Gransnet forums

House and home

Toastie makers

(24 Posts)
Fennel Wed 27-Nov-19 20:57:16

My favourite supper is a cheese and tomato toastie. But how to clean the machine afterwards?
Some of the contents always ooze out and get burnt on.
I spent about 10 minutes last night cleaning it, now, after use, it's just as bad.
Any advice?

rosenoir Wed 27-Nov-19 21:16:56

I use toasting bags.

rosenoir Wed 27-Nov-19 21:19:10

These

Fennel Wed 27-Nov-19 21:20:23

That looks brilliant. Where do you get them?

Patsy70 Wed 27-Nov-19 22:04:52

Lakeland! They are brilliant!

Auntieflo Wed 27-Nov-19 22:08:52

I just make a cheese sandwich, then toast it in my George Forman grill.
Pre heat the grill while making a sandwich, then toast for 3-4 minutes.
Delicious, and the grill is easy to clean, being non stick.

I have not tried Toaster bags, as I didn't think my toaster slots would be wide enough to take a sandwich.

rosenoir Wed 27-Nov-19 22:32:06

You can buy the bags in most supermarkets and poundshops.

MiniMoon Wed 27-Nov-19 23:18:50

I threw my sandwich toaster away. I toast sandwiches in the frying pan or the ninja foodi. Both easier to clean than a sandwich toaster.

Hetty58 Wed 27-Nov-19 23:24:34

I really loved apple and cheese toasties - but yes, the (impossible to clean) toaster was lobbed into a skip!

Teacheranne Wed 27-Nov-19 23:56:52

Toastie bags will not fit in my toaster so, fed up with trying to clean my toastie maker, I bought a microwaveable grill from Lakeland - well worth the £30! It cooks all sorts of things and can be washed in the dishwasher. It browns the food such as bread, sausages, bacon etc by heating the grills empty for 3 mins first, then placing the food in between the plates, squishing them together with elastic catches and cooking again for up to three more minutes. Any grease easily drains into the grill lines.

I've tried cooking a variety of things, and it has all turned out well - I even "grilled" onion slices to go with the hot dogs I made today.

kittylester Thu 28-Nov-19 07:13:15

I have a sandwich press rather than a sandwich maker which is much easier to clean.

craftyone Thu 28-Nov-19 08:12:24

only 3 days ago I bought a panini maker because I have been craving a filled panini. I researched and got a mini maker from breville, via sainsbury. I have toast bags and they are excellent for thinner fillings. What I liked about breville was the reviews plus the flat easy clean plates. Best for me is that it is excellent for one

Willow500 Thu 28-Nov-19 08:17:18

I've got a microwave toaster and it makes the best toasties we've had in 3.5 minutes. It's silicone on the outside with metal plates inside and they just wipe clean in seconds. Favourite for me is cheese slices with cracked black pepper from Lidl grin

Pantglas2 Thu 28-Nov-19 09:12:35

I also use the bags and if I’ve overfilled the sandwich and it’s too thick for the toaster, I simply flatten the sandwich with all my weight once it’s in the bag and quickly pop it in before it recovers! That usually seals it as well so job done!

TerriBull Thu 28-Nov-19 09:58:15

In the past I've had a couple of sandwich makers, a bit messy and consigned to the cupboard. I now use the sandwich basket/cage thing we bought as an accessory with our Dualit toaster, does the job pretty well with a minimum of cleaning

Hetty58 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:03:37

I like the idea of the microwave toaster. I'll put it on my Christmas list!

shysal Thu 28-Nov-19 11:03:24

I use a mini George Forman grill for toasties. I learnt when I bought it that inserting a wad of wet folded kitchen paper after turning off makes it easy to clean a while later with just a wipe. I would imagine the same method would work in an electric sandwich toaster.

I have used the bags but find the filling hardly heats up in the toaster so have to finish in the microwave.

loopylou Thu 28-Nov-19 11:15:50

? Pantglas2
-I also use the bags and if I’ve overfilled the sandwich and it’s too thick for the toaster, I simply flatten the sandwich with all my weight once it’s in the bag and quickly pop it in before it recovers! That usually seals it as well so job done!-
The sandwich probably wouldn't recover if I did this!

loopylou Thu 28-Nov-19 11:41:25

Oops! Big italics fail ??

Fennel Thu 28-Nov-19 17:05:16

Thanks to all for the various ideas. I'm going to try the special bags first. Husband bought me the machine as a present and is always complaining that I don't clean it. He's a bit OCD.
So i try to hide it from him.
I had a toastie maker years ago, when they first came out ?70s?. I seem to remember you had to put the buttered side out when you cooked it.
Our children liked baked bean toasties.

Franbern Sun 08-Dec-19 08:11:24

I purchased a microwave toaster, and it is very simple to use, quick and easy to clean. Only problem is that this is now encouraging me to eat more cheese, which is not good for my weight!!!

Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:20:08

It's very important that I never have a toastie maker in any form. I just adore cheese and tomato toasties and live on them if on holiday.
I would be an absolutely colossal size if I could make them at home. ?

Fennel Sun 08-Dec-19 09:27:17

grin.

midgey Sun 08-Dec-19 09:40:01

Warburtons make a ‘toastie pocket’, they are really good! Made from the same sort of ‘bread’ that thins are made of. They are ideal if you don’t want to eat too much bread or perhaps not well enough to manage a large bread sandwich. Definitely recommend. grin