Gransnet forums

House and home

Decorating mistake

(10 Posts)
Ngaio1 Wed 05-Feb-20 12:26:30

Help, please! \I painted samples of paint directly onto my walls instead of card or paper. The colours are very different to my room colour. Shan't make this mistake again!. Can I disguise them or is there a trick to make them disappear, please?

ninathenana Wed 05-Feb-20 13:16:58

A couple of coats of white emulsion should cover them then you can then use your chosen colour.

jusnoneed Wed 05-Feb-20 13:21:42

Yep, agree with nina, we always go over walls with cheap white emulsion before painting if it's going to be a much different colour. Easier than trying to cover a dark colour with a light one.

NotSpaghetti Wed 05-Feb-20 13:23:36

I always try samples on the actual wall. It looks different to card/paper. I also like to try in different areas. Like others I just paint over them.
Hope you have found a colour you like.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 13:26:07

I thought the whole idea of paint samples was to paint it on the walls, on each wall actually to get the light from windows etc.
I am sure the idea above will help.
I hope you get a satisfactory colour that pleases you.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 13:27:28

Crossed posts NotSpaghetti

NotSpaghetti Wed 05-Feb-20 14:02:17

Great minds annsixty
?

MerylStreep Wed 05-Feb-20 14:07:33

Ngaiol
There's no 'trick' to make it go away. It's called sand paper.

GrannyLaine Wed 05-Feb-20 14:11:33

Another helpful thing I learned years ago is to have some pieces of hardboard cut and put a couple of coats of tester on that. Be sure to label with the chosen colour. You can then hold them up in different lights and keep them for use again. In that way, you don't mess up the decor till you are ready to start.
I usually go to B&Q and choose a smallish sheet of hardboard and they will cut it for free into the required number of pieces.

Ngaio1 Wed 05-Feb-20 18:39:27

Thank you everyone. Will do the white emulsion thing. I am creating "mood" boards for colour inspiration.