Gransnet forums

House and home

New extension

(23 Posts)
CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 11:33:07

We are in the process of purchasing a bungalow and wish to extend probably a 10x3 metre. I would like a contemporary look with sliding doors and don’t really mind if it’s rendered or brick. It would be a kitchen/dining/lounge. I am moving some 3 miles from Crewe.

Does anyone have any experience of costs to this having perhaps completed theirs recently?

Eglantine21 Sun 26-Jan-20 11:54:16

About 35,00 for the basics.

Extra for pitched roof.

Extra for glass sliding doors.

Plus fittings which can vary widely especially kitchen fittings.

Architect and planning fees.

£60 to 70 thousand?

Eglantine21 Sun 26-Jan-20 11:54:32

Iwastoldtheredbecake Sun 26-Jan-20 12:47:26

There’s a web site called What Price, you put in your measurements for the extension and it comes up with a basic cost, excluding VAT , fittings, drainage, architects fees etc.

midgey Sun 26-Jan-20 12:56:19

Whatever you work out....double it!

Dec46 Sun 26-Jan-20 12:56:50

I would contact local Builders and ask for an estimate of cost and that should give you an idea.
When I bought my property I got a local builder to come to the property with me pointing out all of the alterations I would want doing before deciding to go ahead with the purchase
Also as you want an extension make sure you don't need Planning or any other permissions.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 17:03:31

Thanks, blimey one say 35k another 60-70k!

I had thought a flat roof with one of those fancy glass type arches in. Yes, patio doors sliding two lots. Surely, these must be cheaper than bricks and the laying of?

I am trying to get a builder to come along with the ideas.

janeainsworth Sun 26-Jan-20 17:32:42

3x10 metres is quite large.
We are soon having a sunroom built on to the back of the house. Internal dimensions 3x3m, one solid brick wall, 2 mainly glass with French windows. A solid roof with 2 velux windows.
We don’t need planning permission but it will be inspected for compliance with building regs.
We have been quoted £19K so bearing in mind that you will be putting in a kitchen as well, I think £35K is probably well below what yours will cost Coolio

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 17:41:58

Jane
The width of the bungalow is 10m and I thought I would knock the back wall down (not myself personally) and extend out 3m as the bungalow is on a nice plot and would take this. The second bedroom would then become part of the lounge. The lounge at the front would make a lovely size bedroom and bedroom one would be bedroom 2. I may go and measure it out next weekend as you could be right I could have a lot of space! That is not the idea.

varian Sun 26-Jan-20 17:45:35

Consult an architect. Ask for recomendations then check that their name is on the Architects Register (google ARB). Be wary of using an unqualified designer claiming to be an "architectural consultant" who may have no qualifications at all. Architect's training takes seven years, typically five years at university and two years in practice. Many architects offer a free initial consultation and would then advise on costs.

Happygirl79 Sun 26-Jan-20 17:45:47

60k?

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 17:48:53

Thanks, I will consult an Architect and will be careful as you suggest.

Thanks everyone I had hoped 40K tops but as Jane suggested 10x3 could be a bit big!

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 17:49:26

It’s all got to be cleaned when said and done!

GrannyLaine Sun 26-Jan-20 17:55:28

We've recently had a rear extension under permitted development, approx 30 sq metres. The roof part was quite costly because of the particular spec that we wanted to make it look right with the rest of the house. We also had to excavate a great deal of (raised) back garden. Including architects fees, £70k And its fabulous. Hope this helps.

quizqueen Sun 26-Jan-20 18:00:30

I have just completed an extension of about the same size-enlarging kitchen to provide a dining area and then continuing along to give an extra room (study) with shower en suite-all in costs to include local council planning fees, architect (£1,000), building regs inspector (£500), new kitchen (£5,500), flooring/tiling, fixtures and fittings, decoration, pitched room with 3 Velux windows £55,000.

Ellianne Sun 26-Jan-20 18:18:44

We are spending around £22,000 for a small extension to fit an ensuite onto a downstairs bedroom. It's all to do with where the drains are or are not.

M0nica Sun 26-Jan-20 18:20:31

Having just received figures for an extension, which we are not going ahead with as we couldn't afford it, £60-70,000 seems the absolute minimum, could go as high as £100,000.

We are currently cutting our extension to 3m x 4m, including new kitchen fitting, plus gutting an interior area 2.5 m x 4m to form a new cloakroom and utility room. We hope this will come in around £60,000.

Building costs have rocketed in recent years, plus VAT

janeainsworth Sun 26-Jan-20 18:46:42

Coolio If you’re thinking of knocking the back wall down you definitely need to consult an architect imho. You’ll need to take into account the safety of the structural aspects and so on & you need to be able to visualise what it will finally look & feel like.
We did an extension at my workplace to provide an extra room & the roof for the new part had to have a steel reinforced beam to support it.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 19:30:37

Oh yes Jane, I realise that we will need a structural engineer regarding knocking the back wall down to measure the beam size. I think I will take a measure with me next week to see how far the 3m is out from the bungalow as I am beginning to think it’s all a bit big. We definitely want it going across the whole of the bungalow and move walls internally as well to make an additional bathroom.

I am looking at taking tiles back from here portugal as that will save my costs. I may also take back kitchen worktop as it’s very expensive in the UK. It’s pricey here but not as so.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 19:33:34

GranyLaine
Your extension sounds about the same size as I had anticipated before I wrote in here.

Did you have a flat roof on yours? I anticipated a flat roof with a dome which I don’t think will be as expensive as pitched. Please advise if you disagree?

J52 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:44:30

I’d second using an architect. Extensions to the rear of a building often end up with the original rooms being robbed of natural light and thus end up as ‘dead’ spaces.

GrannyLaine Sun 26-Jan-20 20:00:35

CoolioC we have a central part of flat roof with a flat rooflight, but it is surrounded by a pitched , tiled part so the flat roof is concealed & only visible from upstairs. The pitched part of the roof has allowed us to have a higher ceiling height in the new room. We have a fair bit of lead work on the roof which was costly. You are right that a lantern light would be less expensive but it wouldn't have worked in our house as the bedrooms above look out over open fields and we didn't want to obstruct the view.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 20:39:51

Sounds wonderful GrannyLaine. Mine would be flat joining a bungalow so no extensive work.