Farmor15 Hi what ccoker are you getting?

Farmor15 Tue 19-Nov-19 18:09:43

It's a Leisure CLA60GAC. There's not a big choice now of all gas, 60 cm. I'd hoped to get one with gas hob and electric oven, but the problem with my electric connection meant I'm stuck with all gas.

lindiann Tue 19-Nov-19 18:46:37

Another one on my list that I looked at smile

Jangran99 Tue 19-Nov-19 19:06:48

Stoves every time. I have their double oven, it is 15 years old and still great. The one before was also Stoves and was 11 years old before we moved house and bought new again. I also have an induction hob by Stoves, so a perfect combination.

Farmor15 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:33:33

New gas cooker was installed yesterday and I cooked Sunday lunch on it today, so it had a good test. It’s pretty similar to old one (Parkinson Cowan). Burners on hob are much better than old one and oven seems fine. I was relieved to find it will still work ( lit with match) if no power as some gas cookers won’t work if no electricity ?.

John988 Thu 02-Jan-20 13:02:55

Check this review jonsguide.org/best-top-samsung-stove-reviews/

FrankGibson Mon 27-Jul-20 10:59:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB Mon 27-Jul-20 11:02:10

Reported <sigh>