Gransnet forums

House and home

Replacement parts for vintage tea sets?

(13 Posts)
fourormore Tue 11-Feb-20 15:59:14

I have a 36 piece (12 x cup, saucer and plate) tea set in the Bonnie Scotland Royal Standard fine Bone China series.
Each set has a different Scottish tartan featured. It is very treasured as it belonged to my Grandmother and was displayed in her china cabinet for as long as I can remember. 50/60 years or more?
I am looking to replace one cup (Clan Maclean) that has been broken in the past as, although it was a clean break, and glued, it would be lovely if I could replace it.
I have found one on a well-known on-line auction site but I think there may have been several different 'issues' as my set has a soldier wearing the tartan on it, but the ones I've found on-line don't!
I know we have lots of Scottish Gransnetters so, it's a shot in the dark, but does any one know of anywhere that I may be able to obtain a replacement cup from please?

dragonfly46 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:00:53

eBay?

fourormore Tue 11-Feb-20 16:05:33

Yes Dragonfly that was the 'well known on-line auction site' I was referring to, but all the cups listed on there don't have the soldier on!
I would really like to find one with the soldier as all the others have him, but if all else fails I will get one from there. Thanks for responding though!

Chewbacca Tue 11-Feb-20 16:08:41

Try ChinaSearch. They have thousands of sets of tea and dinner services and can repair broken items too.

SparklyGrandma Tue 11-Feb-20 16:09:19

Go on EBay, I did, and found replacement cups. Or buy Homes and Antiques magazine, their small ads include ones for companies that search for replacements for you. Good luck.

SparklyGrandma Tue 11-Feb-20 16:10:35

Or you could find a china restorer and pay to have the broken cup properly restored/ repaired.

fourormore Tue 11-Feb-20 16:14:50

Thanks to all! What an amazing response within about five minutes!
Good ideas x 2 from Sparkly as well thanks - none of the current ebay listed cups have the soldier but I will keep watching!
Hadn't thought of a china restorer though and in a way that would be nicer as it would still be the original 'Nan's cup' !!!

lavenderzen Tue 11-Feb-20 17:10:18

Try "Etsy". There are some on there and if you contact the sellers, they may be able to help.

Elegran Tue 11-Feb-20 18:08:28

This page has a McLean with the kilted figure - only one left!!!!

Elegran Tue 11-Feb-20 18:08:52

Forgot the link. - www.replacements.com/p/royal-standard-bonnie-scotland-footed-cup-saucer-set/rsdbos/62889761

fourormore Tue 11-Feb-20 20:07:20

Thanks everyone - I will explore!!!

Nortsat46 Tue 11-Feb-20 20:17:29

Fourormore, you can set up email alerts on eBay, so that you are notified when certain items are listed.

I had a partial Doulton dinner service which had belonged to my grandmother, and I have picked up many additional pieces. You need to be patient, things do turn up and the alerts mean you won’t miss them.

Good luck?

fourormore Tue 11-Feb-20 22:24:00

Thanks again everyone - I have already set up a search on Ebay Nortsat46 but it's a timely reminder to anyone who is looking to collect or add bits and pieces to a collection.
Last year we started several collections of the various commemorative 50p coins to give to some of our grandchildren for Christmas. We managed to get hold of several simply through the email alerts so they do work.
I will keep hunting as the link Elegran gave me was to an American site and I would rather wait and 'buy British' but please accept my thanks Elegran for your efforts and everyone else!