Gransnet forums

House and home

Rose bowl

(21 Posts)
JackyB Fri 03-Jan-20 16:36:03

I "claimed" a rose bowl from my mother's belongings, mainly for the inscription on it, as it was presented to her for services to the local twin-town society which she did secretarial and administrative duties for many years after we had grown out of exchange visits to France.

But today whilst shopping I thought I'd get some roses and try my hand at filling it. I love doing flowers but am not very good at it. The rose bowl is quite foolproof though and here is a photo of my first effort.

The florist said it didn't matter that the roses had to be cut so short - in fact she said they should even last longer.

Did anyone else learn about flower arranging at school? Do people do it much these days, and which do you prefer - modern or Japanese style arrangements, traditional ones like this, fiddly little flowers or big splashes of colour, bought or wild flowers?

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:37:57

That looks lovely *JackyB88

I'm afraid my "flower arranging" is a kind of plonk them in a vase with as little disturbance as possible! I do strip off any lower leaves though.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:38:22

88? sorry JackyB

crazyH Fri 03-Jan-20 16:44:38

Looks lovely JackyB ..

Nannarose Fri 03-Jan-20 16:45:45

We have an inherited rose bowl, kept for similar reasons. It comes out for weddings & funerals, and costs a fortune to fill properly. I think it was probably a nice thing when people grew roses in the garden.
I think yours looks very good, and you should be very proud.

JackyB Fri 03-Jan-20 16:46:48

If anyone else arranges their own flowers it would be nice to see more photos to get ideas. When I visit a church I always take pictures of the flowers, as they won't be there the next time whereas the church has been there for hundreds of years.

Nothing wrong with plonking them in a vase. They will have been bound in a reasonably artistic way by the florist, and flowers are lovely anyway.

Except gerbera. Am I alone in finding them "vulgar"?

ladymuck Fri 03-Jan-20 16:54:44

That looks very pretty, JackyB. I also inherited a rose bowl from my mum. I have put artificial roses in mine. I won't post a picture because I'm a 'plonker' too!

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-Jan-20 06:59:31

Being a minimalist at heart, the Japanese style appeals to me. Twisted willow, one bloom and some smooth stones kind of thing grin

But I love all flowers, so anything pleases me.

That rose bowl looks gorgeous.

J52 Sat 04-Jan-20 08:07:55

Lovely arrangement. I always have flowers in the house, I know some people don’t like cut flowers.
My mother had a book by Constance Spry, who was the ‘expert’ flower arranger of the 1960s. I loved looking at the photos, but they were all very formal arrangements.
I recently went to a flower arranging demonstration given by a Chelsea gold medal winner. Full of wonderful ideas for using different objects in the display and less but more luxurious blooms.
Have a look on Pinterest for ideas, tips and inspiration. It’s a lovely pastime to have

kittylester Sat 04-Jan-20 08:15:47

Lovely arrangement, jackyb.

My DH bought me a flower arranging course one Christmas. I loved it!

My tip is to make friends with your local florist and ask their advice.

BlueSapphire Sat 04-Jan-20 08:22:05

That looks so pretty Jacky. I am afraid I belong to the plonk them in school!
Sadly I daren't have flowers in the house because I have two curious cats who would be bound to knock them over and result in a broken vase and water everywhere. And if course lilies are a no because they are extremely toxic to cats.

lemongrove Sat 04-Jan-20 08:36:53

I have a glass rose bowl, and use artificial ( realistic ones) when I can’t get roses from the garden, and yes it’s a foolproof way of arranging Jacky and always looks good.
I also like jugs of flowers from the garden in a plonked in kind
Of natural look.
Haven’t done an arranging course though, I just go with whatever looks right to me.

Niobe Sat 04-Jan-20 10:37:50

I have a little crystal rose bowl. It has the little wire support to prop up the flowers and you have inspired me to get it out of the cupboard.
When we were selling our last house I used to buy cut flowers so I always had some around but I must admit that I've fallen out of the habit now so one of my new year resolutions will be to treat myself more often and use some of my vases and jugs again.

Talking about vases, when we were in primary school ( in the 50s and early 60s) our teachers would have a collection of chipped vases and jam jars to put flowers into and to this day I love to see flowers in jam jars! My favourite jars were the rounded jars from Roses Lime marmalade. Might acquire one now!

Happygirl79 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:43:57

Quite beautiful.

Davida1968 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:39:33

After attending a few talks on flower arranging over the years, I'm not much better at it, but even for simply putting flowers in a vase, I have learned some good tips, one being what JackyB says about cutting stems shorter. (I understand that this works for any flowers - makes them last longer.) The other tip is to remove all extraneous leaves, (unless wanted for the display) so that the flower itself gets all the water and "food".

Sarahmob Mon 13-Jan-20 09:51:41

I arranged the flowers for my daughters wedding bouquet and bridesmaids posies (she said she wasn’t going to bother with the expense of fresh flowers but I said I’d have been sad if there weren’t any). I was a complete novice but think I did an ok job. Also did the buttonholes.

Greyduster Mon 13-Jan-20 13:23:53

I have a Stuart crystal rose bowl with a support grill, and used it as a centrepiece filled with flowers to match the best China when we had dinner parties. It was very effective. It now sits on a dressing table and has become a receptical for sundry bits and pieces and DH’s football season ticket! I may claim it back at some point. Love the floral arrangements here!

Grammaretto Mon 13-Jan-20 21:24:42

I have just realised I own a rose bowl! We were given a silver bowl and I was not sure what it was but now I have seen yours, I think it must be. It's silver (plate)
Your display looks beautiful.

anikers Fri 30-Oct-20 05:28:42

That is a beautiful rose bowl. Matches with the flowers you picked.

@sarahmob thanks for sharing those lovely photos

Beechnut Fri 30-Oct-20 06:13:14

Beautiful flower arrangements. No idea what I’m doing really. If I am given a florist bouquet I try to arrange them as they have. I attended a flower arranging demonstration years ago and won the white arrangement at the end of the evening.

M0nica Fri 30-Oct-20 21:23:49

It looks lovely. I have been shopping for Vernon Ward pictures today. It reminds me of them.

My mother was a very good flower arranger. She used to be invited to make arrangements for flower festivals and the like. All learnt after she retired. Unfortunately her skills were not transferred to any of her daughters, we are all of the 'plonk them in a vase' school of flower arranging.