Mice!

(18 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 14:24:52

smile

That's the best solution ever.

Envious Sat 08-Feb-20 14:23:16

My new mouser. I pick her up today.

Envious Thu 06-Feb-20 04:23:11

vampirequeenMy husband named the mouse Mr. Jingles after the movie The green mile.

vampirequeen Thu 06-Feb-20 02:58:19

Snap traps baited with mars bars are effective. I also put poison at the back of cupboards and the fridge. Mice are supposed to like to move around the edge of the room but Stuart used to sit in the middle of the living room watching TV with us on a night.....with the cat laid asleep next to him.

Envious Thu 06-Feb-20 00:09:38

Does she look like a mouser? She’s 8 and 1/2 her former mum died. She’s with a rescue.

Jane10 Wed 05-Feb-20 21:32:31

Just get another furry purring mouse deterrent ? ?

MamaCaz Wed 05-Feb-20 20:13:25

When we moved onto our current house over 20 years ago, there were various signs that there had been a mouse problem.

As we needed to decorate from top to bottom anyway to make it habitable, we blocked every single gap on the place (around pipes, along skirting boards, vents etc) and so far no mice have found a way back into our living space.

They are still in the loft space, and have been accompanied at various times over the years by rats, squirrels and bats, and I have very occasionally heard scratching behind the skirting, but so far our main defences have held.

Coolgran65 Wed 05-Feb-20 20:00:35

Are snap traps the old fashioned type with the spring?

We would regularly get them in our garage and use the old fashioned traps. They haven't made it indoors thankfully.

Septimia Wed 05-Feb-20 18:39:12

Envious, I did feel that everything was contaminated. Everything was cleaned very thoroughly once I realised what was going on and a good deal was thrown away.

I've been happy with humane traps since then because the furry critters we find now are all outdoor animals that the cats have caught. If I felt that we still had house mice despite all efforts I'd certainly use snap traps!

Whiff Wed 05-Feb-20 17:22:49

Found mice when I brought my new home. It had been empty for a year. Got pest controllers in . Got rid of them. Brought 2 large plug in rodent repellers from Screwfix they work.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Feb-20 16:56:03

I must admit, I felt quite murderous when the little sods started making themselves more and more at home in my flat.
Eating my crisps, wandering out of an evening, and "bruxing" under my bed.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 05-Feb-20 16:51:33

Steel wool for blocking up any holes bigger than a pencil is effective. My friend was told to spray bleach on the droppings before sweeping them up as they may be germ-laden (which germs, I do not know!) so that would do your cleaning at the same time.

Those of you who use humane traps may be admirable, but in my opinion, the only good mouse (in a house) is a dead mouse. DD used one of the ultrasound scarers and had no further problems once she got rid of her mice.

Envious Wed 05-Feb-20 16:50:44

I caught the mouse with a snap trap I put peanut butter on. I saw it’s little leg sticking out sad and I had to get my husband to dispose of it. It came out at night. It even jump on my husbands lounge chair when he was in it!

MissAdventure Wed 05-Feb-20 16:26:28

I used snap traps when I had mice.
I debated for weeks, researched the most humane method (because apparently the live ones aren't, really) watched some YouTube videos of traps in action...
Then did the deed.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 05-Feb-20 16:20:26

Traps, humane if possible, then a new cat!

Domestic do a spray bleach type of cleaner, but if the mice can get into the drawer then there must be a way putting a trap down.

However, keeping them out of the house in the first place is an ongoing problem for us too, as DH is very allergic to cats, I’m putting poison bait down around backs of cupboards etc.its the kind that mummifies the mice so they don’t pong, plus throwing bait blocks liberally around in the loft.
As mice can get through a gap the size of a pencil, I don’t think I’ll ever prevent them from coming indoors.

Envious Wed 05-Feb-20 16:20:00

So you didn’t feel like all your surfaces were germ laden? I’ll look into the mouse scarers. Thanks

Septimia Wed 05-Feb-20 16:17:06

Mice were getting into my utensil drawer, too, and had eaten the stain remover soap in the cupboard under the sink. I had a good look and realised that there were holes in the backs of the units for pipes and wires to come through, so I blocked them.

I also bought some of the ultra-sonic mouse scarers and some humane traps. We find peanuts work well in the traps and, to be honest, having caught a number of mice and re-homed them well away from the house, most of the small furry things we catch now are voles and woodmice the cat brings in alive.

Envious Wed 05-Feb-20 16:09:32

My cat passed on last summer and now I’ve caught a mouse! How do I calm down and not feel like my kitchen isn’t a contaminated mine field???? My neighbor feeds the birds and has seed all over the ground and we share a driveway. He’s so kind and I don’t mine him feeding birds. I found mice poo in my utensil drawer and saw where the mouse has eaten the drawer liner. How do I clean and calm down so I don’t call an estate agent? I know mice carry all sorts of germs. sad