Gransnet forums

House and home

Artex ceilings

(23 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 20:45:06

My living room has Artex ceilings which I have always liked. I find however, they are very dated and everyone I know who had them have had them skimmed. I don't fancy the mess but now I feel they need to go. Has anyone still got theirs.

Happygirl79 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:47:13

No.
Not seen an artexed ceiling for years to be honest
Its a time consuming and messy job to remove them though
And an expensive one too

Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 20:50:03

Perhaps if they are now rare they might come back in fashion.

annodomini Tue 04-Feb-20 21:10:02

When I moved here almost 20 years ago, I did notice that there were Artex ceilings but didn't fancy the expense and mess of changing them. Now I hope that the fashion for all things 'retro' will bring them back and everyone will suddenly want them. hmm

MissAdventure Tue 04-Feb-20 21:10:30

The whole of my flat is artexed and chip papered.
The ultimate style queen, that's me!

A few months ago I convinced myself that I would be able to skim it all over, but then, well, I remembered my limitations.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Feb-20 21:15:52

Also, depending on when the artex was done, it's possible it may contain asbestos.
Mine definitely does.

Chewbacca Tue 04-Feb-20 21:16:25

Bought this house about 9 months ago and the very first thing I did was to have every artexed wall and ceiling skimmed over. It made a mess but it was worth it just to get rid of those ugly swirls and dimples, full of clogged up paint, dirt and grease. Yuk.

Greenfinch Tue 04-Feb-20 21:20:23

We have Artex ceilings in several rooms but it does not bother me. I don't spend a lot of time looking up.

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Feb-20 21:59:14

We have lightly stippled artex ceilings and it doesn't bother me at all. They were done when the house was built.

Charleygirl5 Tue 04-Feb-20 22:05:34

My house was built in 1988, I bought it in 1996 and every ceiling was artexed. I have had about 4 ceilings skimmed and I would love to have my living room skimmed but the dust and mess would be too much.

lucywinter Tue 04-Feb-20 22:07:27

We've got artex ceilings, just lightly stippled. No swirls or anything. They were my choice when we built the house in the sixties. I don't notice them tbh. Was only recently that I realised everybody didn't have them.

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 22:21:31

We are like Annodomini. Lightly stippled ceilings.
Also wood chip in the hall, stairs and landing. I did it, and can remember the terror of being high up over the stair well. DH was worse than me, so held the ladder.
Our dining room suite is G-Plan.
I think that's now called mid century Danish, and very sought after.
Up to date, that's us. ?

POGS Tue 04-Feb-20 22:45:59

Sparkling.

My advice would be get a quote for skimming over and putting up new boarding for new plastering.

It can create a hell of a mess skimming over and dependent on how high your ceilings are and if you have any ' hairline cracks' new ceiling boards could be a better option if financially OK.

Good luck.

annodomini Wed 05-Feb-20 00:02:49

Perhaps my answer would be to do away with up-lighter ceiling fittings. then the artex wouldn't be noticeable!

Daddima Wed 05-Feb-20 07:50:47

I have an Artex ceiling AND woodchip wallpaper in the bedrooms.
I don’t care!

vegansrock Wed 05-Feb-20 08:30:19

Artex is horrible and was just used to cover up cracks and because it was easier to put up than level plastering. It does harbour dust and mites. Hides a lot of dodgy workmanship. So glad it’s out of fashion. But if it floats your boat ......

Franbern Wed 05-Feb-20 08:54:15

My last house had artex ceilings everywhere. Very heavy, thick, ugly Artex a lot of it -and this was continued on the walls down to the picture rail.
Back in 2006 I had the entire ground floor, Kitchen, hallway, through lounge all skimmed over to give me matt flat ceilings. The long galley kitchen, over the years had several alterations and this had left its ceilings with about four different height areas. This was also sorted out at the same time, and the amount of extra light those flat ceilings reflected was amazing.
The company I employed did a magnificent job, firstly they did check to ensure there was no asbstetos there. I can remember that it cost me about a thousand pounds for this job back then, but well worth it. Left the upstairs bedrooms ceilings with their light artex.
Couple of years ago I asked the same company for a quote for one of the bedrooms ceilings and they told me that they no longer did this 'skimming' as they had found that it often caused later problems. They wanted either to take that ceiling down and replace, or else put up boards below the existing ceiling - as this would have proved very pricey for a spare bedroom ceiling I did not go ahead.
The flat that I recently moved to has very lightly artexed ceilings throughout. When I purchased it, one of the certificates I received was one saying the block of flats was Asbestos free.
Must say, they do not worry me and as they have all been painted with normal ceiling paint seem t reflect as much light as a flat one. Do not think I will go to the expense of having them altered when I get around to arranging new decoration here.
As has been said, probably will come back into fashion pretty soon.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 05-Feb-20 08:58:24

All upstairs in our house was stippled but we had that skimmed over. Sitting/dinning room however has a wonderful fan design and I love it. Don't care if its in fashion or not.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 21:06:20

My house has artex ceilings very light stipple effect and coving round, I actually like it, fits in with the era of the house, certainly wouldn’t have them skimmed

bikergran Tue 18-Feb-20 08:09:06

Artex ceilings here, house is 20 yrs old.

Think if you have them skimmed it needs to be perfect as slightest imperfections will show, especially when lamps are on.

Mine is just lightly stippled. Remember when they used to paper the ceilings! my dh was a painter and decorator..it always amazed me how he made it look so easy to paper a ceiling!

Mapleleaf Tue 18-Feb-20 08:26:26

Most of the ceilings here are artexed. Not a problem for me, and I don't find they harbour dust and mites (!), a regular vacuum helps with that. Each to their own, of course, but it would be a lot of expense and mess to have them all skimmed, so they will stay as they are. I don't dislike them to be honest, and I don't care what anyone else thinks of my home anyway. ?

ninathenana Tue 18-Feb-20 09:28:58

We have lightly stippled ceilings everywhere except the kitchen which was skimmed during a revamp. Ours are not artex though they are done with textured paint.
We have two Schreiber wall units Auntiflo also considered retro these days.

Alexa Tue 18-Feb-20 10:21:21

All deco in my house was second hand. I positively like two of the artexed ceiling patterns even after 20 years but one of them was a design of zigzags which had to be removed asap.