Gransnet forums

House and home

Storm damage

(20 Posts)
silversurf Sun 09-Feb-20 14:28:08

Three panes of glass in greenhouse broken,
Plastic patio set blown over and leg broken off of table.
Hope it stops soon

midgey Sun 09-Feb-20 14:38:17

Suns out in Staffordshire, and much calmer.....for awhile!

Shandy57 Sun 09-Feb-20 14:45:56

Sorry you've had damage. Awfully windy here, I'm just hiding in the kitchen with the radio on loud.

I went out into the garden last night and tried to identify things that might blow around. Just bought my bins right into the garden and laid them down flat, weighted down the empty dumpy wood bags that are waiting to be collected, and opened my wooden gates so they wouldn't be bent in the wind. Years ago my son's football would have appeared on the road somewhere smile

MiniMoon Sun 09-Feb-20 16:40:00

I think DH's greenhouse escaped unscathed, but I haven't had a proper look. The poly tunnel survived the battering as he had it well tied down.

I hope the flooding across the main road has subsided by the time we have to go out. We are going to a magic show tonight.

M0nica Sun 09-Feb-20 16:49:11

As I lay in the bath this morning I heard a bumping and the sound of something falling and a few minutes later I heard it again.

When I got out of the bath I walked round the house, but coulodn't see anything fallen indoors. then I looked outside and say a clay roof tile on the ground, so the banging was the tile bouncing its way to the ground. I will walk round the outside of the house tomorrow and check whether anymore need replacing, we usually lose a couple every winter. It is a standard old house, clay peg tile roof problem.

Shandy57 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:17:24

Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else that has left gates open to avoid wind damage. It is slightly different as my house is for sale, but I went to my front door to find a car parked in my drive, and a couple just sauntering out of my garden. Such a cheek - they said they'd had my house on their list to view for ages. How rude to actually park and enter my garden without knocking at my door, I'm so glad I have a padlock on the metal gates at the top.

SalsaQueen Sun 09-Feb-20 19:37:50

My bird table blew over......grin. That's the extent of it on my street.

Auntieflo Sun 09-Feb-20 21:33:01

As far as I know, we haven't suffered any damage, but, a friend at Church this morning said " you look how I feel", (think pulled through a hedge backwards), and I thought I had got away with it! ?

BlueSapphire Sun 09-Feb-20 22:03:37

A fence half fallen over, funnily enough, not the one I was worried about. Will be ringing the man tomorrow.

MawB Sun 09-Feb-20 23:27:35

I understand the storm blew off the roof of a local cheese factory.
De Brie everywhere.

BBbevan Mon 10-Feb-20 07:20:42

Maw ???

Yehbutnobut Mon 10-Feb-20 07:49:48

???

ginny Mon 10-Feb-20 08:04:27

Three fence panels down.

Liz46 Mon 10-Feb-20 08:04:30

Our chimney is damaged. It looks as though the top of it has moved sideways and the aerial is hanging down.

Yesterday afternoon I looked out of the kitchen window and it looked as though there was a tornado in the back garden. It was wild and I knew there would be some damage. At least two trees are down near us and the pavements are covered in branches.

JackyB Mon 10-Feb-20 08:04:50

DH went out and battened down well but the rainwater butts came a cropper (he had emptied these due to the recent frost, so they didn't have much weight). The lids didn't take off like giant frisbees, thank goodness.

JuliaM Mon 10-Feb-20 08:14:02

Lots of trees blown down locally, and a couple of roads closed due to severe flooding. We lost a couple of fence panels which got completely smashed up, but not too bothered as we will be having a complete new fence in spring anyway.

Some.local stupidity online, young lads looking to hire a chain saw today and offering to cut up fallen trees for £50 each. No previous experiance at the job, very wet green wood, and nodoubt little if any safety equipment, an accident waiting to happen. Lots of older and wiser people telling them not to do.it, and hopefully they will be refused at the hire depots too. Whilst they are to be praised for trying to help, the serious injuries they could do to themselves in the process is simply not worth thinking about, stay safe Boys!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 08:17:54

Don’t think anything has happened here, I ve seen a few pics of small trees or fences down on fb but personally nothing it’s beautiful sunshine today still gale force windy but no worse than that I think we ve been very lucky we did have flood warnings but that seems to have passed without anything happening

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 10-Feb-20 08:44:13

Reporting from South Notts. I've never seen storms like this. My little shed is on its front a few feet away from its usual place - the wind rose up beneath the overhang of the roof and lifted it.
On its 'travels' it bashed into the whirligig washing line which has snapped - completely kaput.
Patio chairs and the bistro table were strewn across the lawn, one is under the shed which may provide space to put hands or whatever under to lift it. One smashed flowerpot, two dustbins blown over. I thought my garden was sheltered.
I reluctantly did my weekly shop so waited for a break in the weather. Torrential rain began as I got in the car! A few of us waited with laden trolleys inside the doors. Signs blowing about and there was indeed flying debris Maw. Flash floods with big puddles in the car park being blown by the wind looked liked a mini version of the waves on a beach. Wet and 'orrible.
Some trees have been blown over and we have traffic chaos as one of our major bridges had to be closed a few days ago due to cracks. Trains, trams and buses all affected. Thankfully I've not heard of any casualties.
Windy weather reminds me of my dear late husband who would put his hands on my shoulders, laugh and say "Stay down!" which still makes me chuckle. Keep safe.

M0nica Mon 10-Feb-20 17:00:22

Been out all day, but I have now walked round the garden and found two of our woven fence panels with wooden posts are dowwn, but the stronger closeboarded panels with cocnrete posts have stood up to the wind. We will probably replace the fence run with the panels that are down with heavy duty fencing, but it is expensive (wince)

However, when I looked at the roof, the tiles that came down were around a boiler flue. We had the boiler moved just before Christmas and our contractor said he would get his roofer in to replace the tiles round the flue, but keeps forgetting. As a result the wind got under the tiles and ripped a fewmor off. Contractor is duly apoligetic and assures us the roofer will give us priority, but at least that little job will not cost anything asit was included in the main quote and we have paid and the cost of the further repiars go on his slate (so to speak).

Mapleleaf Mon 10-Feb-20 17:04:46

It hadn’t been too bad here in comparison to yesterday, but as I type, the wind has picked up again and it’s starting to rain - just in time for the rush hour!