Gransnet forums

House and home

Can openers for those of us with arthritic hands.Can youne suggest the easiest electric opener for mr to buy please suggest the easiest to use of the electric openers

(16 Posts)
suey Fri 03-Jan-20 16:57:20

I find that I can't use any usual can openers ?because of arthritic hands. Can anyone please suggest the easiest of electric openers for me to buy.? Ideally a battery operated one as I don't want holes in my wall! Even the clamping together of 2 surfaces seems to be beyond me. Thank you.

FlexibleFriend Fri 03-Jan-20 17:35:52

I've only tried the one I bought, it's electric plugs into the wall, I haven't got holes in my walls. It stands on the worktop and the can turns itself once in place.
Like this www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-CO606-CH-Can-Opener/dp/B00013JWUA/ref=sr_1_16?crid=32J463O7B81LR&keywords=electric+can+openers+all&sprefix=electric+can%2Caps%2C184&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1578072883&sr=8-16

aprilrose Sat 04-Jan-20 06:31:32

I have a Kenwood like that of FlexibleFriend. I like mine . I bought it when I had a severe repetitive strain injury on my wrist and hand and couldnt turn a manual one. Its electric, plugs into a 3 pin socket, stands on the work surface as I dont like drilling holes in my walls either.

I am not sure if it would work for arthritic hands though.

BlueSapphire Sat 04-Jan-20 08:30:21

I have a Kenwood too, so easy to use. There is a magnet on it which holds the can in place while opening, but you do have to be ready to 'catch' the tin once the lid is off.

GrandmaMoira Sat 04-Jan-20 09:03:35

I have an electric one which I can't manage but do like my Oxo good grips manual opener. Does anyone else find the ring pull openers a nuisance? They are so much harder to open than a normal can. I have a gadget for them, impossible otherwise.

Gaunt47 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:10:00

GrandmaMoira - There's a gadget for ring pulls? Please could you share the make, what it's called, etc? Thank you.

Hetty58 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:12:27

I have a ProCook Automatic Can Opener - good for a weak grip.

Hetty58 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:14:31

I was put off the electric ones as I don't understand how you can clean them!

BlueSapphire Sat 04-Jan-20 10:55:26

Hetty, the cutting part pulls right out very easily and will even go in the dishwasher. But easy enough to clean in soapy water if you wish.

Judy54 Sat 04-Jan-20 17:08:15

I use one called JML hands free automatic which is battery operated. I think it was purchased at Argos for around £15. You just put it on the tin lid press a button and the lid comes away clean with no jagged edges. It works well for me.

MiniMoon Sat 04-Jan-20 17:32:30

I've got a JML electric can opener. The battery lasts for ages. The only can it won't open is a small can of Carnation milk.

welbeck Sat 04-Jan-20 18:03:50

I've used a one=touch culinaire, no problems, but reading the reviews, some people have had problems.
JML do a similar item.
suggest you google battery-operated can openers and read reviews. buy from a reputable source. JML usually good.
(john mills who started ?still owns the company was leader of the council, Camden, was married to the former DPP dame Barbara mills, was stabbed almost on his doorstep returning home one evening, fell into her arms, thankfully recovered eventually; his brother david was married to Tessa jowell. john mills was is a good egg; a well run company, importing some v useful products, not found elsewhere. ) I'd give JML a go.

Elegran Sat 04-Jan-20 19:05:19

I've just ordered one of these. I'll report back on howI get on with the it once it arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014MUWWOK/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item?tag=gransnetforum-21 It isn't electric, but it gets very good reviews for being easy to use with painful hands - you work the handle back and forth to open the tin.

For ring-pulls the little hook on the side goes under the ring to start it off, then the tool is used as a lever. I used to insert a wooden spoon handle into the ring, then lever the spoon against the can, but the spoon is quite thick and it has become difficult for me to do it that way.

Elegran Mon 06-Jan-20 15:19:59

OK, it has arrived, and I have opened one tin of sliced carrots and one can of bitter lemon, so I can now pose as an expert.

I liked this tool.

It works on a different principal to most tin-openers. Instead of turning it round and round to cut, you move the handle back and forwards. It takes far less effort than usual, and doesn't hurt arthritic hands. It doesn't cut into the metal, it unfolds the bit of the side that is bent over the edge of the top circle, leaving edges that are not sharp. You then use the little metal clippers sticking out of the side to remove the top. Your fingers, and the tin-opener, don't have to touch the top at all, so the opener stays clean and just needs a quick wipe.

You do have to start it off in the right position, or it doesn't grip the tin, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. It is slower than the usual round-and-round action, but takes less hand-power. You need to note where on the tin you start, and stop once you have gone right round - it doesn't come loose at that point like a conventonal opener so that you are aware that you are finished, so you could keep going for ever. Rinsing out the tin before putting it into the recycling is much safer than with the usual razor-sharp edges.

On the side is a little beak for inserting into a ring-pull and levering it off (my main reason for choosing this, though having bought it I appreciate the tin-opener function, too). I had a bit of a problem working out exactly which angle to insert it at, but once I worked that out, it was simple to use and accomplished the task without much effort.

Hope this is useful.

Elegran Mon 06-Jan-20 15:21:30

Should have added "touch the food or the mess" to "don't have to touch the top at all,"

suey Tue 07-Jan-20 19:23:22

thank you all for your suggestions. I have just bought a JML , tried it and it is marvellous!